"Blind faith" ? ...not here folks!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

"Blind faith" ? ...not here folks!

I'm ready for 2014.

Ready to get behind my club again.

Ready to risk my heart being broken again, for the chance of glory....again.

Not with "blind faith" but with a conscious and deliberate decision on my part to do so.

No one has forced me to do this.

No one has begged me to do this.

It simply is the only thing a supporter can do for his club.

GET BEHIND IT!

GO SAINTS! (To hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
howlinwolf
Club Player

Re: "Blind faith" ? ...not here folks!

We need more of you Dave. LOTS more in fact.
Keep up the good fight.
I'm with ya :-)

The lathered up stories about our club don't worry me none. In the end if it's not fact why let it bother you ?
We have the right people coming together. Results shut up the naysayers.
We will rise again :-)

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
howlinwolf
Club Player

B.t.w Good name for a band :-)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Mr Burnett :lol: Yeah good name for a band indeedo! ....maybe we could have a McKinlay Morganfield thread? I/E "Muddy Waters" ? ...not here folks!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Witeout23
Club Player

I feel the same. I managed to go to the training session this morning (only for about 15 mins before work) but as soon as the Saints ran onto the ground all was forgiven, all the off season/ pre season crap was just that. Bring on 2014 - I can't wait. (except for not seeing Nicky Dal out there -the only bummer)

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Always there - no matter what Jigg !!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WOW! You've all made me feel very positive about the state of our club! Good on you folks! We don't have to be HAPPY about all the controversy and hassles that have surrounded us in the last couple of months, and certainly questions need to be asked, but overall the only way to get us out of this mood of negativity is to play OUR part! GO SAINTS!
(to hell with the rest!)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It's certainly not they players fault or admin is rubbish.

Always back the team on the day of the match.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:It's certainly not they players fault or admin is rubbish.

Always back the team on the day of the match.

Who is all the rubbish in the admin? Seems fair you name them unless its actually all of them.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

If there's one thing Saints supporters have, it's plenty of faith!

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
howlinwolf
Club Player

On the positive side we are starting from scratch almost. The playing group ,coaches and CEO can all grow together. They don't have baggage.
I've got a good vibe about it all. Irregardless (love that word) of what the media says.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

"Always back the team on the day of the match" ? .........IF they're winning! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: (I've sat by you mate!)

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Ironically I'm looking forward to this season for almost the opposite reasons. For the first time since probably 2002 I start the season knowing we are virtually no chance of making finals. I wont get my hopes up that we can somehow make finals- only to have them dashed at some later stage of the season. I've accepted our fate for 2014 as being a bottom 4 side.

So in 2014 I will be watching games expecting to lose but hoping to catch glimpses of improvement, and some promising signs for the future. Occasionally we will snag a win and that will be a like celebrating my birthday. Now some on here will say, we shouldn't accept defeat - but in 2014 I already have. I'm just going along for the ride in 2014 ...but this is not my natural state of mind - and in 2015 I will expect to see more a much more competitive team.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:On the positive side we are starting from scratch almost. The playing group ,coaches and CEO can all grow together. They don't have baggage.
I've got a good vibe about it all. Irregardless (love that word) of what the media says.
Seth McFarlane will come looking for you, howlinwolf. Irregardless is not a "proper" word according to him. Apparently it's use attracts the death penalty!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Zed, I think you're pretty much spot-on mate! I can remember in the immediate aftermath of the PF in 2008, feeling SOOOOOOO let down and flat, Robert Harvey retiring, having just been SMASHED by the Hawks and with little in the gameplan/personell to be excited about for 2009. When the new year came round and we entered 2009 I took the decision to discard any expectations and to "simply take myself to the footy" and see what we come up with. What eventuated was probably the best H&A performance from any St Kilda FC side in history, and although not getting to the mountain top, we played our part in one of the best Grand finals ever. If backing my team is seen as "accepting mediocrity" then ..I plead GUILTY without reservation!
GO SAINTS!
(to hell with the rest!)

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm ready for 2014.

Not with "blind faith" but with a conscious and deliberate decision on my part to do so.

GET BEHIND IT!

Almost WORTH A BEER, THAT POST :lol: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Especially IF Eastern is buying........there again I've 'discarded expectations" in that area :wink: :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

slider
Club Player

howlinwolf wrote:B.t.w Good name for a band :-)
Come down off your throne and leave your body alone.
Somebody must change.
You are the reason Ive been waiting so long.
Somebody holds the key.

But Im near the end and I just aint got the time
And Im wasted and I can't find my way home.

A Top band in their day

stinger
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm ready for 2014.

GET BEHIND IT!

i'm finally with ya jigster,,now that the dust...hopefully...has settled...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:On the positive side we are starting from scratch almost. The playing group ,coaches and CEO can all grow together. They don't have baggage.
\

from the urban dictionary...

1. irregardless
Used by people who ignorantly mean to say regardless. According to webster, it is a word, but since the prefix "ir" and the suffx "less" both mean "not or with" they cancel each other out, so what you end up with is regard. When you use this to try to say you don't care about something, you end up saying that you do. Of course everyone knows what you mean to say and only a pompous,rude asshole will correct you.
Wife: "Irregardless is not a word, dummy"
Husband: "Kiss my ass bitch! I'm still going to the strip club tonight!"

2. irregardless
A word used by uneducated people intending to sound intelligent. Often, the defendant will use this word in court in an attempt to impress the judge and jury. Educated people notice and those who use this word instantly identify themselves to educated people as being uneducated. Educated people rarely correct them because it helps educated people more easily identify them if they are well groomed.
Uh... yes your Honor.... Irregardless of the the evidence, I was not the young man in the security video.
mark as favorite buy irregardless mugs & shirts
earregardless moron idiot stupid blah blahh

3. irregardless
this is not a f****** word... Wtf
Irregardless of what u think this is not a word.

without regard no grip on the english language not a word duh no habla

4. irregardless
An unnecessary mispronunciation of the word "regardless".
Guy 1: "Irregardless of what people think"...

Guy 2: (after punching Guy 1 in the face) "Say irregardless again! Say it!"

5. irregardless
Irregardless is an illegitimate word, you shitstains! Putting the prefix Ir before the word regardless effectively makes it a double negative; thus the meaning of the word becomes: "without without regard." so instead of the intended meaning, which is without regard, it becomes just the opposite: with regard to!
Irregardless is a non-word that many a tool mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or uneducated writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.
"That stupid toolshed of a bartender is always using the non-word irregardless, thinking that he is impressing the ladies with his intelligence! Personally, I think he should just stick to the steroids and shut his pie hole."
mark as favorite buy irregardless mugs & shirts

6. irregardless
A word you should never, ever use in front of your English professor.
Student: "But irregardless of that--"
English professor: "*thwack*"

7. Irregardless
The kind of thing Dubya would say when he means to say "regardless". Its a bastardized version of the word "regardless", with an added superfluous "ir" added at the start. All you have to do is think about it logically to see that its not a grammatically correct word, just a mistake that unfortunetly became popular. You dont have to be a pompous or rude asshole to correct someone, just somebody who thinks its important that they dont compromise the English language to cater for people who cant be arsed to do their English homework.

To be honest, I dont mind people using words like this in normal speech, but I cant stand to see it in print. People like journalists and authors, I believe, have a responsibility to be at least somewhat gramatically correct.
1. If you're going to make a living from writing, then please make the effort to use real words instead of words like "Irregardless" and "alot".

Other person: "Alot of words are considered ungrammatical before they are sanctioned."

Me: "Yes, and it's a sad testiment to the quality of education in society when these mistakes are sanctioned!"

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:"Always back the team on the day of the match" ? .........IF they're winning! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: (I've sat by you mate!)
I may as well not go to game for 2 years then :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
howlinwolf
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
Seth McFarlane will come looking for you, howlinwolf. Irregardless is not a "proper" word according to him. Apparently it's use attracts the death penalty!
Hey WW and Stinger, I realize it ain't proper English. It's a double negative and reminds of the oft used ATM machine :-)
But i love it anyways. Gotta be careful using these nice bastardisations of the Queen's language else they become the norm. The Americans have made an art form of that ;-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Hey WW and Stinger, I realize it ain't proper English. It's a double negative and reminds of the oft used ATM machine :-)
But i love it anyways. Gotta be careful using these nice bastardisations of the Queen's language else they become the norm. The Americans have made an art form of that ;-)

:wink:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

SP ! 2 years? where's your "blind faith" man? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: See you next season! :lol:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey Slider! Has there been a better voice for his time than Stevie Winwood? I can still remember a party I went to back in Liverpool in early '66 and Keep on runnin' was played to death! He was only 16 at the time but WHAT a voice! MAAAAAN! that was a very good year for the Jiggster; I turned 21; finally started earning tradesman's pay; Everton won the FA cup; England won the world cup, and somewhere, another hemisphere away, another lifetime away, the club that would become my "magnificent obsession" (with apologies to Douglas Sirk) won their only (thus far)flag. The planets were aligning mate! (though I was blissfully unaware of the process) Four years later I went to a 21st birthday party and was "hit by the thunderbolt" (with apologies to Mario Puzo) it was the night I would meet the love of my life. This, in turn, would lead to our marriage, which led to emigration to New Zealand with our two kids, which then led to emigration to Melbourne, which then led to me meeting Nipper, which then led to my undying loyalty to the St Kilda football club! (phew! is that my life then? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
GOD I LOVE THIS CLUB!