Coaching/structures/game plan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beekay
SS Life Member

Coaching/structures/game plan

Not much mention of these. Something I'm highly interested in, but am no expert.

Lot's of individual analysis, but I thought our youngsters ability to adhere to strict defensive efforts was a massive positive.

At the game, we looked really organised in patches. Seemed like there was a big effort to play and develop a good brand, not just to win at all costs. Think it may have been in the 3rd, but we had a great press that clicked for 5 minutes or so.

Riewoldt was coaching throughout. He was ready to bake Dunstan at one point, but held back and demonstrated first hand where Dunstan should be covering.

Don't get me wrong, Hawthorn would have toyed with us. But a big positive out of the night, considering the team we fielded.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Coaching/structures/game plan

Based around defence and contested ball

There was nothing pretty or systematic about the ball movement.... But the pressure applied to win it back and work in the clinches must be the #1 priority..... Ball movement patterns were inconsistent.

Three post fwds with one hitting up, two small fwds, a HHF ..... A very standard structure

I reckon, haven't looked, but Melbourne had more footy.... But there extra man at the footy was easily counteracted by a defender folding back.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Based around defence and contested ball

There was nothing pretty or systematic about the ball movement.... But the pressure applied to win it back and work in the clinches must be the #1 priority..... Ball movement patterns were inconsistent.

Three post fwds with one hitting up, two small fwds, a HHF ..... A very standard structure

I reckon, haven't looked, but Melbourne had more footy.... But there extra man at the footy was easily counteracted by a defender folding back.

I find nearly impossible to tell that from TV. How can you do it?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

One thing was obvious....they played for the coach. We lacked talent and experience but not old fashioned hard work. I thought the Dees dug in as well. Roo the difference.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Tackling and defensive pressure very noticeable.

Also we hit in hard. Very hard.

Loved it.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

He has a widescreen. :mrgreen:

karnaby
Club Player

Beekay wrote: ... Think it may have been in the 3rd, but we had a great press that clicked for 5 minutes or so.
I noted that and really enjoyed it too. Basically we manned up everyone forward of the ball very well at those times. It happened in the last quarter too. Also thru the last quarter we took a lot of tempo out of the game and soaked up time very well.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Because you have a limited understanding of the game?

Questions P66

Why do you reckon Melbourne were able to chip it around through the middle?

Why did Dempster, Roberton, Gwilt find it easy to get two on one aerials and split on the take away?

The structure was so obvious blind freddy could see it....
The ball movement was simple, and haphazard...

They actually dismantled Melbourne's overuse through the middle Hawthorn style with pressure and caused turnovers scoring opportunities.

Honesty... I've been to the footy occasionally and watched it on the box occasionally? Both have advantages, but I am no more or less informed either way. Probably at the footy I get more caught up in the emotion and ball watching I miss things (eg, sometimes I'll think such and such had a quiet game... Only to find out they got 20+). Generally watch the replay afterwards to get a better review of the game...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Because you have a limited understanding of the game?

Questions P66

Why do you reckon Melbourne were able to chip it around through the middle?

Why did Dempster, Roberton, Gwilt find it easy to get two on one aerials and split on the take away?

The structure was so obvious blind freddy could see it....
The ball movement was simple, and haphazard...

They actually dismantled Melbourne's overuse through the middle Hawthorn style with pressure and caused turnovers scoring opportunities.

Honesty... I've been to the footy occasionally and watched it on the box occasionally? Both have advantages, but I am no more or less informed either way. Probably at the footy I get more caught up in the emotion and ball watching I miss things (eg, sometimes I'll think such and such had a quiet game... Only to find out they got 20+). Generally watch the replay afterwards to get a better review of the game...

I thought you hadnt been to see the saints live for about 6 years? There is no doubt you see much more about strutures at the footy especially if you sit up on level 2. TV usually has in close stuff so it easier to see mistakes and frees from TV but impossible to see structures or whether a guy runs like a super rules player.

I trust most AFL coaches have more knowledge about footy than us and they always go to the game and then im sure watch it back later on TV especially if they get above ground vision.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I guess you answered those questions?

Did you use a familiar jibe? Perhaps photo? Or something similar....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I guess you answered those questions?

Did you use a familiar jibe? Perhaps photo? Or something similar....

Have a look. You usually do. And fancy me actually answering a post where you actually asked questions. What was I thinking. No photo mention this time just making a point that its impossible to see a how a player is running from TV and thats proven by the guys still playing fantastic footy.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I thought there was a move to more keeping of the ball with passing and trying to shift the opposition out of their zone before going forward ala Hawthorn. That period at the start of the last quarter where we kept the ball for almost five minutes was a good example. What jumped out at me though was the consistency across the whole side. The gap between our worst player and our best was quite small. I think that will be a focus from Richo - less reliance on the top end talent - only as stong as your weakest link. A spread of goal kickers and more variety going forward looked good too. Good signs albeit one match.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I think Richo is a more user friendly version of Ross Lyon and is the petfect fit for our club!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
philtee
Club Player

I'm guessing it was a set play that gave Armitage his goal - tap-out to the boundary while everyone drifts the other way,
leaving Armitage 5 metres clear with the footy and able to clunk a drawing left-foot goal from the boundary.
Whoever was supposed to be picking up Armitage would have been thinking "uh-oh".

minneapolis
Club Player

Philtte, I agree, that's exactly what I thought when I saw that play. Gives you some he that we can do it too.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

They had 60 more possessions than we did. That does not augur well for the Dees this year. A difference like that should get you over the line. Except if it's Melbourne.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

So, our new coach gets the thumbs up?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:Not much mention of these. Something I'm highly interested in, but am no expert.

Lot's of individual analysis, but I thought our youngsters ability to adhere to strict defensive efforts was a massive positive.

At the game, we looked really organised in patches. Seemed like there was a big effort to play and develop a good brand, not just to win at all costs. Think it may have been in the 3rd, but we had a great press that clicked for 5 minutes or so.

Riewoldt was coaching throughout. He was ready to bake Dunstan at one point, but held back and demonstrated first hand where Dunstan should be covering.

Don't get me wrong, Hawthorn would have toyed with us. But a big positive out of the night, considering the team we fielded.

richo said having roo was like having an extra assistant coach out on the field....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He has a widescreen. :mrgreen:
made me lol....i can just imagine old puggsie sitting there eyes glued ten inches away from his 17inch black and white awa tellie..... :D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I The gap between our worst player and our best was quite small. .

that's gotta be a joke...the gap between the performance of jones and maister was bigger than the grand canyon......

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

We had to attend a function so I recorded the game and watched it this morning. Not ideal but gives a chance to try and be analytical (within my limited knowledge). The most obvious instruction IMO is that they have been told to close down the space ASAP when the opposition has the ball.

Last year we were corralling the man with the ball, but not pressuring him. Already after one game, you can see that they have been told to put maximum pressure on the ball carrier. The other aspect was the desire to play-on and run and carry. The negative I noticed was that we had a tendency for all players to get drawn into a stoppage leaving Melbourne with blokes unmarked off the stoppage waiting to receive the clearance - I put that down to inexperience.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yep noticed the attack the ball carrier too

Look forward to seeing how it holds up against quality

“Yeah….nah””
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Bluthy wrote:I The gap between our worst player and our best was quite small. .

that's gotta be a joke...the gap between the performance of jones and maister was bigger than the grand canyon......
Maister was always in the game, presenting, crashing packs, bringing it to ground, just couldn't hold a mark to save himself. For years we've had our bottom six doing the barest minimum, like bolts in a machine, while the heavy pieces of equipment win the game for us. Made us too predictable. Richo looks like a great encourager of all players to use their skills and talent and take the game on when its there. Seeing Eli and Dunstan look so confident and bold out there already is a great sign.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

A lot less handball and more kick it forward quickly and not wait until the perfect lead.

Under Scott Watters (and Ross to a lesser extent) you would often see 4 or 5 handballs eventhough it turned out that the first handler had the best kick option. In the meantime, numerous leads were wasted.

In this match we had 121 handballs. In our last game of 2013 we have 252, although this game turned out to be a bath. So perhaps a better comparison is our last game against Melbourne where we had 178, that's 47% more than the other night.

Also, we are lot harder at the opposition when they have the ball. Time will tell how this pans out with our young bodies.

FQF
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:A lot less handball and more kick it forward quickly and not wait until the perfect lead.

Under Scott Watters (and Ross to a lesser extent) you would often see 4 or 5 handballs eventhough it turned out that the first handler had the best kick option. In the meantime, numerous leads were wasted.

In this match we had 121 handballs. In our last game of 2013 we have 252, although this game turned out to be a bath. So perhaps a better comparison is our last game against Melbourne where we had 178, that's 47% more than the other night.

Also, we are lot harder at the opposition when they have the ball. Time will tell how this pans out with our young bodies.
If the hardness at the opposition can't be sustained for the entire season, that's fine. It's all part of the rebuild. Also expect to see plenty of rotations through the side with guys like Ross, Murdoch and Weller getting stints while others rest. As long as everyone buys in, we'll be tracking well.