James Coghlan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

James Coghlan

Anyone up Bendigo-way able to shed any light on whether James Coghlan (son of Frankie), who will play TAC Cup in 2014, will make it to AFL level? If so, he'd be a potential Father / Son pick.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: James Coghlan

Almost certain he was one of the youngsters who trained with the club last season, with Connor Harvey and a few others??

So the club are at least keeping an eye on him.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

A Family Day tweet yesterday from a popular former Saint :)

@gordonfode: @stkildafc past players @gordonfode Frank Coghlan & his son James #saintsbtb #saintsfamilyday http://t.co/GMXJ9eAPuu

Vazelos
Club Player

I used to play soccer against Gordon Fode, he played for Sandringham & I was playing for East Bentleigh. I think he took up tennis as a teenager & then footy in his late teens. Next thing you know I turn up at Moorabbin after not seeing him for a few years & he has made top grade Footy. What an athlete!! Didn't even play until very late. 1988 as his big year under the Doc, played many games. Wa shandy at full forward sometimes as well.
Frankie Coghlan, what a top player for the saints!!

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Frank was a terrific player for us. A real goer. Found the ball quite a bit, and always in the thick of the action.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Yes, but he tackled like Liberace, not Liberatore

Junior
Club Player

I believe that James has made the Bendigo Pioneers squad for this year, but I have no idea how good a player he is.

Frank played over 100 games so as stated above certainly a father son chance.

Wish the kid all the best is dad was a great player, the amount of times he put the ball out in space for Plugger to mark was unbelievable.

I remember when we recruited Frank that the talk was that he used to beat Greg Williams when they played in Bendigo. He never got to those heights but was a ball magnet and late in his career a very clever small forward.

I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was 16 years old, ST Kilda were training at an indoors football centre in the industrial estate next to Dingley. Happened to be riding my bike past and saw the late great Trevor Barker about to walk in so I asked if I could go in and watch Barks being Barks of course said no problem.

Sitting there watching the players being put into teams when I get a tap on the shoulder from some official asking if I would like to make up numbers, so I jumped at the chance.

Played a match with Frank Coghlan, Rod Owen, Nicky Winmar fresh from WA, Frank Carbone, Danny Lamb who I think was the red headed brother of Jamie Lamb, Paddy Garrett who I think suffers a badly Brocken leg and went on to VFL and I think Cranbourne.

My ever lasting memories of the game were that the ball hurt hitting your hands when Nicky kicked it to you, Rocket Rod Owen sledging in a funny way and the fact that at the end of the game as I went to leave I was invited back for the following week and Frank Skeeter Coghlan asking me to stay and have a soft drink with him.

Great bloke and an under rated footballer.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Great story Junior.

I also got to know Frankie a bit while he was at the Saints (the old Social Club was conducive to such meetings).

I remember he agreed to fill in for our hapless Indoor Cricket team, which played in an industrial estate in Cochranes Road, one wintry Wednesday night.

I was an average player anyway but on that night, perhaps due to the excitement of having a "celebrity" in our ranks, I do remember bowling rank full toss after rank full toss.

And in doing so....

......getting the only hat trick I ever bowled! :P :P :P

dragit
Saintsational Legend

That's an awesome story Junior… doesn't get much better than that.

Junior
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Great story Junior.

I also got to know Frankie a bit while he was at the Saints (the old Social Club was conducive to such meetings).

I remember he agreed to fill in for our hapless Indoor Cricket team, which played in an industrial estate in Cochranes Road, one wintry Wednesday night.

I was an average player anyway but on that night, perhaps due to the excitement of having a "celebrity" in our ranks, I do remember bowling rank full toss after rank full toss.

And in doing so....

......getting the only hat trick I ever bowled! :P :P :P
Great story, take the hatrick anyway you can get it. I used to play indoor soccer down there and played indoor cricket there once against Noiseworks, we had to use a tennis ball so as not damage their hands.

Social club was certainly a good way to meet players in the day, although it wold be fair to say that they were perhaps not in the best state at the time.

Junior
Club Player

dragit wrote:That's an awesome story Junior… doesn't get much better than that.
It as as close as I would ever get to playing AFL/VFL football.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Great that the club has reconciled with Frankie. :D Always sad when this isn't the case.

(Does anyone know if things were ever patched up with the great George Young?)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Great that the club has reconciled with Frankie. :D Always sad when this isn't the case.

(Does anyone know if things were ever patched up with the great George Young?)
George Young is still a saints man ... he has shown his support of the Western Saints many a time ... great man is George

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: George Young is still a saints man ... he has shown his support of the Western Saints many a time ... great man is George
I'm about to line up for my 42nd consecutive season and that can be largely attributed to one man's exploits in the 1970s :)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote: George Young is still a saints man ... he has shown his support of the Western Saints many a time ... great man is George
I'm about to line up for my 42nd consecutive season and that can be largely attributed to one man's exploits in the 1970s :)

im a little bit the same but for me it was Stewie Loewe ... i remember being a kid and seeing him at melbourne international airport departure lounge .. i was like 10 years old and he was a giant of a man i remember talking to him and he shook my hand with those HUGE hands of his they were half way up my arm ... he was such a nice bloke... from that day on he was my favorite saints player and still to this day ....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Love these threads.

Great stories, and true Saints men

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:(Does anyone know if things were ever patched up with the great George Young?)
George Young is still a saints man ... he has shown his support of the Western Saints many a time ... great man is George
Thanks for that Trav. I'm really rapt to hear it. :D

Great player, and in some struggling sides too. I reckon George slowed our slide by a season or two. Still can't work out how he isn't in our Team of the Century. :?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: