Good vibes about our coach

busso mick

Good vibes about our coach

I know he hasn't coached a game of AFL for the Saints for premiership points but I am very impressed with what I have seen and heard from Richo so far.

In particular this quote from the following article has a lot of resonance with me.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-03-1 ... -the-leash

“I hope I’ll be calm and measured and not emotional,” he said. “There are moments where something that we want to stand for as a group aren’t adhered to, so then my voice is often a reflection of the players’ commitment to each other and what they stand for.”

Lets hope our management can hang tough and can give Richo a fair go, as my gut feeling is we have got ourselves a very good coach and educator for our young list.

Re: Good vibes about our coach

I like how he doesn't seem to play petty mind games about selection. It makes supporters feel more involved, and it won't detriment the team.

I've heard he his very good at developing young talent.

LTN16

Cairnsman wrote:I've heard he his very good at developing young talent.
I also heard the same thing about Scott Watters..

But all the best Richo! Its going to be a tough year but we all should stick behind him the players and the club.

A marked improvement on the last coach - I strongly believe he will be a rippa for our club!

WinnersOnly wrote:A marked improvement on the last coach - I strongly believe he will be a rippa for our club!

I dont see how anyone can say that yet. And i reckon many said that after SW was appointed. Unless our coaches just keep getting better then it isnt possible that the next coach is always better than the last coach.

WinnersOnly wrote:A marked improvement on the last coach - I strongly believe he will be a rippa for our club!

I dont see how anyone can say that yet. And i reckon many said that after SW was appointed. Unless our coaches just keep getting better then it isnt possible that the next coach is always better than the last coach.
Of course they are getting better with each coach, that's why we change them every 18 months…

Perfectly linear. Upgrade upon upgrade.

I think it's about the Vibe, he said strongly.

Cairnsman wrote: I think it's about the Vibe, he said strongly.

remember there was months of white anting about SW before we all started believing he was no good.
all it takes is an 'insider' to say something like 'the senior players dont rate him' and the same can happen again.

but lets hope that doesnt happen this time around!

for now its nothing but na nah nah nah nah nah nah

vibe....meh

ShanghaiSaint

agree P66 guy hasn't coached real game yet but he's better... lets see if everyone still thinks like this after round 5.

I'm not making any predictions about coaches. I thought Lyon sounded like a complete dope and i was ready to see the back of him one third the way through his second season with us. I also thought Tim Watson was going to be really good for us. Ditto with Scott Watters. Don't ever let me be on a coaching selection panel

ShanghaiSaint

cwrcyn wrote:I'm not making any predictions about coaches. I thought Lyon sounded like a complete dope and i was ready to see the back of him one third the way through his second season with us. I also thought Tim Watson was going to be really good for us. Ditto with Scott Watters. Don't ever let me be on a coaching selection panel
hear you on SW thought he would be good as well.

Reality is our current list is in the valley of death so I think we should all spend less time worrying about the coach on week by week basis and more time hoping our youngsters develop .

Let's face it. These guys often go through exhausting interview processes given by ppl with vast knowledge in both footy and business. Of course they look and sound impressive at the start. If they didn't they wouldn't go close to getting the job. If I've learnt one thing over the last few years is that talk is cheap. I thought SW was going to be a ripper. He said all the right things. Came with all the right credentials. Had been an assistant at a premiership club, had coached successfully in his own right. And yet by the end of last season the overwhelming consensus was that he was a disaster. Bottom line is that no-one will have any idea what Richo is like until about 18months into the job.

For now I'm happy to be optimistic about him. Have quite a few mates who have been coached by him at East Burwood, and have heard great things about him in AFL circles.

Judgement at the end of 2014

Yep, he's the man we should have hired in 2011. Now that he has his chance, fingers crossed we'l produce.

BigMart wrote:Judgement at the end of 2014

How did SW look after 2012? Takes more than a year to make a judgement especially as we may only win 2 or 3 games.

I agree. most if not all of us thought Watters was refreshing after Lyon. Now we are saying the same about Richo, now just lets wait and see

The 2 I was most excited about were Watson & Blight.
In retrospect I was probably right in a way, without them would we still have got Riewoldt, Kozi, Ball and Goddard?

Our ladder position is going to be rubbish for the next 3 years minimum. Everyone within the club and outside the club needs to understand that and give AR time to develop the kids. IF we sack him before the end of his 4th year I will be bitterly disappointed because we already know where we are going to be in 3 years time - which is in the bottom 4. No coach in the league could turn this around any quicker.

BigMart wrote:Judgement at the end of 2014

How did SW look after 2012? Takes more than a year to make a judgement especially as we may only win 2 or 3 games.
It's that fickle there could be supporters calling for his head by the end of round 6, or at the very least supporters calling him "useless".

70s sainter

He's been around for a long time and you can tell that all media people not only respect him but they actually like him which comes across in media reports which is handy for the club.

wally

GT was a good motivator,mentor,inovator,etc etc but coped a lot of criticism for match day coaching(whether justified or not)
RL I didn't like him at first but grew to respect/like him.
AR seems like a decent well respected bloke so we'll see.
I hope for once a nice guy comes first,while he's our coach.