Another Scott story emerges

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Another Scott story emerges

I was just talking to an employee at the club, who relayed a story to me that had me shaking my head in disbelief, while at the same time confirming that the board made the right decision. Apparently, on the morning of his sacking, just after the infamous interview on SEN, Scott showed our "new" assistant coach, Ashley Prescott, around the Linen House Centre, introducing him to staff as our newest appointment. Of course, as we know now, the only people who knew of Scott's appointment were the man himself and the unfortunate Prescott.

Soon after of course, the axe was swung and I was wondering if anyone had ever had a quicker, or more bizarre fall from grace. At 8 a.m. that day he was on the radio telling the football public that the president had endorsed him for the long term. At 9.a.m he was showing "his" latest appointment around the workplace, At 11.a.m he was gone.

I do feel for SW and in any sacking scenario, there are failures on both sides. Somewhere along the line, Scott seriously lost his way, or at least completely misread the situation he found himself in. Either way, it was for the best we let him go. I hope he can overcome this setback and get back into the industry he clearly loves. I wonder if he truly lost the plot, or if he was following some poor advice from a former coach and so-called mentor. This has all the hallmarks of Neeld, Mark II. I can't help thinking, for all the rumblings this process has caused, that we are now far better off than if we had let him continue for another year, before we came to an inevitable ending.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Another Scott story emerges

Would it be too cynical to suggest that MM was only ever interested in destabilising two other competitors. Sounds completely ridiculous I know but....it's a Monday and I can't think of anything better to write.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote: I can't help thinking, for all the rumblings this process has caused, that we are now far better off than if we had let him continue for another year, before we came to an inevitable ending.
Really, it's pretty hard to come to any other conclusion :?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SW = Silly Wanker

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well endorsements from Malthouse and remember the endorsements from Sheeds and Hirdy for Lovett so they could get a first rounder ?

Maybe we are too gullible and look up to people at successful clubs too much....
Best we do our own research. I think its laziness. Easier to rely on the word of a 'big name' than do our own background checks. And some people might see we are gullible and exploit us.

Sounds like when SW was under stress he lost the plot entirely in some warped attempt at self preservation.
He walks away with 500k for next year without having to do anything.
I have no sympathy for him at all. He let us down and then fleeced us.

markp
Saintsational Legend

These stories reminds me of someone who's down some major pieces in a game of chess and they're desperately trying to land a blow with their remaining minor pieces... or of someone with a poor hand and few chips left trying one last big all-in bluff.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I thought Scott Watters had a fair year in 2012 as his first season as coach. Almost unlucky to have not got us into the finals with a 12 and 10 record.

However, this year Scott Watters had an incredibly dismal year. The likes of Dermie can argue that until they're blue in the face, but very few Sainters - or let alone football fans in general - would take much notice.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Watters knew the club structure and authorities.
If he did as you said then he was out of control.
Some form of mental breakdown.
The club would need to replace him but without (for his sake) not revealing why.

Gee, the club did just that.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

He hired the new fitness guy (I don't think he's the main guy, but was poached from the Melbourne Storm) over the phone.

Didn't interview him, and offered him a 3 year contract over the phone without ever even meeting him!

The dude took the job, but was very surprised by how he landed it!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Would it be too cynical to suggest that MM was only ever interested in destabilising two other competitors. Sounds completely ridiculous I know but....it's a Monday and I can't think of anything better to write.
wouldn't be the first time........i remember a former dpp highly recommending a person for judicial appointment as he was a menace and he wanted to be rid of him...the silly government appointed him much to their regret and to the enormous delight of the former crown officer....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He certainly doesn't deserve the 500K payout but that's workplace conditions for you in 2013.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Would it be too cynical to suggest that MM was only ever interested in destabilising two other competitors. Sounds completely ridiculous I know but....it's a Monday and I can't think of anything better to write.
wouldn't be the first time........i remember a former dpp highly recommending a person for judicial appointment as he was a menace and he wanted to be rid of him...the silly government appointed him much to their regret and to the enormous delight of the former crown officer....
Really Stinger? I can't imagine the custodians of the justice system would indulge in such skullduggery! :D

The reality is though, that medoiocrity often rises in organisations as people are "moved on", sometimes in the guise of a promotion. I'm sure we've all worked with someone who's made us think, "how the bloody hell did they get this far?"

ace
Saintsational Legend

Did Watters think he could get rid of Pelchen as his boss by ignoring, undermining and usurping his authority.
A pretty dumb way to go.
When I first started work in Saudi Arabia, I arrived in office where the 2 I.C. of the design office had been acting boss while the boss was on leave.
2 I.C. had spent this time undermining his boss, exposing his boss’s flaws and trying to get the owner of the company to permanently replace him.

The only way to get the company to negotiate a pay rise was to put in your resignation then the company would negotiate to retain you.
It’s a Saudi thing.
But at our company they only renegotiated after the 2 year contract expired.
2 I.C. puts in his resignation after only 1 year to trigger negotiations.
Boss recommends immediate acceptance.
2 I.C. was put on the plane out of Saudi the same night.
Same outcome as Watters.

Never undermine your boss, he has the ears of those in power and can undermine you much more easily.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
stinger wrote:
Really Stinger? I can't imagine the custodians of the justice system would indulge in such skullduggery! :D

The reality is though, that medoiocrity often rises in organisations as people are "moved on", sometimes in the guise of a promotion. I'm sure we've all worked with someone who's made us think, "how the bloody hell did they get this far?"
Tell me about it. It's the story of my life..

ace
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
stinger wrote:

Is this how Julia Gillard rose to be prime minister.
People kept recommending her until someone recommended her to the GG.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:He hired the new fitness guy (I don't think he's the main guy, but was poached from the Melbourne Storm) over the phone.

Didn't interview him, and offered him a 3 year contract over the phone without ever even meeting him!

The dude took the job, but was very surprised by how he landed it!
are you talking about basil?

are you sure about that?

savatage
SS Life Member

Pretty sure he's talking about Simon Kearney.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Watters was set really clear boundaries by the board and he repeatedly ignored them.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

He's Scott no mates at the club now.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
stinger wrote:

nah...true story mate.. and you are quite correct with your other obsevations.......he was a disaster as a judicial officer too.....appeared before him a couple of times....retired now.....the dpp also went on to be a pretty poor supreme court judge himself...soft as butter.....and also retired thank god....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Time to let the Scott Watters stories go. Lets move on.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I've been out of the loop and may have missed it but has SW made any statements or media appearances since being moved on? I haven't seen anything from him and was just wondering if he's had a right of reply yet.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I've been out of the loop and may have missed it but has SW made any statements or media appearances since being moved on? I haven't seen anything from him and was just wondering if he's had a right of reply yet.

Not a peep

jaxons
Club Player

He's set to do a tell all interview in the next couple of weeks that should be interesting.
Has been bad mouthing us all over town of late and he doesn't realise he is damaging his own brand far more than ours at the moment.
Doubtful he will get a job in the industry going forward.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:He's set to do a tell all interview in the next couple of weeks that should be interesting.
Has been bad mouthing us all over town of late and he doesn't realise he is damaging his own brand far more than ours at the moment.
Doubtful he will get a job in the industry going forward.
Another sure sign he has had a monumental meltdown. That, or he has not a shred of self awareness. I've heard the same thing, Jaxons. This is really sad. For him, not us.