Paul Roos - confirmed as new coach of Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Paul Roos - confirmed as new coach of Melbourne

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-06/r ... ns-in-2014

Seems like a nice piece of business from the Dees.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

Re: Paul Roos - confirmed as new coach of Melbourne

wish he was coming to the saints - although im not a 'non watters' fan.
Great pick up for the Dees.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Watch the priority pick fall on his lap now. Would have been part of the deal.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-06/r ... ns-in-2014

Seems like a nice piece of business from the Dees.
Not sure about nice piece of business... They are essentially insolvent and have had the AFL take over every department of the club...

Will be a disgrace if they receive a priority pick one year after being fined for "not tanking".

Maybe Roos will get an extra 10% in their salary cap too, after all the cost if living & real estate in the Melbourne CBD is much higher than say Seaford or Footscray... You know it makes sense.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It's been decided. Melbourne will win a premiership once Gold Coast and GWS are out of the way.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

dals_da_bomb wrote:wish he was coming to the saints - although im not a 'non watters' fan.
Great pick up for the Dees.
I wouldn't be too jealous. High profile premiership coaches with big dollar contracts at rebuilding clubs don't always work. Just ask Rod Butters.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: I wouldn't be too jealous. High profile premiership coaches with big dollar contracts at rebuilding clubs don't always work..
“I think you're being very disrespectful to Roosey”

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Beno88 wrote: I wouldn't be too jealous. High profile premiership coaches with big dollar contracts at rebuilding clubs don't always work..
“I think you're being very disrespectful to Roosey”
I've missed this one doc!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

At least we won't have to put up with his commentary any more.

2 years dragged from retirement. Sound familiar? All about $$$$$ just like Malcolm

Fazer
Club Player

I'm guessing Frawley won't be going anywhere

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Did the appointment of Blight hurt us. Not in a million years. This cant hurt the demons either.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:Watch the priority pick fall on his lap now. Would have been part of the deal.
Yes interesting to watch. If you draw a line through Port Adelaide they were equally as much of a basket case as Melbourne, and at the end of last year could also have deserved a PP. As we all know they appointed a new coach in Hinkley, new President and cleaned up their act off field and hey presto - back in the finals. One could argue that Melbourne has the same opportunity to turn it around next year and doesn't deserve the extra pick.

Having said that, I reckon you are right Curly. If I were Roosy, I would have spoken to Demetriou and told him that it would certainly help sway the decision to coach and we all know how Demetriou loves to cut a deal. Given our Mad Monday episode and the Doc Reid affair, AD would bend over backward to try and get a good news story out.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I could go either way. melbourne are a lot further into a rebuild than Port were but starting further back. they could get a coach who from a business perspective is blue chip but paying a fortune to lure retirees has a risk. They should at least be more competitive and after looking over melbourne's list they are a much better structured side than us. We should ask for compo picks because they have quality in most areas bar the midfield, which they have anyway but just most too inexperienced.

It will be an embarrassment if they get compo picks- which you would think they have got one because Roos is already offering pick 2 up for experienced mids. What happened to all compo picks being at the end of the first round.

Megsie
Club Player

In 2 years Melbourne will still be a basket case.
Roos will pass the baton & fly with his pockets
Lined with gold.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I could go either way. melbourne are a lot further into a rebuild than Port were but starting further back. they could get a coach who from a business perspective is blue chip but paying a fortune to lure retirees has a risk. They should at least be more competitive and after looking over melbourne's list they are a much better structured side than us. We should ask for compo picks because they have quality in most areas bar the midfield, which they have anyway but just most too inexperienced.

It will be an embarrassment if they get compo picks- which you would think they have got one because Roos is already offering pick 2 up for experienced mids. What happened to all compo picks being at the end of the first round.

As i told you before there was no such rule with how priorty picks are given out now. it is up to the AFL when they get one. Im 50/50 as to when it is. hopefully at the end of the first round.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Megsie wrote:In 2 years Melbourne will still be a basket case.
Roos will pass the baton & fly with his pockets
Lined with gold.

Why do you say that? What Jackson has done in 6 months has been amazing. they will improve because they do have good young players but need mids just like we do.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I never rated Roos as a coach.

I felt the biggest factor in them playing in 2 GFs was their injury rate. Simply, they were able to field a full team for 2 years when no one else could get close.

I also wonder how much credit had to go to his assistants.

Anyway, regardless of how he actually goes on-field - it should be enough to get people excited and throwing money at the Dees, and maybe even lure some disgruntled Essendon players over there.

Seriously, why people worry about the club not making money because players burn dwarfs is beyond me. Not making money is no issue at all. The AFL realise that by focusing on 'the big clubs' and setting things up in their favour, they bring in more than enough dough to sort out the battlers when they struggle due to being neglected.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

s*** the rugby coach is back. Demon players to be taught the rolling mawl, how to get 18 players around every ball up, tunnelling, chopping arms (while not looking like you're chopping arms) and learning to kick a maximum of 60 points a game (Melbourne shouldn't have a problem with that one).

And I thought Melbourne were unwatchable now. :x

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Did the appointment of Blight hurt us. Not in a million years. .....
In 2001 were they not 3/12 after 15 Rounds? That hurt the Saints surely. Not the least in membership.

Always rated Roos as a coach. This Melb appointment must be the $$ otherwise why move from Syd to Melb - when he could move from Syd to Bris. I would rather the Brisbane Lions list than Melb, and my some margin.

Hold your ground :shock:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Barassi, Pagan, Blight.....Saviours that were ultimately Failures

Matthews, Malthouse, Jeans..... Turned out heroes!

Could go either way..... I say

FAIL!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I never rated Roos as a coach.

I felt the biggest factor in them playing in 2 GFs was their injury rate. Simply, they were able to field a full team for 2 years when no one else could get close.

I also wonder how much credit had to go to his assistants.

Anyway, regardless of how he actually goes on-field - it should be enough to get people excited and throwing money at the Dees, and maybe even lure some disgruntled Essendon players over there.

Seriously, why people worry about the club not making money because players burn dwarfs is beyond me. Not making money is no issue at all. The AFL realise that by focusing on 'the big clubs' and setting things up in their favour, they bring in more than enough dough to sort out the battlers when they struggle due to being neglected.

I'm the same. He came up with a game plan that revolutionised the game and was concocted from the way other professional sports were structuring. i think most teams do it to some degree now and so have lost the surprise element and new tactics have been built to counteract it.

They should stop getting blown away but who knows if he has a new plan he can run on. Teams like essendon and Richmond have the super quick fast break game style that basketball uses and should be more common in the future. Hawks and dockers are going to struggle against it because they lack leg speed or are unable to set the defensive structure.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Not making money is no issue at all. The AFL realise that by focusing on 'the big clubs' and setting things up in their favour, they bring in more than enough dough to sort out the battlers when they struggle due to being neglected.
Agreed. No club will ever go bust because that messes up all sorts of TV rights deals, etc. The AFL stockpiles cash so that they can help out poor clubs. We're a poor club and we always will be, so we just have to get used to our place in the pecking order.

starsign
Club Player

And Worsfold resigns frm Eagles

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Will the AFL pay our next coach.... Good for the goose.....?

Just has to be a big name...

I say we get Bomba or Lethal, perhaps offer Ross Lyon 5 M a year or Al Clarkson or The Horse when either finishes?