A stat showing our rebuild has a long way to go..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

A stat showing our rebuild has a long way to go..

Just ranked the players who had (at the start of the season) played < 50 games

In disposal order. Jack Newnes is our highest ranked player...at #116. Seb Ross next at #118

In fantasy points order. Jack Newnes is again our leader...but at #150

Yes stats can lie and no this is not definative by any means..but does kinda show our kids are OK without being the sort of elite that you build your next dynasty around. Maybe an early call and Ill happiy eat my words of need be, but I really dont think the next Roo, Dal or Lenny will come from the class of 2011/12. MIght get the next Geary, or even Armo but that wont get you back into the Top 4 unaided

Does without question indicate though that our next draft picks have to do better..much better than this IMO

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: A stat showing our rebuild has a long way to go..

I'm not prepared to concede that yet.

I reckon the kids have been done a massive disservice by playing in a strangely structured side from week to week.

I don't expect young mids to thrive when they play in a midfield about 6 deep as opposed to the opposition who has about 10+ running through there.

I don't expect young backs to thrive when we've been without a fullback for 2 years demanding more from them than is fair.

I don't expect young forwards to thrive when most of the delivery is to Roo.

4 small forwards to 1, 1 ruck to 2 plus Stanley, tall forward line to small...

We need to get the structure right IMO, perhaps they've ridden off this year and just got games into kids, but if they could play something resembling fixed roles next year I think our kids will be better for it.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Come back when you've done the analysis for the other 17 clubs. I've got no idea what a "normal" figure would be like.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Kiedis
Club Player

I concur with the OP, you look at a 19 year old Wingard for example & you quickly realize our youngens aren't quite up to THAT standard. Not that they should be.. he was pick 6.

But as the OP suggested, this years draft picks must be top-notch. Make #3 really count Sainters..

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Kiedis wrote:I concur with the OP, you look at a 19 year old Wingard for example & you quickly realize our youngens aren't quite up to THAT standard. Not that they should be.. he was pick 6.

But as the OP suggested, this years draft picks must be top-notch. Make #3 really count Sainters..

To have any impact over the next couple of seasons he will have to be Judd/GAblett combined, and just as good in his first game as both of them at their prime.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Kiedis wrote:I concur with the OP, you look at a 19 year old Wingard for example & you quickly realize our youngens aren't quite up to THAT standard. Not that they should be.. he was pick 6.

+1
I think we have a good core group of kids to build on - all of them can play footy.
But to play finals with this emerging group - we will need 3-4 real guns come in.
We need pick 3 and 19 (or whatever it is) to really count! Then hope like hell Markworth and/or Spencer White deliver.

Kiedis
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:

To have any impact over the next couple of seasons he will have to be Judd/GAblett combined, and just as good in his first game as both of them at their prime.
Not looking for the best footy player to have ever lived (though It'd be nice!) but just one that get's a rising star nomination, actually maybe shows a bit in his 1st/2nd season. Not one where you you look back & think how the hell did he go before so & so. I'd love to get the 'so & so' for the first time in a long time..

I've got no idea who that's going to be.. but fingers crossed.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

An on the money thread!

Good work.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The OP is akin to a description of how water is wet. And I don't get the reference to Wingard, yes it looks like Port have uncovered a once in a generation player, it happens, we got it with Roo, West Coast got it with Judd, Geelong got it with Abblet. And at around the time we were all drooling over those mentioned players a young kid called Lenny Hayes who was drafted at number 175 was toiling away at his trade and who was to know he would become the elite player he did.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Number175?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Number175?
I was a couple out wasn't I...was it 75?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Im hoping that our next group that pushes into the finals will be a much more even group - rather than having half a dozen stellars like Roo, BJ, Lenny counterbalanced by an Eddy, McQualter, and guys who cant kick like Gilbo & CJ .. we will have a much more evenly balanced team like the swans.

I can only hope .. its all I have to cling to right now :-)

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
noob
Club Player

I think Lendog was around pick 11 in the 1999 draft. The players we've got I feel can be good players for the club but realistically in the positions that aren't the most important.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think the OP is pretty much on the money.

We will have a lot of GOP's. Newness, Saunders,Wright, Murdoch, Webster,Ross etc

Our top tier will come in the next two to three drafts.

