A terrific piece written by Winmar7

He originally posted it in the Opposition forum, but it won't get the justice it deserves there. So I have decided to repost it here.

Looks as though we have a good writer amongst us at Saintsational. A very engaging, humorous and sobering blog article.

Happy reading!

http://stublogs.wordpress.com/2013/09/2 ... upporters/

Re: A terrific piece written by Winmar7

Great read. Thanks Sainternist.

Saint 58

+1 !!!!!!!!

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]

st.byron wrote:Great read. Thanks Sainternist.
No, thank Winmar7. St.B.

If that piece is anything to go by on his writing, hopefully he'll contribute more in the future.

Sainternist wrote:
No, thank Winmar7. St.B.

If that piece is anything to go by on his writing, hopefully he'll contribute more in the future.
He's on the money as well. I worked in a school in Freo for four years. There was a lot of, "we're so long suffering". Seriously no idea.

Great read- Thanks winmar7

saint1974

Great read and well written, as I said to a Geelong supporter last week, when they lost to the Hawks, walk a mile in my shoes as a Saint supporter of 40 years, at least you've seen a flag,
One of the best reviews I have read on what it feels like to be a Saint supporter.

Sainternist wrote:
No, thank Winmar7. St.B.

He's on the money as well. I worked in a school in Freo for four years. There was a lot of, "we're so long suffering". Seriously no idea.
Yeah, all the media reports after the match yesterday of Western Australia's disappointment seemed so contrived. I guess they are measuring their success (or lack there of) against the WC Eagles. Personally, I hope the Eagles fans give them no sympathy.

Thanx, the writer summed up the life of a Saints supporter very well.

Winmar7

thanks for reading all :) there a few more saints and footy related articles on my blog too. will post some more in the future :)

Winmar7 wrote:thanks for reading all :) there a few more saints and footy related articles on my blog too. will post some more in the future :)

good

Sainternist wrote:
Yeah, all the media reports after the match yesterday of Western Australia's disappointment seemed so contrived. I guess they are measuring their success (or lack there of) against the WC Eagles. Personally, I hope the Eagles fans give them no sympathy.
W.A fans and media are really on another planet. You have to live there for a while to fully get it. I had some amazing footy conversations in the staff room of my Freo school. They're spoon fed parochial drivel day in, day out by their media and they suck it up. Like the woman whose husband works for WCE and she believes there is no real advantage in playing every second game in a stadium where 98% of the fans are their supporters.
The daily paper is 'The West Australian'. It's to the right of the Hun and less intelligent. Daily pics on the back page of perhaps Darren Glass brushing his teeth or Dean Cox mowing the lawn.
The WCE fans are much worse than the Freo mob. The Freo fans are relatively harmless for the most part. But the WCE mob. Their allegiance to WCE was formed when they were the only team in town and represented the whole of W.A.
There's a kind of uber-parochial, ignorant, chip on the shoulder, entitled smugness they have that they don't know they have.
Worse than Carlton fans.
W.A fans on the whole are the most parochial and narrow I've come across, with Wet Toast's fans being the worst.

Winmar7 wrote:thanks for reading all :) there a few more saints and footy related articles on my blog too. will post some more in the future :)
great read mate...we all share the same pain.....

Great read Winmar7

The same Buddy argument about staying for premierships was probably made with Ablett but he went to GCS for greed.

georgie girl

Great read. Sums up exactly how I was feeling on the weekend every time I heard them say, 'long and suffering Freo supporters'. Seriously, they have NO idea!!

Terrific read. Great stuff w7.
But I'm not sure the Freo fans themselves have been playing victims and sooking too badly .
Most I spoke to knew the hawks took 38 years to play in their first gf.

always_a_saint

I teach a prep class in Geelong and have spent all year trying to explain to them how lucky they are to have seen Geelong win 2 grand finals in their lifetime. They would actually say to me 'do you know the cats win the grand final every 2 years?' !!! I saw one of the kids in my class yesterday, and her mum said when Geelong lost to hawthorn her brother was crying and this child says 'my teacher and her family have waited their whole lives to see the saints win a grand final and you have seen 3 so you should think about how lucky you are' hahaha glad I have taught her something!!!

