Junction Oval may be vacated

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

howlinwolf
Club Player

Junction Oval may be vacated

It looks like CV might leave the Junction Oval if the present government doesn't chip in the $10 million for the upgrade that was promised by the previous govt.
Imagine we were a club flushed with money. How great would it be to rebuild this into our home base !
Unfortunately we don't have $44 mill lying around.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ ... 2yhp8.html

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
falka
Club Player

Re: Junction Oval may be vacated

If I was a billionaire saints fan, I would pay the 50 mil to put us back in the heartland. But I'm not

howlinwolf
Club Player

Maybe Lindsay Fox could throw a few lazy million in ?
I know, I'm dreamin'.
Apologies for the double thread. I didn't see the other before i posted.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
saint-stu
Club Player

If every member put in $1000 each, we would have 30mil!

1ac46a38
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:If every member put in $1000 each, we would have 30mil!

If I put in that much i think the last thing I would want is to fix up the junction oval with the money.

noddy
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

If I put in that much i think the last thing I would want is to fix up the junction oval with the money.
Not a sentimental man are you plugger.

Image In Richo we trust.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

noddy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well it hasnt been our home ground for 49 years so its hardly exciting going back there and I doubt many around that area would follow the Saints anyway.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

P66 has a point. We did move from there for a very specific reason. Whilst it's a romantic notion for St Kilda FC to be based once again at the Junction, Moorabbin still seems more viable to upgrade if we were to move back to one of the two old homes.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The junction oval would have heritage overlays on it .
So dealing with them and all the council and state bull chit would see a 2 year 10 million dollar redevelopment turn into a 5 year 50 million dollar one !

And once complete you still wouldn't be able to park anywhere !

In red white and black from 73
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
noddy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well it hasnt been our home ground for 49 years so its hardly exciting going back there and I doubt many around that area would follow the Saints anyway.
There's at least 4.

Plus a lot who work in the area.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
noddy wrote:

There's at least 4.

Im sure there is but im also sure there is better ways of using money if we had it especially as you arent allowed to watch training that much these days. I still havent read anything to suggest training in a certain area increases you support.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

There's at least 4.

Im sure there is but im also sure there is better ways of using money if we had it especially as you arent allowed to watch training that much these days. I still havent read anything to suggest training in a certain area increases you support.
So why did you bring it up?

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

As I live right across the road from the junction oval, I would love the club to base here, but it will never happen

brewski
Club Player

Well it hasnt been our home ground for 49 years so its hardly exciting going back there and I doubt many around that area would follow the Saints anyway.[/quote][/quote]

I live in St Kilda and from the people i know and meet in the area and the number of members bumper stickers, I think that the majority support in this area is Saints, i know its a dream but i too would love to see the saints back at Junction Oval and would gladly chuck in a grand.

Its very probable will never happen, so would be happy with return to Moorabbin as thats where the saints have been for all my life and it doesn't put us in the wilderness/Seaford that i think will deter good free agent players coming to us in the future when this group develop and we in flag contention

just get us out of seaford ffs

Banned by the censors
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

There's at least 4.

Bring what up? You have me confused with the person who started this.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

brewski wrote:Well it hasnt been our home ground for 49 years so its hardly exciting going back there and I doubt many around that area would follow the Saints anyway.
[/quote]

I live in St Kilda and from the people i know and meet in the area and the number of members bumper stickers, I think that the majority support in this area is Saints, i know its a dream but i too would love to see the saints back at Junction Oval and would gladly chuck in a grand.

Its very probable will never happen, so would be happy with return to Moorabbin as thats where the saints have been for all my life and it doesn't put us in the wilderness/Seaford that i think will deter good free agent players coming to us in the future when this group develop and we in flag contention

just get us out of seaford ffs[/quote]

A bit irrational there dude, the new coach has stated there are no issues with Seaford, which, by the way, is just a farkin training base.

We don't play there or at Moorabbin

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Bring what up? You have me confused with the person who started this.
I don't think you could be confused with anyone.

