Gold Coast wanting half backs?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spot on
Club Player

Gold Coast wanting half backs?

Just reading guy McKenna wanting veteran half backs, think we have a few that could get draft picks in exchange for, maybe fisher, gwilt, Gilbert or dempster??

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gold Coast wanting half backs?

Ray too…

spot on
Club Player

I spose dal could play that role too

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'd do anything for a dollar right now.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert would be the most attractive to them for a variety of reasons, including age and ability.

But I wouldn't do the deal. He's a very good player, just entering his prime and you can see the difference he's made in the past few weeks.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

spot on wrote:Just reading guy McKenna wanting veteran half backs, think we have a few that could get draft picks in exchange for, maybe fisher, gwilt, Gilbert or dempster??

Could it be that Gold Coast are trying to do what GWS have been trying to do for about a month, and that is to de-stabilize as many clubs as they can? You need to ask yourself, what are they going to do with any names that they might enquire about and are asked what they might want in return ? Run off to the media saying that club A is offering up this player and Club B is offering up that player etc. Remember GWS saying that they would be prepared to trade their pick 1? Same thing, fishing for names that they can leak to the media !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

defacto
Club Player

gilbert is the perfect fit for the suns. pick 18 should get it done

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

defacto wrote:gilbert is the perfect fit for the suns. pick 18 should get it done
Really ? If they want him then i would drive a much harder bargain. Ask for their first pick - or 2 second round picks. Why try and be amenable ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Some of u amaze me. We need gilbo ATM yeh let's trade him when he's back in form while we are at trade all of em...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Surely it has been proven beyond doubt that Gilbert is one of the most important players on our list. He is 194cm tough as nails, lightening quick. He is a GUN. why give him away?
Ridiculous

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:Surely it has been proven beyond doubt that Gilbert is one of the most important players on our list. He is 194cm tough as nails, lightening quick. He is a GUN. why give him away?
Ridiculous
yep

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:Surely it has been proven beyond doubt that Gilbert is one of the most important players on our list. He is 194cm tough as nails, lightening quick. He is a GUN. why give him away?
Ridiculous
yep
We wouldnt be giving him away. We'd be doing a deal that would (hopefully) suit both parties.

The list management team would ask "is Gilbert part of our next premiership team" and if the answer is no (ie. they have a longer term plan than a 27 year old, or the limitations in his skill set dont fit the "blueprint"??) then we should look to make a deal. If we think yes, then we should show the appropriate interest to anyone that comes knocking - none.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:gilbert is the perfect fit for the suns. pick 18 should get it done
Done.
Maybe ask for a young key defender too if they have a spare one?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

i don't want to be another melbourne. The only guys that are going to be around from our successful era are guys like gilbo. Fisher, Roo, Lenny, Dal, Montagna, Dempster, Jones etc. will all be gone with in the next three years. He is one of the few still in his mid 20s so we should be looking at him as part of the longer term plan.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
spot on wrote:Just reading guy McKenna wanting veteran half backs, think we have a few that could get draft picks in exchange for, maybe fisher, gwilt, Gilbert or dempster??

Could it be that Gold Coast are trying to do what GWS have been trying to do for about a month, and that is to de-stabilize as many clubs as they can? You need to ask yourself, what are they going to do with any names that they might enquire about and are asked what they might want in return ? Run off to the media saying that club A is offering up this player and Club B is offering up that player etc. Remember GWS saying that they would be prepared to trade their pick 1? Same thing, fishing for names that they can leak to the media !!
spot on eastern....and sheedy was sprung.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Zed wrote:
Really ? If they want him then i would drive a much harder bargain. Ask for their first pick - or 2 second round picks. Why try and be amenable ?
Clayton did the same to us with Hickey.

If they want someone make them bleed...

Pick 5 for Gilbo!

(I personally want him to stay)

Griggsy
SS Life Member

pick 1 for player and pick 19 or whatever it is. Not gonna happen but worth a shot

Viking3
Club Player

Ridiculous
Because like a number of our players, he has trouble hitting the side of a barn.
Why do think Rooey gets so frustrated? The delivery into the forward, can at times, stink.
Nothing against Gilbo personally, but if the deal is right, we should consider.
Just my opinion.
Thank you Blakey, thank you Kosi and thank you Yapper. You were all appreciated greatly.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:i don't want to be another melbourne. The only guys that are going to be around from our successful era are guys like gilbo. Fisher, Roo, Lenny, Dal, Montagna, Dempster, Jones etc. will all be gone with in the next three years. He is one of the few still in his mid 20s so we should be looking at him as part of the longer term plan.
Spot on. We have just lost Milney Blake and Kosi, as well as Gramand Greedard last year. Most likely 1 left for Lenny , and maybe 3 for Roo. Dal and Joey. If we give away players like Gilbert then we could find ourselves like Melbourne, me experience and an absolute basket case. We must keep him

I love this club
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Viking3 wrote:
Ridiculous
Because like a number of our players, he has trouble hitting the side of a barn.
Why do think Rooey gets so frustrated? The delivery into the forward, can at times, stink.
Just my opinion.
Thank you Blakey, thank you Kosi and thank you Yapper. You were all appreciated greatly.
Interesting that in his 9 games this year he has averaged 18 disposals a game at 83% Effectiveness. The side of a barn must be bigger than we thought!!!
Gilbo is the prototype player for AFL footy in this era, he's quick, aggressive super-strong, tall can play almost anywhere and he's in his prime. Ridiculous to give him away for at best a 2nd round pick. (No one will give us a 1st rounder for him)

spot on
Club Player

I think losing fisher would be best, as he is the oldest and I still think he has good currency, would be sad to lose him but not really part of the future and those other boys have a few more years left

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Every single player is tradable and i reckon nearly every player at our club would be on the table. if a club lost the plot and overpaid for a player the club must take it if that player is willing to go. Doubt Gilbert will get that overpaid pick though.

spot on
Club Player

A pick under 25 I would do for Gilbert , maybe 30

Jarred
Club Player

Viking3 wrote:
Ridiculous
Just my opinion.
Have you watched any of his games since he's come back?! His kicking has been amazing! I dont know if not being able to kick for 3 months was the magic trick but something worked! :shock:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert's a keeper.now all the k.d crap is behind him I'm hoping he'll blossom into his potential.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "