We need a big forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainterinsydney
Club Player

We need a big forward

Watching GWS yesterday emphasised how important it is to have a top notch big forward, or even two. The next two years should be used to find a marquee young forward, either through the draft or trade--maybe even going after Boyd or Patton.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: We need a big forward

I believe we should have a crack at Patton at the end of the year. His form yesterday showed what he could do. Seems he has recovered well from his ACL injury. He'll certainly cost us plenty, if they are willing to trade for him at all. Should have a top three pick to throw into the ring. Would the pelican be willing to divert from his plan and use a top first rounder on him?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah it's looking like we are about to enter a new era of elite power forwards dominating the game and kicking 100 plus goals per season...could also emphasise the need to have some big star full backs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I believe we should have a crack at Patton at the end of the year. His form yesterday showed what he could do. Seems he has recovered well from his ACL injury. He'll certainly cost us plenty, if they are willing to trade for him at all. Should have a top three pick to throw into the ring. Would the pelican be willing to divert from his plan and use a top first rounder on him?

There should be no issue at all using a top 3 pick if you think you are getting a player who you think is as good as a top 3 player in the draft especially because he is young.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I believe we should have a crack at Patton at the end of the year. His form yesterday showed what he could do. Seems he has recovered well from his ACL injury. He'll certainly cost us plenty, if they are willing to trade for him at all. Should have a top three pick to throw into the ring. Would the pelican be willing to divert from his plan and use a top first rounder on him?

There should be no issue at all using a top 3 pick if you think you are getting a player who you think is as good as a top 3 player in the draft especially because he is young.
Why use a top 3 pick when you finish last and can use the first pre season pick?
We got 3 players for our no.1 pre season pick the year we got Hamill, Gehrig and co.
Finishing last rather than second last has its advantages….

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Ideally we put together a similar deal to what Melb did to get Dom Tyson. If we finish bottom and have picks 1 & 19 in the draft and GWS have a pick around 8-10 we swap our first 2 picks for Patton and their 8-10 pick. Wishful thinking but you can't underestimate the power of the #1 pick. I dare say it will be off limits anyway with the best talent in the draft becoming clearer throughout the TAC Cup and national champs and clubs getting aroused over the prospect of having that kid on the list.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

There's meant to be some good talls in the draft this year. Whether we get pick 1, 2 or 3 I think we'll get one this year.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Ideally we put together a similar deal to what Melb did to get Dom Tyson. If we finish bottom and have picks 1 & 19 in the draft and GWS have a pick around 8-10 we swap our first 2 picks for Patton and their 8-10 pick. Wishful thinking but you can't underestimate the power of the #1 pick. I dare say it will be off limits anyway with the best talent in the draft becoming clearer throughout the TAC Cup and national champs and clubs getting aroused over the prospect of having that kid on the list.
Why swap, just take him in pre season

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

GWS would be mad to trade Patton. He's the next J. Brown and a Rooey type leader of that club.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Clubs dont like doing that anymore because you get a bad reputation. Only happens now in very extreme cases.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hamill ...... Traded for Pick 4 (Luke Livingston) and Sam Cranage
Gehrig ...... Traded for Pick 18 (Daniel Kerr)

We selected Brett Voss with Pre Season Pick #1

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Hamill ...... Traded for Pick 4 (Luke Livingston) and Sam Cranage

I dont get what your point actually is. Anyway trading has completely changed since then.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
Old Mate wrote: Ideally we put together a similar deal to what Melb did to get Dom Tyson. If we finish bottom and have picks 1 & 19 in the draft and GWS have a pick around 8-10 we swap our first 2 picks for Patton and their 8-10 pick. Wishful thinking but you can't underestimate the power of the #1 pick. I dare say it will be off limits anyway with the best talent in the draft becoming clearer throughout the TAC Cup and national champs and clubs getting aroused over the prospect of having that kid on the list.

Clubs dont like doing that anymore because you get a bad reputation. Only happens now in very extreme cases.
And here's me thinking that's how we got Bruce, threat of PSD.
It's the threat of the PSD that gets the deals done IMO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:

And here's me thinking that's how we got Bruce, threat of PSD.
It's the threat of the PSD that gets the deals done IMO

Yep but did we actually use it? No. have a look at who gets drafted in that draft these days. Not many at all.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We have Spencer.

But we need another 2 x Top 3 picks who are KPPs.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

sainterinsydney wrote:Watching GWS yesterday emphasised how important it is to have a top notch big forward, or even two. The next two years should be used to find a marquee young forward, either through the draft or trade--maybe even going after Boyd or Patton.
Dominant midfields win finals ! It wouldnt matter who you would have forward if you cant win the ball through the midfield. Evidence of this will be our first game of the year. If our midfield dont match Melbourne we wont win!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:We have Spencer.

But we need another 2 x Top 3 picks who are KPPs.

Yep we have Spencer. I have no idea if that is sacasm or not. he hasnt done a single thing yet. he may or may not but if we are hanging our hat on him we could be in trouble. Anyway our problem is in the midfield. Sides can still win without forwards if the mids dominate.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I dont get what your point actually is. Anyway trading has completely changed since then.
Hamill left due to John Elliott and we were the lucky ones with a good Draft pick to offer. We were also gifted BJ Thanks to Elliott. Elliott nearly won us a flag or two!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

His sister now considers herself a Giants fan. I think he's pretty settled up there and contracted until the end of 2015. Cam Mc Carthy got drafted up there, Kristian Jaksche etc. Those are the more available ones. Unless Boyd or Patton dominate to a point the other doesn't see a place in the forward line. You almost just have to hope one of the KPFs in this draft are as good now. Otherwise try to find someone like Liam Jones who might be a Schultz type that takes a while to get good.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

As I recall, it was the threat of picking those players in the PSD that enabled us to get the deal done on our terms.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

You'd assume that the club rates Lee & White quite highly…

I'd rather see us draft an O'Meara type than a Patton personally…

I don't think any of the past 5 or so flags have been won on the back of a dominant power forward… Gunston had twice the influence of Franklin last year and he's more of talll-medium.

Our reliance on one gun forward has been our downfall when he is triple teamed.

Will be interesting to see where go in the next couple of drafts.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:You'd assume that the club rates Lee & White quite highly…

I'd rather see us draft an O'Meara type than a Patton personally…

I don't think any of the past 5 or so flags have been won on the back of a dominant power forward… Gunston had twice the influence of Franklin last year and he's more of talll-medium.

Our reliance on one gun forward has been our downfall when he is triple teamed.

Will be interesting to see where go in the next couple of drafts.
Some merit in that but I'd also argue with Riewoldt in top form his influence on a game directly and via making opposition over focus on him won us games and was a big part of dominance in recent years

Point is yes have good mids ideally with 2-3 A graders but if Bea Maston? Is your only true target you end up being Carlton

“Yeah….nah””
saint6709
Club Player

Play Stanley from the goal square - all year - if at seasons end he isn't getting any better - the writting might be on the wall for him

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

We need a big forward....

We need a big back....

We need a whole bunch of big fast hard at it mids.....

We need KPP's

We need a whole bunch of GOP's

We need another half dozen 1st round dps, FA,s and trades.

Think I have covered it.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:We need a big forward....

We need a big back....

We need a whole bunch of big fast hard at it mids.....

We need KPP's

We need a whole bunch of GOP's

We need another half dozen 1st round dps, FA,s and trades.

Think I have covered it.
You left out money and excellent administration