You claimed that not many people in the area are Saints fans. Then in your next post said it was irrelevant where they trained from a supporter's point of view. So why bring it up?

avid
Club Player

There's a reasonable amount of space at the Junction to develop a facility the size of the new one at Seaford.
The heritage overlay there would not prevent development, as long as the two old stands on the wing are preserved.
There's trams aplenty and parking across the road.

There's a sense of identity available for us there that money just can't buy -- as one of Melbourne's great core traditional metropolitan clubs (as opposed to a peripharal struggler on the fringes).

Unlikely I know, but Gee I'd love to see it happen.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:There's a reasonable amount of space at the Junction to develop a facility the size of the new one at Seaford.
The heritage overlay there would not prevent development, as long as the two old stands on the wing are preserved.

There's a sense of identity available for us there that money just can't buy -- as one of Melbourne's great core traditional metropolitan clubs (as opposed to a peripharal struggler on the fringes).

Again I ask why though. 49 years ago we trained there. No one watches training these days and still no one is able to tell me why it matters where you train as far as support is concerned. I doubt a guy who lives in St Kilda road is all of a sudden going to barrack for the saints because they train down the road. And who in there right mind would catch a tram to watch a club train? Well mayb a couple would but its again not going to get many if any more supporters to the club.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
avid wrote:There's a reasonable amount of space at the Junction to develop a facility the size of the new one at Seaford.

Again I ask why though. 49 years ago we trained there. No one watches training these days and still no one is able to tell me why it matters where you train as far as support is concerned. I doubt a guy who lives in St Kilda road is all of a sudden going to barrack for the saints because they train down the road. And who in there right mind would catch a tram to watch a club train? Well mayb a couple would but its again not going to get many if any more supporters to the club.
And we have a long term lease still on Moorabbin.

If we move back anywhere that's the plan. Why create more hurdles than we need to?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I think the reason why would be having a football club named St kilda back in St kilda a lot of history there,a great new market of young people to sell the club to ,a new generation would come on board ,would be a great business initiative but granted would cost a bit to get there and up and running!

PADDLEPOP1000
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

The first away game I saw was at the Junction Oval. George Young kicked a lazy five.
It was a great ground to watch footy.

I think it may be a useful marketing/promotional tool if the saints trained there occasionally.
"Come and see St.Kilda in St.Kilda" but by occasionally I mean maybe once or twice a year. Make it a fun day pre season with barbecues etc and try and sell memberships.

But as successive clubs have proven it's very difficult to make it a viable entity.
For those advocating a move back there, it's last tenant to play games there was Fitzroy.....

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
And who in there right mind would catch a tram to watch a club train?
I don't know what point you're trying to make? It would be OK to drive but not to catch a tram. People do it all the time you know.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think the sentimental issue is about having a home for the Saints. Moorabbin was really synonymous with the club for decades, and apart from the Junction Oval up the mid 1960s, the only solid historical base the club has had. Seaford might have good training facilities, and a good training base, but not really the home where people feel warm and fuzzy about the club. I guess Collingwood and Hawthorn have left their historic homes and done well though. The Junction Oval would be a good marketing move for the club I feel, and no doubt if used as a training facility, would get plenty of interested onlookers on training days, as there are a lot of people in the area very handy to the ground- and after all, the St Kilda FC would then be living in St Kilda..sort of makes sense, but will probably not eventuate.

avid
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
And who in there right mind would catch a tram to watch a club train?
I don't know what point you're trying to make? It would be OK to drive but not to catch a tram. People do it all the time you know.
Nobody said you couldn't drive there. There'd be plenty of parking for training days, family days etc.
There'd ALSO be public transport. Which for kids, for instance, would put it miles ahead of Seaford, to where you can only drive. (and for most of us it's a very very long drive)

As Spert (almost) said -- it's about finding a SPIRITUAL home, not just an anonymous patch of turf next to a far away freeway off ramp.
Moorabbin, I agree, did manage to become a real spiritual home. I can't see Seaford ever doing that.

The Junction would obviously do that.
I'd put a $1000 in, if it had a chance of happening.