Presidential Problems

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Tevi

Presidential Problems

Is it only me or did any one else notice our president Greg Westaway arriving to face a barrage of media (when word got out of Saad's positive test) in a jumper hardly a professional look. The club had known about the failed test for several weeks and must have known that in this day and age of social media it was surprising it had not come out already and yet they had no media contingency plan no prepared statement. When eventually one was delivered it was of course delivered by not our President but our CEO as our Preseident has our stated he does not like speaking in public. I have followed the Saints for 55 years and I feel we are in real crisis and some of our biggest problems are not just on the field. Westaway leaves at the end of the year and the decision as to who replaces him is as important as choosing a coach. Port Adelaide revival started at the top not with the coach.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Presidential Problems

What's our financial position? Did we post a loss last season? Are we forecast to post a loss this year?

Greg T
Club Player

Good post,would like to see us get a gun high profile President.Its about time.
Many people will agree its been rather disappointing .
Maybe a new CEO could be on the cards as well?
Would Grant Thomas be ok ?

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:Would Grant Thomas be ok ?
Only if you want him back coaching :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Saying that Power revival started with Koch is so wrong you must be being funny on purpose.
Their drafting/recruiting had started to pay off, players were embracing the game plan, and they must have had a break-out preseason.
New prez didn't suddenly wave a magic wand a la Harry Potter

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Whilst I don't think Warnie has any of the skills to be president , he is one of those people in life who have the midas touch . I would be a fascinated onlooker to see what he could achieve if given a go. Just imagine !

cant see it happening though.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:Good post,would like to see us get a gun high profile President.Its about time.
Funny and factually questionable however my question is do you know what our financial position is and did we post a loss last season and what is the financial forecast for this year this year?

Tevi

I did not say that Port Adelaide's revival had started with the President I said it started at the top. The club had actually gone through and revitalised the whole club's administration prior to Koch being appointed. The Saints are selling their Best and Fairest with the slogan the Season That Was when I queried it the club said it is the one they used as last year. I said don't you think it is a bit inappropriate given we have only won three games and Saad is about to be rubbed out for up to two years. My feeling was either the club was just too lazy to come up with a new slogan or they just didn't get. Either way its a worry.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Tevi wrote:I did not say that Port Adelaide's revival had started with the President I said it started at the top. The club had actually gone through and revitalised the whole club's administration prior to Koch being appointed. The Saints are selling their Best and Fairest with the slogan the Season That Was when I queried it the club said it is the one they used as last year. I said don't you think it is a bit inappropriate given we have only won three games and Saad is about to be rubbed out for up to two years. My feeling was either the club was just too lazy to come up with a new slogan or they just didn't get. Either way its a worry.
It doesn't sound like a big enough issue to start a thread labelled presidential problems. Have you got any other issues that you know of regarding the performance of the President?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Tevi wrote:Is it only me or did any one else notice our president Greg Westaway arriving to face a barrage of media (when word got out of Saad's positive test) in a jumper hardly a professional look.
In a jumper? Serious? Obviously he should have been wearing a tuxedo with waistcoat and cummerbund, that's the appropriate outfit for that sort of news.

FFS, how about you concentrate on his performance rather than his clothing. Is this Woman's Day all of a sudden?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Tevi wrote:I did not say that Port Adelaide's revival had started with the President I said it started at the top. The club had actually gone through and revitalised the whole club's administration prior to Koch being appointed. The Saints are selling their Best and Fairest with the slogan the Season That Was when I queried it the club said it is the one they used as last year. I said don't you think it is a bit inappropriate given we have only won three games and Saad is about to be rubbed out for up to two years. My feeling was either the club was just too lazy to come up with a new slogan or they just didn't get. Either way its a worry.
Any other big issues you'd like to tackle?

Wrong brand of toilet paper at Seaford?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
spert
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Saying that Power revival started with Koch is so wrong you must be being funny on purpose.
Their drafting/recruiting had started to pay off, players were embracing the game plan, and they must have had a break-out preseason.
New prez didn't suddenly wave a magic wand a la Harry Potter
Would Port have done as well this season with Primus as coach, and Koch hadn't come on board as Pres- I doubt it.

Kickit
Club Player

I'm reasonably impressed at the way the club has restructured the football and list management area's of recent times, and even their membership area seems better.
Does the president need to be some media figurehead ? I don't really care.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Whilst I don't think Warnie has any of the skills to be president , he is one of those people in life who have the midas touch . I would be a fascinated onlooker to see what he could achieve if given a go. Just imagine !

cant see it happening though.
Doesn't he now reside somewhere on the other side of the globe? Might make it tough. He would certainly have a voice though, unlike our current prez. Right.

kosifantutti wrote:

We don't have toilets, let alone toilet paper.

Open training means hold on or hope they ordered some portables.

Seriously though, I wish he hadn't said "I don't know anything about it at about and I'm on the way in" at 4pm the day the story broke

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

We don't have toilets, let alone toilet paper.

Open training means hold on or hope they ordered some portables.