In about 4 - 5 seasons we may well have a bunch of top tier players but with the added bonu s of a list of depth where our bottom six are better than any bottom six we have ever had.

Yours sincerly

pollyanna :lol:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I don't expect young mids to thrive when they play in a midfield about 6 deep as opposed to the opposition who has about 10+ running through there.
You reckon our coach hasn't twigged to this yet, or just doesn't care this season?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lenny was pick 11

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Just ranked the players who had (at the start of the season) played < 50 games

In disposal order. Jack Newnes is our highest ranked player...at #116. Seb Ross next at #118

Yes stats can lie and no this is not definative by any means..but does kinda show our kids are OK without being the sort of elite that you build your next dynasty around. Maybe an early call and Ill happiy eat my words of need be, but I really dont think the next Roo, Dal or Lenny will come from the class of 2011/12. MIght get the next Geary, or even Armo but that wont get you back into the Top 4 unaided

Does without question indicate though that our next draft picks have to do better..much better than this IMO
Can we just clear this stat up -

Are you saying that of all the players in the AFL with under 50 games to their name - I am guessing there are around 20*18 = 360 (but many would be on zero)

Our best are over 100th ranked.

Thats pretty bad

That means (on average) each team has 5 'kids' better than our 'kids'?

Is that what we are saying here?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saint66au wrote:Just ranked the players who had (at the start of the season) played < 50 games

Can we just clear this stat up -

Are you saying that of all the players in the AFL with under 50 games to their name - I am guessing there are around 20*18 = 360 (but many would be on zero)

Our best are over 100th ranked.

Thats pretty bad

That means (on average) each team has 5 'kids' better than our 'kids'?

Is that what we are saying here?
Nah we are saying that if you can't cope you should throw yourself in front of a train....for all you kids (and BigMart) that is a joke.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't buy the champs only come from the top 10 in the draft. Joey was in the 20s, Fisher in the 50s Swan the 50s, Simon Black in the 50s. Plenty of the rookies have been stars even.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I don't buy the champs only come from the top 10 in the draft. Joey was in the 20s, Fisher in the 50s Swan the 50s, Simon Black in the 50s. Plenty of the rookies have been stars even.

Thats true but stats suggest most wont make it. We may get one or at the most 2 stars from the last 2 drafts based on pervious drafts. Most players at our club now will not be there in 4 years time and i mean young and old.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Lenny was pick 11
Armo was pick 9
Jobe Watson was pick 40
Dane Swan was pick 58
Simon Black was pick 31
Adam Goodes was pick 43
Jimmy Bartel was pick 8

What we don't know yet is if Armo will step another gear in the next couple of seasons and for the life of me I can't work out why players such as Newness, Saunders,Wright, Murdoch, Webster, and Ross --that have only started their careers in the past two seasons -- can't become elite or better than GOP. How can we say none of these players can't become elite.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Lenny was pick 11
Armo was pick 9
Jobe Watson was pick 40
Dane Swan was pick 58
Simon Black was pick 31
Adam Goodes was pick 43
Jimmy Bartel was pick 8

What we don't know yet is if Armo will step another gear in the next couple of seasons and for the life of me I can't work out why players such as Newness, Saunders,Wright, Murdoch, Webster, and Ross --that have only started their careers in the past two seasons -- can't become elite or better than GOP. How can we say none of these players can't become elite.

Dont think anyone has. maybe they have and I missed it. The chances of more than one or two making it are huge though. Can you name a club that has had more than 2 picks after pick 20 become A graders in consecutive drafts.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The big question is, do we go for young future stars in the draft and wait 5 years, or trade for some experienced (mid-20's) proven performers, who will help us rise to a good mid-level side in the immediate future (think Club revenue, sponsors etc)?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SainterK wrote:I don't expect young mids to thrive when they play in a midfield about 6 deep as opposed to the opposition who has about 10+ running through there.
You reckon our coach hasn't twigged to this yet, or just doesn't care this season?
Honestly don't know.

Either he hasn't clicked which is a worry, or it's "player management" where he wants the young mids to tire

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

True, though he had played 19 at the start of this season while Newnes had played 7 and Ross 1. That's a big difference in experience.