Defenders..... Are we overstocked

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Defenders..... Are we overstocked

With midfield deficiencies.... A key forward great at 32 with little support

We have a large number of defenders... All either established, or emerging, or developing and need game time and we are bringing 2 in??

Established
1-Fisher
2- Dempster
3- Gwilt
4- Gilbert
5- Geary

Emerging
6-Roberton
7- Newnes
11- Simpkin

Developing
8- Wright
9- Webster
10-Ferguson
14- Dunnell

New
12-Bruce
13-Delaney

What is the first choice back 7

I think 2 from the top list need to make way for incoming and we need to add another midfielder or forward to the list

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Defenders..... Are we overstocked

We currently have no genuine Key defenders… too many medium ones…

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Possibly Newnes, Wright could develop as rotating mids.

Geary could develop as a stopper, or as he develops further as an in and under.

Dempster, Fisher and possibly Gwilt are coming to an end (Fisher may even be gone this trade period).

Dont know if Simpkin and Dunnell will make it.

There may be a bit of scope through natural attrition and player development.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Reckon we are overstocked with medium defenders
Could be a bit slow as well

Barring injury, I see....
1 spot for medium/3rd tall Gwilt, Dempster and Simpkin
3 spots for running backs/small defender Geary, Wright, Gilbert, Newnes, Murdoch, Roberton and maybe Dempster
1 spot for quarterback Fisher, possibly Gwilt and Roberton
2 key talls Delaney, Bruce

I would do

B Dempster Delaney Roberton
Loose Fisher
HB Wright Bruce Gilbert
Geary moves into midfield to tag
Newnes goes wing/forward to learn forward pressure....
Gwilt, Simpkin misses out

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt is in the leadership group, and highly rated

If Geary tags.... Why resign Jones?

I reckon Newnes will play wing a bit

Wher do you see Webster?

IMO
Gwilt and Dempster are slow....
Wright needs to play
Roberton a lock
Geary is a certain back 6 leader
Only one of the incoming talls will get a starting gig next year
Fisher or Gilbert are surplus

Me
Simpkin..... Delaney.... Geary

............ Roberton .............

Dempster.... Gilbert/Fisher..... Wright

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:With midfield deficiencies.... A key forward great at 32 with little support

We have a large number of defenders... All either established, or emerging, or developing and need game time and we are bringing 2 in??

Established
1-Fisher
2- Dempster
3- Gwilt
4- Gilbert
5- Geary

Emerging
6-Roberton
7- Newnes
11- Simpkin

Developing
8- Wright
9- Webster
10-Ferguson
14- Dunnell

New
12-Bruce
13-Delaney

What is the first choice back 7

I think 2 from the top list need to make way for incoming and we need to add another midfielder or forward to the list
I'd lose Dunnell - he's a few years in and still has the body of a teenager - not strong enough. He's workman like, without anything differentiating. I think Newnes will push up into the midfield. Wright needs another year predominantly back - his confidence got knocked around a bit with the jaw and the back, so I reckon having the game in front of him will help. Will get time in the middle as his career progresses (and he'll go OK, too).

If Fisher stays, I'd seriously consider Dempster to spend a lot more time in the middle. Strong body, elite athlete and a great 1 of 1 type. Can cover the ground and kicks with depth, too. I'd prefer him up the ground to Gilbert, who I think was terrific in his limited games this year. But, I think he needs the game in front of him and to play where his intercept marking, speed coming out and 3rd man up capability can be best used.

If I accept your premise of needing to lose 2 defenders, apart from Dunnell I reckon Ferguson or Simpkin might be in a bit of bother. Both seem a bit injury prone and don't have size on their side. The rookie list might come into play, but I'm not sure how.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Agree on Gwilt regarding leadership, but neither of us have him playing.... I think the knee injuries have hurt him, maybe he needs more time, but he is back up for mine.

I wouldn't have re-signed Jones, but I think Geary needs to step up to midfield to see if he can make the jump...

I like Webster a lot, and see him taking Dempster's spot when the change happens, hopefully he gets 8 - 10 games next year, maybe with half of those further up the ground to improve his ball getting ability and experience....

personally I think one or two of Dempster, Gwilt or Fisher will play most weeks because of injury, leaving Webster, Murdoch, Wright and Delaney/Bruce with opportunities to cement a spot.

Roberton, Newnes, Geary and Gilbert are certainties in the side as you say.

I think both talls will play most weeks, I rate Delaney, I know others don't, will be interesting to see....

#gosaintas
Club Player

Dunnell just has to be flicked and probably Ferg too

Kernal75
Club Player

All last season people were screaming out for KPD now apparently we're overstocked. I think that both Bruce & Delaney (assuming we land Bruce) get the first opportunity to cement a spot as we specifically targeted these players so would make sense that they have first crack. I think both will play pivotal roles.

My back 6 looks like this ;

Geary Delaney Dempster

Fisher Bruce Roberton

I think that competition accross the whole ground will start to increase with the kids rotating in and out of the side as the season progresses.

Good times ahead!

Legendary
Club Player

How many of that list can genuinely stand and compete with Cloke or Hawkins though? That's been the problem. Way too many medium/mid-sized defenders.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Agree on Gwilt regarding leadership, but neither of us have him playing.... I think the knee injuries have hurt him, maybe he needs more time, but he is back up for mine.

