Good vibes about our coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

busso mick
Club Player

Good vibes about our coach

I know he hasn't coached a game of AFL for the Saints for premiership points but I am very impressed with what I have seen and heard from Richo so far.

In particular this quote from the following article has a lot of resonance with me.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-03-1 ... -the-leash

“I hope I’ll be calm and measured and not emotional,” he said. “There are moments where something that we want to stand for as a group aren’t adhered to, so then my voice is often a reflection of the players’ commitment to each other and what they stand for.”

Lets hope our management can hang tough and can give Richo a fair go, as my gut feeling is we have got ourselves a very good coach and educator for our young list.

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Good vibes about our coach

I like how he doesn't seem to play petty mind games about selection. It makes supporters feel more involved, and it won't detriment the team.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I've heard he his very good at developing young talent.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:I've heard he his very good at developing young talent.
I also heard the same thing about Scott Watters..

But all the best Richo! Its going to be a tough year but we all should stick behind him the players and the club.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

A marked improvement on the last coach - I strongly believe he will be a rippa for our club!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:A marked improvement on the last coach - I strongly believe he will be a rippa for our club!

I dont see how anyone can say that yet. And i reckon many said that after SW was appointed. Unless our coaches just keep getting better then it isnt possible that the next coach is always better than the last coach.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:A marked improvement on the last coach - I strongly believe he will be a rippa for our club!

I dont see how anyone can say that yet. And i reckon many said that after SW was appointed. Unless our coaches just keep getting better then it isnt possible that the next coach is always better than the last coach.
Of course they are getting better with each coach, that's why we change them every 18 months…

Perfectly linear. Upgrade upon upgrade.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I think it's about the Vibe, he said strongly.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: I think it's about the Vibe, he said strongly.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

remember there was months of white anting about SW before we all started believing he was no good.
all it takes is an 'insider' to say something like 'the senior players dont rate him' and the same can happen again.

but lets hope that doesnt happen this time around!

for now its nothing but na nah nah nah nah nah nah

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

vibe....meh

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

agree P66 guy hasn't coached real game yet but he's better... lets see if everyone still thinks like this after round 5.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I'm not making any predictions about coaches. I thought Lyon sounded like a complete dope and i was ready to see the back of him one third the way through his second season with us. I also thought Tim Watson was going to be really good for us. Ditto with Scott Watters. Don't ever let me be on a coaching selection panel

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:I'm not making any predictions about coaches. I thought Lyon sounded like a complete dope and i was ready to see the back of him one third the way through his second season with us. I also thought Tim Watson was going to be really good for us. Ditto with Scott Watters. Don't ever let me be on a coaching selection panel
hear you on SW thought he would be good as well.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Reality is our current list is in the valley of death so I think we should all spend less time worrying about the coach on week by week basis and more time hoping our youngsters develop .

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Let's face it. These guys often go through exhausting interview processes given by ppl with vast knowledge in both footy and business. Of course they look and sound impressive at the start. If they didn't they wouldn't go close to getting the job. If I've learnt one thing over the last few years is that talk is cheap. I thought SW was going to be a ripper. He said all the right things. Came with all the right credentials. Had been an assistant at a premiership club, had coached successfully in his own right. And yet by the end of last season the overwhelming consensus was that he was a disaster. Bottom line is that no-one will have any idea what Richo is like until about 18months into the job.

For now I'm happy to be optimistic about him. Have quite a few mates who have been coached by him at East Burwood, and have heard great things about him in AFL circles.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Judgement at the end of 2014

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yep, he's the man we should have hired in 2011. Now that he has his chance, fingers crossed we'l produce.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Judgement at the end of 2014

How did SW look after 2012? Takes more than a year to make a judgement especially as we may only win 2 or 3 games.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I agree. most if not all of us thought Watters was refreshing after Lyon. Now we are saying the same about Richo, now just lets wait and see

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The 2 I was most excited about were Watson & Blight.
In retrospect I was probably right in a way, without them would we still have got Riewoldt, Kozi, Ball and Goddard?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Our ladder position is going to be rubbish for the next 3 years minimum. Everyone within the club and outside the club needs to understand that and give AR time to develop the kids. IF we sack him before the end of his 4th year I will be bitterly disappointed because we already know where we are going to be in 3 years time - which is in the bottom 4. No coach in the league could turn this around any quicker.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Judgement at the end of 2014

How did SW look after 2012? Takes more than a year to make a judgement especially as we may only win 2 or 3 games.
It's that fickle there could be supporters calling for his head by the end of round 6, or at the very least supporters calling him "useless".

70s sainter
Club Player

He's been around for a long time and you can tell that all media people not only respect him but they actually like him which comes across in media reports which is handy for the club.

wally
Club Player

GT was a good motivator,mentor,inovator,etc etc but coped a lot of criticism for match day coaching(whether justified or not)
RL I didn't like him at first but grew to respect/like him.
AR seems like a decent well respected bloke so we'll see.
I hope for once a nice guy comes first,while he's our coach.