Matt Scharenberg

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Matt Scharenberg

Just been thinking I found it hard to go past this guy if he is still there at 3.

I like others got spooked by the 'go home factor' during the mass exodus from the lions.

But whats not to like.
Hes 190cm. Versatile. Can play midfield. Was probably the best player at the under 18 champs. Admittedly couldnt test at the Draft Combine (can we do private tests on him ?)

And Adelaide is only 45 min by plane anyways.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matt Scharenberg

He's still the guy I would get if I was the recruiter but that's just me.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He's still the guy I would get if I was the recruiter but that's just me.
+1......and my whole family.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

With the trend towards bigger mids and after seeing him interviewed - looks like an absolute A Grader.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/m ... charenberg

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Looks like he may last till pick 6 so the Pies will get him.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i don't know much about these guys at all other than what i have read on their profiles etc. he is the one i would pick and i think for sure he will still be available. both him and aish i think would be great gets at pick 3 but the berg i really like.
billings looks class but i am just not sure he is what we need / is a hf worthy of pick 3? only if he becomes an a grade mid / hf i would have thought

#1 Ryder fan
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The safest bet to be an A grader in the draft. He's clearly the second best talent in the draft behind Boyd but because he's not a genuine midfielder clubs seem to be rating him lower in their draft order.

I very much doubt he becomes a midfielder but I reckon he becomes a real general in defence and future captain of which ever club he goes to.

He's the complete package. Little to no weaknesses. Skills are elite. His first 20 metres is super quick for a big bloke. And most importantly he has a very good footy brain, he just reads the play so well.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:The safest bet to be an A grader in the draft. He's clearly the second best talent in the draft behind Boyd but because he's not a genuine midfielder clubs seem to be rating him lower in their draft order.
Are yousure clubs are rating him lower, or just bloggers/forum posters?

I am 100% confident that the saints will be looking hard at him, as well as 3-4 others for pick 3..

I am also very confident that saints will stick to the golden rule: best available.
You dont use pick 3 on needs.

SuperDuper
Club Player

oh, and i personally recon he will go top 3.. but i have far less knowledge than st kilda recruiters!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
Old Mate wrote:The safest bet to be an A grader in the draft. He's clearly the second best talent in the draft behind Boyd but because he's not a genuine midfielder clubs seem to be rating him lower in their draft order.

I am 100% confident that the saints will be looking hard at him, as well as 3-4 others for pick 3..

I am also very confident that saints will stick to the golden rule: best available.
Everything that's being discussed in the media has us looking at Kelly, Billings and Aish, and in that order. If the last few drafts are anything to go by the top 10 or so is usually set in stone by draft day and it becomes a lot more clearer the closer it gets to the draft. I would be very surprised if we selected the Ice Berg, but I remain hopeful.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:

Everything that's being discussed in the media has us looking at Kelly, Billings and Aish, and in that order. If the last few drafts are anything to go by the top 10 or so is usually set in stone by draft day and it becomes a lot more clearer the closer it gets to the draft. I would be very surprised if we selected the Ice Berg, but I remain hopeful.
Nothing I have read seemed to be based on any actual knowledge of St kilda Intentions... People on forums/media etc were not accurate on St. Kildas picks last year.

Not accurate at all. This recruiting team seems pretty tight lipped. As they should be

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

It's near on impossible to predict later picks like the selections we had last year. As previously stated, the top 10 usually pick themselves. The higher the pick, the easier it is to predict because there's a lot less smoke and mirrors. It won't change GWS's selection strategy with their first two picks if they know who we are likely to select at pick #3.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Scharenberg would clearly be my pick at 3. Tall and big bodied - at 190/87 or 90 depending on what you read - I reckon he will transition into the midfield later on if needed.

Would be a dream double for me Richardson/Scharenberg.........

Hold your ground :shock:
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'd be pretty happy if Trout calls his name out next week !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Looks like he may last till pick 6 so the Pies will get him.
Based on...?

Once described by Mark Williams as the best schoolboy talent he had seen since Wayne Carey, the South Australian is extremely composed in his disposal and shows great temperament in heavy traffic

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con, it does look like there's around 5 or 6 players being strongly considered ahead of him, for whatever reason. Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Aish, Kolodjashjni and Bontempelli. Sharenberg could easily slide to pick 7.

falka
Club Player

looks slow, my only query as a mid.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Con, it does look like there's around 5 or 6 players being strongly considered ahead of him, for whatever reason. Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Aish, Kolodjashjni and Bontempelli. Sharenberg could easily slide to pick 7.
Based on some media yeah...

Im finding it difficult to know how anyone can look past him to be honest.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Con, it does look like there's around 5 or 6 players being strongly considered ahead of him, for whatever reason. Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Aish, Kolodjashjni and Bontempelli. Sharenberg could easily slide to pick 7.
My Top 5

Boyd

Kelly

Scharenberg

Billings

Aish

Anyone who can accurately pick #2-#5 in order is A VERY GOOD GUESS

One that I'd like to see slide to #18 is Sheed !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Plays a bit like Fyfe. Fyfe isnt rocket fast.

Herald Sun would have all the top 10 picks from Vic Metro if it was up to them.

Based on the past - Reality is only 2/3 in the top 10 will actually be from Vic Metro.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I saw him last year playing for SA and thought this guy will go number 1 in the draft then found out he was too young to get drafted. I have been keeping an eye on him all year and he has continued to play as a super solid player. His body is already adult size and where ever he goes he could play from round one. I know less than the recruiters but on gut feel he's my man. Goddard is the player he looked like at 17 and could see him being every bit as good.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Based on some media yeah...

Im finding it difficult to know how anyone can look past him to be honest.
I agree. He looks top 2. I reckon he's a chance at pick #4.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
My Top 5

Boyd

Kelly

Scharenberg

Billings

Aish

It seems to be common knowledge now that GWS will select Kelly with pick 2. And they don't have any reason to lie about their intentions holding those two picks and then their next at pick 14.

Kelly looks a little outside for my liking and Aish doesn't seem to get a lot of the ball. For those reasons I'd have them both on the lower end of the top 5. Boyd, Sharenberg, Billings, Kelly and then Aish.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Eastern wrote:
My Top 5

Boyd

Kelly

Scharenberg

Billings

Aish

It seems to be common knowledge now that GWS will select Kelly with pick 2. And they don't have any reason to lie about their intentions holding those two picks and then their next at pick 14.

Kelly looks a little outside for my liking and Aish doesn't seem to get a lot of the ball. For those reasons I'd have them both on the lower end of the top 5. Boyd, Sharenberg, Billings, Kelly and then Aish.

I reckon we are getting Billings for sure. Dont like it but I reckon there is no way we will get Sharenberg. The pies will get him.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

I reckon we are getting Billings for sure. Dont like it but I reckon there is no way we will get Sharenberg. The pies will get him.
I agree. Everything I'm reading from those in the know (Emma Quayle, Shifter and Callum Twomey) have us linked with Billings. When Bains was asked on TWR about the top few selections he flat out said Boyd and Kelly will be at GWS so they wouldn't even be on our radar (we all knew that about Boyd months ago).

I really rate Billings, he offers a point of difference in a few key areas. Elite skills, fantastic mark for his size and match-winning ability. I guess we wait and see if that translates to AFL level but I suspect it will. The other question mark is if he can become a midfielder. I think he can but I wouldn't be unhappy if he doesn't. He'd be the type of forward that regularly gets 20+ disposals and has a say in plenty of goals whether setting them up or kicking them himself. I'd be close to equally as happy with Sharenberg or Billings at #3.