dom sheed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

dom sheed

hey guys haven't been on for a while just thinking the other day about who we might go for with our first pick im praying for james aish but I don't think he will get to 3 too good I think to slip past 2. so I was thinking the best fit player at 3 may not be the best fit because I think Dom Sheed is a perfect fit he has a mature body already player seniors footy kicks goals get clearances and is just a freak. but I have a feeling everyone thinks he will go between 5-10.

would you guys pay overs for Sheed? I would. also thought a great second rounder for us if we don't trade it would salem or freeman really strengthen up that midfield and draft tall defenders with 3 or 4th round. what are your thoughts?

I think we might trade our second for a tall defender but don't know who unless the steal chip which I don't think will happen

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
Kickit
Club Player

Re: dom sheed

I thought about that as well. With Lenny on the way out, we really need that ball winning midfielder. ( though Maybe Curran can make it ).
Boyd - we are probably OK ( like barely acceptable ) for tall forwards but it sounds like he would be too good to refuse.
Scharenberg - a utility. No doubt an excellent player. But he's really the opposite of the needs we would have , especially since he would probably be well suited to starting out in the backline where he would compete with : Dempster, Gilbert, Gwilt, Simpkin, Roberton, Wright.
Aish : Sounds very good.

After that I think I'd prefer Sheed to Kelly or the others. Just a gut feel on the sort of players we need.

Not sure if there is much in the way of tall defenders after Gardiner.

Most people are tipping Boyd first, which would suck for us, since there is a good chance Aish would go to Melbourne second. Leaving us with the choice of redundant back flankers or a lesser pick.
Ideally GWS would consider that they are accumulating too many tall forwards and grab Scharenberg ( who would be a good fit for them IMO ), leaving us with Boyd or Aish.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I thought this thread was gonna be about Kevin dressed as Marlon Brando....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

'the steal chip'?

I agree tha Aish may well go at number 1 - GWS dont need another fwd but could do with another gun midfielder.

Both these blokes seems like decent blokes but do we want another inside mid? We really need 2 x top 10 picks

Kickit
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:'the steal chip'?

I agree tha Aish may well go at number 1 - GWS dont need another fwd but could do with another gun midfielder.

Both these blokes seems like decent blokes but do we want another inside mid? We really need 2 x top 10 picks

I guess if Curran and Ross both work out really well, we'd be OK.
There is so much contested ball all around the ground now I think all of the players need to be able to play inside a bit. Dal Santo and Montagna were ( still are ) good examples of outside players who can get in and win the ball when necessary.
Wright is another who could eventually become a clearance player.

Its hard to predict the future.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would be a target

Middo
Club Player

Dunstan from SA would be perfect if we miss on Aish ..

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Dunstan from SA would be perfect if we miss on Aish ..

Nah.

Too old.

And too dead :(

FQF
SS Life Member

If GWS do decide to pass up on Boyd because they already have Cameron, Patton (and maybe Buddy), then it is equally likely that Melbourne will also pass up on Boyd seeing as they have Mitch Clarke, Dawes, Hogan (who is apparently a freak), Fitzpatrick and to a lesser extent, Howe and Watts.

This could boil down to the unbelievably fortunate situation of Boyd slipping to pick 3. I assume everyone would agree that despite our need for midfielders, we would pick him up in a heartbeat.

southernsaint
Club Player

Dom sheed has a better all round game than dunstan from what i have seen and is more than just an inside midfielder. Very good kicking skills both sides great leadership qualities would just love to get him. Nathan freeman looks good to, It would not faze me if the club traded pick 3 and a couple of players to get multiple picks inside the top 20. Gold coast have pick 5 and 19,GWS have 1, 10 and 20.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Looking at the Tall Defenders the AFL has invited to the combine I think Giles from SA looks like a winner. 195 cm and 93 kgs so he has the size to compete, Bio states that he has agility and endurance and is quick. ood decision maker and good user of the ball. He has played mostly up forward but excelled in defense at the championships.

Id be thrilled if we drafted him

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I want an elite mid and Sheed could be that guy but I'm so sold on Scharenberg that I can't see straight. Sheed is probably a 5 to 12 in the draft type but could be the pick of the bunch. Scharenberg should be able to move into the midfield with no trouble despite being a utility/ defender in his junior footy. Think a Goddard type with Scharenberg.

noob
Club Player

gringo wrote:I want an elite mid and Sheed could be that guy but I'm so sold on Scharenberg that I can't see straight. Sheed is probably a 5 to 12 in the draft type but could be the pick of the bunch. Scharenberg should be able to move into the midfield with no trouble despite being a utility/ defender in his junior footy. Think a Goddard type with Scharenberg.
Not the soft Goddard type we've seen this year I hope?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:I want an elite mid and Sheed could be that guy but I'm so sold on Scharenberg that I can't see straight. Sheed is probably a 5 to 12 in the draft type but could be the pick of the bunch. Scharenberg should be able to move into the midfield with no trouble despite being a utility/ defender in his junior footy. Think a Goddard type with Scharenberg.
Spot on gringo. The top 3 seem very clear cut this year.

If Boyd and Aish are gone by 3, Scharenburg is a tall defender who can go into the mid field - very much like Goddard at his best. He could plug a gap in either of the 2 areas where we have glaring weaknesses. Has played senior footy in the SANFL against the big bodies, so in my mind he would be almost ready to slot straight in. He was SA's best player in the U18 carnival and lets not forget they did win it this year.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Scharenburg is a tall defender who can go into the mid field - very much like Goddard at his best. He could plug a gap in either of the 2 areas where we have glaring weaknesses.
Isn't he only 190cm? We have a surfeit of medium defenders at that sort of size. If he was 196cm then I'd be a lot more excited.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Zed wrote:Scharenburg is a tall defender who can go into the mid field - very much like Goddard at his best. He could plug a gap in either of the 2 areas where we have glaring weaknesses.
Isn't he only 190cm? We have a surfeit of medium defenders at that sort of size. If he was 196cm then I'd be a lot more excited.

Yeah he's tall but not any kind of KPP he's more a Goddard type as he could genuinely play anywhere well. He would probably suit the Goddard roll of setting up play off a half back spot but can run and link and is just a very poised and balanced player. Could go through the middle and dominate as a bigger bodied type like Jobe Watson.

Most senior players will be at retirement age when we get the best out of the guys we recruit next draft. We should be thinking what we will need in 4 years because it usually takes that long to develop a player.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Most senior players will be at retirement age when we get the best out of the guys we recruit next draft. We should be thinking what we will need in 4 years because it usually takes that long to develop a player.
True dat. From that point of view, in four years we'll need good players. You can't possibly build team balance four years in advance so we should try to get the best possible players and worry about filling gaps later.