The review- to the Board - Thurs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The review- to the Board - Thurs

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6739837466
Summers: “Like most things in life when you have a problem it’s called communication.”

Watters’ contract extension has been talking point, but Summers can’t understand why.

“I found the whole thing around Scott’s extension the wrong way round, it’s been seen as an uncertainty (his future), but it’s got nothing to do with it,” he said.

“I can’t see how you can put a contract extension to somebody, whether it be one year, two years, five years, how would you put that to them until they see where you are taking the list management. How could you put that to them until they see the whole structure you’re trying to achieve at the club over that period?

“I can’t see how you can do it ... Because you’d be buying into it for your own reasons and not club reasons.”

This season, the Saints finished 16th with a 5-17 win-loss record.

Summers said it was “one of those years you had to go through to get a better consensus on where you’re heading”.

“As a club, we are very anxious and anxious people tend to act in a negative way, anxious people want to hide, get scared, they go to ground, and what I’m trying to do through this vision statement is to empower and encourage people to lift themselves out of that,’’ Summers said.

“The worst thing in life is not to have a go.”
and as revealed on the other thread.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6739834610

so this is the 'other boot to fall'

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: The review- to the Board - Thurs

Why bother with this comunication thing. The pres says they will wait till after the review and vision statement is discussed with senior staff. Hs journalist ignores this and says coach needs wins to keep job. What a wank!!!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough. No need to rush into another contract.

It's not like the benchmark is finals next year. Even without wins, if they think he is doing a good job, he'll get an extension.

Not sure what that 'control of the last six weeks' thing meant...?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Have to feel for SW a little.

My best guess is the Club and Pelchen have a strategy that involves attacking the draft hard in 2013 and 14 to stock up on young talent before a gradual build toward a GF in 2019.

This involves a low finish next year.

Scott knows 2/3 low finishes in his first gig as a coach pretty much means his entire career as a senior coach is cooked before it started.

Rough situation.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Still don't see the crisis the media are sooooooooooooooo longing for :roll: :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Have to feel for SW a little.

My best guess is the Club and Pelchen have a strategy that involves attacking the draft hard in 2013 and 14 to stock up on young talent before a gradual build toward a GF in 2019.

This involves a low finish next year.

Scott knows 2/3 low finishes in his first gig as a coach pretty much means his entire career as a senior coach is cooked before it started.

Rough situation.
What are you implying by writing "This involves a low finish next year"?
Do you reckon the Saints are engineering a low finish for more draft picks?
In other words tanking. Not possible my friend. They"ll finish where they deserve to finish which I would think would be 7 to 8 wins. 8 wins with a lot of promise will get Watters a contract extension.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

What's different to the situation at the Bulldogs and their coach? He has taken the rebuild in his stride. Are we assuming that Watters isn't?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

At least we now have a Prez with communication skills that are beyond the most basic of levels.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
starsign
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:What's different to the situation at the Bulldogs and their coach? He has taken the rebuild in his stride. Are we assuming that Watters isn't?
Yes and suggestion that Scott is under pressure for early wins is purely the spin and media beat up of one bloody journalist as the news breaks of the short delay in his contract extension, and certainly not an expressed view of the club but as mentioned a great load of wank. I'm not exactly sold on the idea that a couple of seasons at the bottom end of the ladder necessarilly spells the end of his coaching carrier either. If there is significant improvement within the group and set goals are achieved along the way (which may not automatically mean a certain number of specific wins early this year) he may well be viewed in a successful light. If this then manifests into a impressive rise up the ladder and success in finals then undoubtably his coaching prowess will be viewed with great acclaim. Surely both he and the club were under no other impression when he took on the job unless of course there was more to the argy bargy stuff about rebuilding witnessed early last season, which I very much doubt. Get off the poor buggers back and let him get on with the job like the man with the wheelbarrow I say !

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

There is more to where you finish when discussing a contract extention. That is so simple but completely wrong. It makes complete sense to wait to extend SW contract. The club would have plenty of things to look at before deciding if SW deserves and extension and where they finish will be one small part of it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'm looking at it this way, if we don't expect more than 3-4 wins in 2014 then everything else will be a bonus. I'm also predicting that we win more quarters than we lose in 2014 and mostly the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. To me this will be a good sign as it means we are holding our ground although depending on if we lose Dal and Chips and don't recruit Joly may have an impact on that prediction.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The heat we are getting from the media will probably carry over to next year.

I just hope the club is strong enough to handle it because there will be no let up.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Basically 2014 needs to be a better result than 2013 for the club on and off the field, and all the plans for rebuilding the team etc. is one thing, but the competition won't wait while we fiddle around the edges hoping to find the formula for success- we need to hit the gound running at Round 1 2014, and be looking for every win possible, rather than just accepting good efforts in a loss. If Watters can do his part in that area, then he deserves a contract extension.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Basically 2014 needs to be a better result than 2013 for the club on and off the field, and all the plans for rebuilding the team etc. is one thing, but the competition won't wait while we fiddle around the edges hoping to find the formula for success- we need to hit the gound running at Round 1 2014, and be looking for every win possible, rather than just accepting good efforts in a loss. If Watters can do his part in that area, then he deserves a contract extension.
See this is what I consider just unrealistic… clicking your fingers and saying "win more than last year"

We may trade out McEvoy, Fisher & Dal Santo this year… 3 players who still be in our top 10 players when fit.

Riewoldt, Dempster, Montagna you would expect are slowly down.

We have Armo, Jack, Gears, Roberton entering their prime… but after that there is a massive void in experience.

Next 2 years are going to be ugly, with plenty of beltings.

starsign
Club Player

spert wrote:Basically 2014 needs to be a better result than 2013 for the club on and off the field, and all the plans for rebuilding the team etc. is one thing, but the competition won't wait while we fiddle around the edges hoping to find the formula for success- we need to hit the gound running at Round 1 2014, and be looking for every win possible, rather than just accepting good efforts in a loss. If Watters can do his part in that area, then he deserves a contract extension.
Obviously The Pelican & Co are working to this formula for success but it's long term... but I go along with immediate off field improvement needed

mullet
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:The heat we are getting from the media will probably carry over to next year.

I just hope the club is strong enough to handle it because there will be no let up.
Well at least the new Pres is prepared to step forward and say what is going on. I am sick of the media crap as well. so much negativity towards one club.
But to blatantly invent a story about Montagna leaving, how is this allowed to happen.
The opinion of everyone in the footy world is that StKilda is a rabble and everyone wants out.
All from the negative reporting. I'm over it, dont listen to SEN have now turned off, dont buy the papers, I just come on here to see what the go is.