I wouldn't have re-signed Jones, but I think Geary needs to step up to midfield to see if he can make the jump...

I like Webster a lot, and see him taking Dempster's spot when the change happens, hopefully he gets 8 - 10 games next year, maybe with half of those further up the ground to improve his ball getting ability and experience....

personally I think one or two of Dempster, Gwilt or Fisher will play most weeks because of injury, leaving Webster, Murdoch, Wright and Delaney/Bruce with opportunities to cement a spot.

I think both talls will play most weeks, I rate Delaney, I know others don't, will be interesting to see....
I reckon Jimmy's thigh injury early this year put him behind the 8 ball for the rest of the year (he missed about 6, didn't he?). Cos of the injuries to Fisher and Gilbert, and the lack of key defenders, as long as Jimmy could stay perpendicular for 2 hours he played KP. I reckon he played a fair bit of this year under physical duress.

Give him a decent pre-season, full fitness, with some bigger bodies to fill the key spots, and I reckon Jimmy still has a role to play.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
maverick
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
maverick wrote:Agree on Gwilt regarding leadership, but neither of us have him playing.... I think the knee injuries have hurt him, maybe he needs more time, but he is back up for mine.

I reckon Jimmy's thigh injury early this year put him behind the 8 ball for the rest of the year (he missed about 6, didn't he?). Cos of the injuries to Fisher and Gilbert, and the lack of key defenders, as long as Jimmy could stay perpendicular for 2 hours he played KP. I reckon he played a fair bit of this year under physical duress.

Give him a decent pre-season, full fitness, with some bigger bodies to fill the key spots, and I reckon Jimmy still has a role to play.
Yeah maybe, probably agree, but who does he tip out?
He certainly can kick long, which is a major weakness in our back line.
Dempster and Geary are patchy...Fisher makes poor decisions on occasions, Roberton is pretty reliable, Gilbert hap hazard and Newnes, Wright unproven.....no elite skills in there unfortunately... probably a major weakness.....

starsign
Club Player

Still a good chance Fisher won't be with us

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Dunno who he tips out, Maverick. Just nice to be thinking about choice and competition for spots, instead of identifying the poor, least injured bugger, who gets thrown to the wolves because of circumstance.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Of the established Fisher and Dempster are waning and 2014 could be their last or second last.

We are in need of at least 2 tall defenders that can play on the monster forwards, enter the Delaney and Bruce experiment.

The personnel needed to settle the back line may only be a litter clearer at the end of 2014 but I think the question should be are we stocked correctly as opposed to are we overstocked because clearly we are 'not'.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy webster is also highly rated and the same height as gwilt.
Gwilt normally plays on a big player.
Id say gwilty is in big strife.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We are overstocked on medium defenders..of starting 22 ability..... No doubt in my mind...

And under stocked in midfield in starting 22 ability....

We are also under stocked in Key fwds also, unless Stanley, Maister and Lee are considered AFL level key fwds

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Adding Bruce and Delaney gives us a lot of flexibility and more importantly true key position defenders.

We can move Gilbert to the wing or half forward and use Fisher and Gwilt as 3rd and 4th tall options the way they should be. Nice to have some cover and options. Competition for spots in preseason should be hot

B: Wright/Geary Delaney Gwilt/Dempster
HB: Fisher/Newnes Bruce Roberton/Simpkin

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We are overstocked on medium defenders..of starting 22 ability..... No doubt in my mind...

And under stocked in midfield in starting 22 ability....

We are also under stocked in Key fwds also, unless Stanley, Maister and Lee are considered AFL level key fwds
Your mind is usually a fairly narrow space but I reckon you are probably right about having an embarrassment of riches of medium defenders. I'm sure the club has a plan for them all.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure it does... Somewhere in the 40 page strategic plan....

You put your faith where you need to.... Ill use my narrow mind to judge the list

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oh, and...

Embarrassment of riches is an interesting description? Not sure many commentators would use that to describe any section of our list ATM

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

BigMart wrote:With midfield deficiencies.... A key forward great at 32 with little support

Established
1-Fisher
2- Dempster
3- Gwilt
4- Gilbert
5- Geary
All of those 'Established' players are established AFL players, but none are lock-down key defenders.

Gwilt played his best footy ('10/'11) playing on the oppositions 2nd or 3rd big forward.

Fisher plays his best footy as a loose man, going third-up in marking contests; his strength is rebounding rather than lock-down defense. Same with Dempster - his strength is marking and rebounding.

Yes, we have a bucket load of medium-sized defenders but none of them are good enough/big enough to play on a Cloke/Kennedy/Cameron/Roughead.

I'm not saying Delaney is the solution we needed. But at least he's big.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Oh, and...

Embarrassment of riches is an interesting description? Not sure many commentators would use that to describe any section of our list ATM
What about the GOP category?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I absolutely believe we need one if not two key defenders (Fisher is a CHB but ageing) going forward

Point is not about recruiting two KPP

it's about a overstocking of other defensive positions?

We have a surplus in that area of the ground.... We should use 1 to get another midfielder?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

geary in the guts
hard as a cats head