Hopefully we aren't waiting much longer - would love us to win one with my uncle as the Pres!!

will always be a saint...no matter what.

bring home that premiership boys

Another terrific piece Win7.

Just two things though:

Yours maths is rubbish. :lol: 1913, 1965, 1966, 1971, 1997, 2009, 2010, 2010 is eight grand finals, not five.
(Ok, you were working the 101 years back from 1997, but I'm taking some poetic license here. :wink: )

Secondly, you still don't post for us anywhere near enough. :idea:

And you really nailed it re the sentiments about Buddy. (Whoops, and been told, seems my maths is rubbish. :lol: )

Sainternist wrote:
W.A fans and media are really on another planet. You have to live there for a while to fully get it...
Worse than Carlton fans.
W.A fans on the whole are the most parochial and narrow I've come across, with Wet Toast's fans being the worst.
OMG. Nailed it so eloquently.
I moved here from Melbourne in 1998 for important family reasons.
Hate their attitude, and stick it up them every time they lose.
WCE "fans" are a cross between Carlscum/Essendope fans.
Perth folk believe that Australia has only 2 states- WA, and "Overeast".
Even Adelaide is "Overeast". This reinforces the parochial "us vs them" mentality
which is fed and nurtured by all forms of media.

hopefully when this site is upgraded you'll be able to do your blogs in here 8-)

A piece of perspective for both supporters (and the Freo supporters who had such a hard wait) and for the scribe who lived fir a time in Africa about salaries these young men earn and say it' not enough .

I loved his comment about "unless Buddy has a cocaine habit......," only time and a disappearing nasal cavity and bank account will tell.

Sainternist wrote:
W.A fans and media are really on another planet. You have to live there for a while to fully get it. I had some amazing footy conversations in the staff room of my Freo school. They're spoon fed parochial drivel day in, day out by their media and they suck it up. Like the woman whose husband works for WCE and she believes there is no real advantage in playing every second game in a stadium where 98% of the fans are their supporters.
The daily paper is 'The West Australian'. It's to the right of the Hun and less intelligent. Daily pics on the back page of perhaps Darren Glass brushing his teeth or Dean Cox mowing the lawn.
The WCE fans are much worse than the Freo mob. The Freo fans are relatively harmless for the most part. But the WCE mob. Their allegiance to WCE was formed when they were the only team in town and represented the whole of W.A.
There's a kind of uber-parochial, ignorant, chip on the shoulder, entitled smugness they have that they don't know they have.
Worse than Carlton fans.
That's an interesting perspective, St.B. And here I was thinking WCE fans didn't seem all that bad. Actually, it just occurred to me a mate of mine who moved over from the West, who doesn't support either of the two WA teams, thought WCE fans were absolute cocks and the Freo folk were a lot more on the level. I have spent a bit of time in South Australia and it is relatively similar with both SA clubs. Although, in recent times both the Crows and Port haven't had a hell of a lot to cheer about.

west coast fans are truly the worst cocks of all .
equal to bombers and blues fans .

Yep - was an excellent read. Nice work.

Re the poster who used the analogy re Ablett and the GCS - I'm not sure that argument is accurate. Ablett DID go for money, let's not kid ourselves. However I used the same argument as Winmar7 when saying he was greedy - until it was pointed out to me that Ablett actually was being paid a ridiculously small amount of money considering his standing in the game at the time he left. Buddy is already getting paid close to a million dollars - I know this for a FACT because I spoke with Mark Evans last year at our netball presentation night (I coached his daughter)

For the life of me, I can't understand society's obsession with more more more. If I was on 900k a year and perfectly happy and settled in Melbourne, but was offered 2mill a year to change jobs and move to Sydney, I KNOW I would laugh at it. I know Buddy's no rocket scientist, but surely he has a smart bloke handling his money so that he never has anything to worry about ever again. I agree 100% with Winmar7 - it's greed, pure and simple.