Seriously though, I wish he hadn't said "I don't know anything about it at about and I'm on the way in" at 4pm the day the story broke
He could be smarter than we give him credit for, he more than likely knew everything about the Saad story. From my experience, some people that don't say much can be very, very shrewd.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
He could be smarter than we give him credit for, he more than likely knew everything about the Saad story. From my experience, some people that don't say much can be very, very shrewd.

The guy is a successful busineess man and has built his own business so I'm sure he has smarts to get to where he is but being a President isn't a back office role as you know. He needs to get out and about and sell the message (which is? I have no idea)...promote the club in the media, make representation to the AFL on the club's behalf and even mix with the hoi polloi...he's fighting other presidents for air time and media space and he's failed big time.

He doesn't have to be the best and the biggest loud mouth but he should get out of the back office and say something...RIGHT!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Based on various threads running at the moment one can only conclude that we are a hopeless club based in the back blocks of Melbourne; that we are full of talentless youth; lead by a sooky, arrogant, despotic captain; coached by an incompetent midget; run by an overpaid knobhead and presided over by a bloke who can’t afford a suit.

Well I’m pumped!

GO SAINTS!!! :D

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

The guy is a successful busineess man and has built his own business so I'm sure he has smarts to get to where he is but being a President isn't a back office role as you know. He needs to get out and about and sell the message (which is? I have no idea)...promote the club in the media, make representation to the AFL on the club's behalf and even mix with the hoi polloi...he's fighting other presidents for air time and media space and he's failed big time.

He doesn't have to be the best and the biggest loud mouth but he should get out of the back office and say something...RIGHT!
I'm not sure why people think a high profile equates to high performance and if I think about it I don't know 'who' most of the other clubs presidents are, but I will give it a crack...

Pies, everyone knows that one
North, everyone knows that one
Port, Koshi
Eagles, nup
Freo, nadda
Adelaide, no idea
Brisbane, nothing
GCS, he's on SEN every now and then but couldn't tell you his name
Sydney, don't know his name but he must be a gun.
GWS, nadda
Bulldogs (is that Morgan Lawyer Fella)
Melbourne (should know that based on how much their upper management issues are being pulled apart in the media)
Bombers (should know that based on how much their upper management issues are being questioned at the moment but couldn't give a stuff)
Richmond (Gale? think he is CEO though)
Cats used to be Costa, is it Cook?
Carlton, is it Kernahan, pretty sure it's someone else
Hawks well I know it's not Kennet but couldn't tell you who it is these days.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:Good post,would like to see us get a gun high profile President.Its about time.

i'd have thomas in a heart beat.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Based on various threads running at the moment one can only conclude that we are a hopeless club based in the back blocks of Melbourne; that we are full of talentless youth; lead by a sooky, arrogant, despotic captain; coached by an incompetent midget; run by an overpaid knobhead and presided over by a bloke who can’t afford a suit.

well...now that you have mentioned it.......... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Who is our President? Oh, now I remember. Right!!!!!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Kickit
Club Player

Is there a tendency to look at Collingwood and thinking "gee Collingwood are big and successful , shouldn't we try to be like them "?
So they have a high profile President, therefore we need a high profile President.
They have pizza nights on a Tuesday so we should have pizza nights on a Tuesday. etc etc.

In reality unless there is tangible evidence that it helps?

Normally the questions asked of the club relate to footy ( in a good year anyway ). So the coach or the players get to respond.
Then there may be other issues asked of the club, regarding special events, player scandals , and so forth.
Surely the List Manager or CEO is the person to respond to this.
What exactly do we want to hear from the CEO? Do we really want to know why he's decided to use Ernst and Young to conduct the annual financial audit?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Cairnsman wrote:
I'm not sure why people think a high profile equates to high performance and if I think about it I don't know 'who' most of the other clubs presidents are, but I will give it a crack...

Pies, everyone knows that one
North, everyone knows that one
Port, Koshi
Eagles, nup
Freo, nadda
Adelaide, no idea
Brisbane, nothing
GCS, he's on SEN every now and then but couldn't tell you his name
Sydney, don't know his name but he must be a gun.
GWS, nadda
Bulldogs (is that Morgan Lawyer Fella)
Melbourne (should know that based on how much their upper management issues are being pulled apart in the media)
Bombers (should know that based on how much their upper management issues are being questioned at the moment but couldn't give a stuff)
Richmond (Gale? think he is CEO though)
Cats used to be Costa, is it Cook?
Carlton, is it Kernahan, pretty sure it's someone else
Hawks well I know it's not Kennet but couldn't tell you who it is these days.
you are looking at it the wrong way
Clubs who dont need high profile presidents:
Collingwood
Essendon
Geelong
Carlton
Geelong
Hawks (for the at least the next 3 years if they keep buddy)
Sydney
Brisbane (its a one horse town)
WestCoast
Adelaide
Port
GCS (for at least the next 5 years - then it will be promote the hell out of the club)
GWS (for at least the next 5 years - then it will be promote the hell out of the club)

Richmond - boarderline club of the above list purely because of membership numbers

clubs that NEED high a profile:
North
Bulldogs
Melbourne
Saints
Port (growing but still poor cousins to crows)

Seeya