Billy Hartung article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Billy Hartung article

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billy Hartung article

He one that I want..... Gut runner

Nothing like Dangerfield.... A lot like Harvey, Crawford, Cousins....

Beekay
SS Life Member

Not saying he looks the best, but definitely enjoyed his highlights the most.

Love his approach.

I wish we had more than just pick 3 in the top 20..... oh that's right!

If we could select 3 players with those picks, that our recruiters rated in the top 10-12, we'd be on our merry way.

Hopefully Hartung is good enough to be in our calculations. Steven, Wright & Hartung bollocking & dashing across the field...

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting they say he plays like Dangerfield. Reading his bio he strike me more as a Joey Montagna type- not that I have seen him play.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He would be a good get at 18 or so. He needs some Danking up but he is talented.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

so do ppl have him pegged for #3?

I believe BM does. Is that where ppl think he should go?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:so do ppl have him pegged for #3?

I believe BM does. Is that where ppl think he should go?

No freakin way. Good if he slides but it would be like when Richmond called Jarrad Oakley Nichols as their first round pick when most had him in the 20s. Freeman will be good too but neither is top 3.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Read below a fairly forthright profile taken from Footy Tragic - obviously only one person's opinion

#37 – BILLY HARTUNG
Height: 178cm, Weight: 67kg, DOB: 24/1/1995
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays

Hartung’s another highly rated player I just struggle to see it with.

He turned heads breaking the beep test record at the Combine set by Bradley Hill with a 16.6 effort. It was definitely an outstanding result and something that will help him get drafted and give him a chance to become an AFL player long term.

Hartung’s greatest asset obviously is his ability to run all day and break the lines with speed and endurance.

He backs himself to run through and around anyone and I think what was his greatest asset in the U/18’s might be his greatest downfall in the AFL. Hartung does not care, he’ll just take you on, which is great and shows confidence, but at what cost? He very much puts the blinkers on and again if you want to compare him to Brent Harvey, it just won’t cut it. Hartung’s finishing skills are nowhere near Harvey’s and nor is his game sense or ability to bring teammates into the game. He plays the game likes it’s all about Billy and that will only be successful in the lower grades, especially when you’re standing at 178cm and 67kg.

Hartung didn’t set the world on fire at the Champs playing off a wing which is the only position I can see him becoming successful in. Against the better opponents he struggled and I was shocked to see him in the All-Australian side.

In terms of where he’ll play in the AFL, his lack of versatility will hurt him. He’s not a natural forward and with his straight line play he’d prefer to be running towards the goals. His skills would be a liability in the backline and I just would not be able to trust that he’d contain himself and not try and bust through a tackle from Jack Darling or do these handballs to himself along the defensive boundary with 30 seconds to go. I have trust issues with Hartung.

He’s a wingman, and that’s about it for me, a very short one with skills that I just struggle attributing to a wingman. He does not have the inside capabilities that a Jarryd Blair type does, so that sort of role I’ve put a line through. I have not totally ruled him out, and I think he has one of the better chances of making it out of the mosquito fleet because he does have great athletic qualities but his game needs to be tempered a touch and he needs to know his limitations.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/f ... e.1040150/

Can't say I agree or disagree as I haven't seen the guy play

and here's another from Knightmare's draft at BigFooty

#21 Port Adelaide (Via GWS) - Billy Hartung (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 176cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 24/01/1995
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style: Brent Harvey
Player comparison: Travis Colyer
Range: 10-30
Profile: Hartung is one of if not the elite runner of this draft. Has a 16+ beep and just goes all day. His real point of difference is his breakaway speed, Hartung breaks away from every contest and really takes on the game and any time he gets ball in hand looks to go and cover 30m through his run and carry knowing that that’s how he’s best going to put his stamp on the game. He’s also a very high production player who finds the ball so easily. Very willing tackler. Hartung is also a very clean user of the footy by both hand and foot but particularly damaging by foot with his penetration and ability to hit the scoreboard. At his size he likely always remains an outside player and is most likely to find a role for a team in a forward half his lack of height and size may not be get as exposed.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/k ... ft.983436/

and one more form YTT's at BigFooty

24. Hawthorn - Billy Hartung (176cm, 71kg midfielder - Dandenong)

The other sub-180cm midfielder in the draft, Billy Hartung isn't getting quite as much attention as Taylor - and that may prove to be an oversight. Maybe that will change after his record setting Draft Combine. He was always the odds on favourite to win the beep test, and has shown all year that he can run out games with the very best athletes - it's not just that he tests well. His speed is very good too, which is a handy combination with his endurance. As a player, he is largely an outside receiver and that probably wont change much at the next level up. He works extremely hard, so is a big ball winner and a dangerous link up player on the outside. Hartung has also shown some good versatility - he can play up forward as a goal sneak, but has also shown he can play defensive roles. In the U18 Championships, he held Aish quite well while not sacrificing his own game either. I think of him as a little bit like Luke Dahlhaus, he is only small and maybe limited in what role he can play, but he'll work harder than anyone and will always find a way to get involved.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/y ... t.1036534/

Interesting with the weights - all profiles are different but the article in the Heraldsun has him at 75kg

Given he is seeking or willing to take advice from Elsaugh shows the kid is keen as mustard - however some reports say he has a few tickets on himself - i guess he wouldnt be the last

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

so we're hopeful to get him at 19 then?

General consensus?

evo
Club Player

" Hartung’s finishing skills are nowhere near Harvey’s and nor is his game sense or ability to bring teammates into the game. He plays the game likes it’s all about Billy and that will only be successful in the lower grades, especially when you’re standing at 178cm and 67kg. "

Sounds like Ledger- no thanks

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

BigMart wrote:He one that I want..... Gut runner

Nothing like Dangerfield.... A lot like Harvey, Crawford, Cousins....
Might be able to run like them but he has nowhere near the same football ability. His form throughout the year is all we can go on and it is OK. He has to improve significantly to become a regular AFL footballer.

Way too much hype on some of these UNDER 18 kids.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

He'd be a good pickup at 18/19. He's a running machine and ball use is good. Kicks very well on his right and left foot.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:" Hartung’s finishing skills are nowhere near Harvey’s and nor is his game sense or ability to bring teammates into the game. He plays the game likes it’s all about Billy and that will only be successful in the lower grades, especially when you’re standing at 178cm and 67kg. "

Sounds like Ledger- no thanks

He's better than Ledger in that he is aerobically very good. He takes the game on. He is dividing people though. He is a risk but could be like Milne or Brent Harvey where he takes the game on with confidence. It's not all negative with Billy just he was talked about as top 10 now his stocks have dropped a bit now about 15 to 25 you would think. His biggest down side is his size but if he has other tricks it doesn't matter.

Could be a star but no certainty.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is a terrific kick..... Plays as a running small mid collecting huge numbers...

He missed all of pre season at Dandy, and most of the first year players hadn't seen him.... First pre season hit out he had a ridiculous amount of the ball and he was considered a freak.

Has high end talent

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Would be nice to have someone running down opposition backmen. And the quicker you are off the mark, the more time you have to use your skills.
I think often gifted juniors don't make it because they don't have the time to execute at the top level.

Quick is good!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

where do you rate him in the order Mart?

In your opinion #3? Think we should snap him up at #19 or will he be gone by then?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

15-20 IMO

But would be a good get there imo

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I don't think much of Footy Tragic not the writer that wrote that.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I don't think much of Footy Tragic not the writer that wrote that.

he didn't pull any punches did he. Watch Hartungs highlights and you can see he is a player. His size is a bit small but he looks better than Kelly, Aish and Billing from his highlight reel.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Player comparisons are not usually on ability but player type?

It's hard to tell their potential ability at 18

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I don't like the photo they are using for his draft profile

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

At least he's rated.... Maybe there won't be any surprises after we draft him also?

The joke would be even better, if Cripps could actually play? He's a softcock .... Something pointed out when he was a saint

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:At least he's rated.... Maybe there won't be any surprises after we draft him also?

The joke would be even better, if Cripps could actually play? He's a softcock .... Something pointed out when he was a saint
How many live games did you see Cripps play?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why?

Possibly 6 VFL and a few AFL?

Intra club also

Not sure you could get more 'outside'

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why?

Possibly 6 VFL and a few AFL?

Intra club also

Not sure you could get more 'outside'
Think you're being harsh.

Not sure what Cripps has to do with this thread anyway.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.