Who can rebrand themselves?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Who can rebrand themselves?

Given that we are seen to have a dirth of medium sized back men and not enough midfield/ forwards - who are the guys who can adapt to better themselves and the team?

Can Gwilt go to half forward ? Can Simpkin play wing? Everyone pretty well has Roberton etched in at half back - can he move to the wing and make room for someone like Simpkin to come back into the 22 on the half back ??

Clearly we are all wanting to see something else from Stanley and Sipposs this year- can they step up ?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who can rebrand themselves?

saint6709 wrote: Clearly we are all wanting to see something else from Stanley and Sipposs this year- can they step up ?
Maybe...it's mainly within their control

...maybe some luck on the injury front would help, but luck comes to those that work hard.

They both need to be regimented and disciplined in their approach. Focus their minds on the job and be absolutely 100% committed.

That means sacrifices need to be made and fitness and preparation is the key (that includes recovery/nutrition/weights ect..). If they can increase their fitness and running capacity and become durable enough to string games together they will become regulars.

A lot of B grade footballers have carved out long careers because of their hard work and commitment, not just their talent alone...some of them have gone on to become A graders :)

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Can see Geary in another possy,!

PADDLEPOP1000
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Josh Bruce as a forward I think will happen.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Dempster had a great finish to 2008 before his injury as a tagger. Therefore he's an option as a midfield tagger. Just a thought..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:Dempster had a great finish to 2008 before his injury as a tagger. Therefore he's an option as a midfield tagger. Just a thought..
I have a feeling Seany D has lost a half yard of pace and might find the going tough this year. Just my opinion.

I think Bruce can go fwd - could be a swingman.
Webster can play on a wing.
Nate Wright can play on a wing or as an outside mid.
Geary I think could play as a run-with mid tagger.
Fisher and Gibo can be used to pinch hit as fwds for short periods as a shock tactic.

loris
Saintsational Legend

On 20 May 2013, I commenced a thread titled......... 'Roberton'???

Sorry I don't know how to retrieve old posts and place them into new threads, to verify this.

Then, in May 2013, I posed the question........ Could Roberton be a mid-fielder?

My reasons for thinking he had the relevant skills:

Roberton is very good below his knees, he is a one grab pick up of the ball below his knees. He baulks well and most importantly.... he reads the play well. He is deceptively quick when he accelerates over 15 metres and also appears to have good endurance. To me in these early stages he appears to be Dal like........., inthat he can win his own ball in congested situations, IMHO he has the awareness where he appears to have time to compose and think his way through situations a la Dal. And he handballs accurately out of situations when he is under pressure (something Goddard could NOT do.)

I still stand by my thoughts and opinions that I expressed in May 2013.

In 2014 I will not be surprised to see him play more, on the wing, with occasional runs in the middle throughout games.

Possibly he will need to build up more strength to absorb some of the heavy haulage. I can see Roberton becoming a Kennedy (Swans).

As I said in May 2013........... Thoughts??????????????????

Maybe I can re visit this thread in 2016 and realize I have egg all over my face :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I agree totally Loris. Like Gilbert, Roberton could play as a midfielder, but doesn't yet have the frame to a big insider like Kennedy. Gilbert does.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saint6709
Club Player

So if we have Gilbert and Roberton on the wings with an occasional run through the middle and geary as run with midfielder, that still leaves Bruce, Delany, Fisher, Gwilt, Dempster ,Simpkin as a back 6 with Webster and Wright keeping the back 6 honest. Does this start to make the midfield look a bit better ??

kimberly saint
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:So if we have Gilbert and Roberton on the wings with an occasional run through the middle and geary as run with midfielder, that still leaves Bruce, Delany, Fisher, Gwilt, Dempster ,Simpkin as a back 6 with Webster and Wright keeping the back 6 honest. Does this start to make the midfield look a bit better ??
that back six looks a bit big and slow, wright and webster can hopefully hold there own down back to ad a bit

footynut
Club Player

It would be fantastic Loris if Gilbert and Roberton could have stints in the midfield. I have thought for a while that Gilbert looks impressive when he gets opportunities.
I also agree with Kimberly saint that back six does loo a bit slow. Saddly I think Gwilts days in the backline are numbered (hope I'm wrong) and I think Simpkins, Webster, Wright and Geary could be fighting it out for the final 2 spots if Gilbert and Roberton are used in the engine room.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Geary could rebrand himself as a mid. He has shown a bit in patches in the past.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Geary could rebrand himself as a mid. He has shown a bit in patches in the past.
foot skills would be a concern though..................weakness for somtime

but has a crack

saint4life
gringo
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Geary could rebrand himself as a mid. He has shown a bit in patches in the past.
foot skills would be a concern though..................weakness for somtime

but has a crack

Geary isn't as bad as some say and he has got some more composure these days. Early on he tended to panic and kick under pressure. Jones and Geary both improved substantially last season with their kicking. Geary is capable of becoming a very good player and has shown some a grade patches but like Armo just needs to do it a little more consistently to become elite.

PJ
SS Life Member

Wouldn't mind seeing Jimmy G reworked in another position. Perhaps forward. Think with a few new blokes planned for the backline spots are going to come under pressure.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Stanley to become Dustin Fletcher

Siposs to play the Goddard (who?) role

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Stanley to become Dustin Fletcher

Siposs to play the Goddard (who?) role

2 baiting posts. No other reason for you to say that as you have previously laughed at people saying such things. By the way im pretty sure you actually did say something similar about Siposs this time last year but now in hindsight you make a joke of it.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Interesting thoughts reg: Roberton.
I agree with you Loris on Robbo's reading of the play I recall him making a few good decisions down back that suggests he does indeed read the play well. This is an aspect of our defensive structures that wthe coaches no oubt will be trying to improve. I can see Roberton as perhaps a natural replacement for BJ (but comparing these 2 players is maybe not the way to go). I haven't really got enough of a feel for Simpkin or Newness yet to suggest they could be players who can successfully set us up from defence consistently but with Roberton I can imagine it.

I really hope Gilbert has his most successful year to date in and around the midfield/ wing. I think this would be a big win for the team if he can successfully transition to the centreso fingers crossed.

Looking forward to some positive surprises around the ground in 2014. If a few of the boys can nail down positions on a weekly basis it should really help with team development.

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
boneless23
Club Player

I think Gilbert has all the tools to become an elite midfield stopper in the Ryan Crowley mould.

Like Crowley, Gilbert can get dangerous up forward which would give his opponenent something extra to think about than just winning their own pill.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

boneless23 wrote:I think Gilbert has all the tools to become an elite midfield stopper in the Ryan Crowley mould.

Like Crowley, Gilbert can get dangerous up forward which would give his opponenent something extra to think about than just winning their own pill.

Not sure he is a great defender as such. Seems more like an attacking defender.