Dal Santo's Effort Being Questioned

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dal Santo's Effort Being Questioned

Listening to Ox and Dermie on SEN discuss the topic of Dal and his first game performance for the Roos. They both agreed that he didn't give effort and that if Ross Lyon was still his coach he'd be dropped.

They also went on to say that Brad Scott should tap him on the shoulder and let him know that there are a lot of kids at the club watching him closely so he should set a better example.

The last point is the one that frustrated me the most in the last few seasons of watching Dal. I hope he digs in because it would be a shame for him to fade out of the game.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal Santo's Effort Being Questioned

He admitted himself on tv sunday he was the one who had let Watson of the leash

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:He admitted himself on tv sunday he was the one who had let Watson of the leash

One of the ones, not the one.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dal has always struggled to be that leader type. North should have known he was an icing on the cake finisher not Lenny Hayes who will tie you to his back and march you up the mountain on his one good leg. Dal has some great strengths but he isn't what the needed most probably. Goddard probably offers more of that hyper competitive push and elite training that they would love to instil in their younger players. Dal will help play a role but he won't write the script.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I've always thought he needs a bit of mongrel in him .
Last year he played lazy football , at times i wondered what my wrong with him .
He's got great skills and i was pissed off we got rid of him . I think he will easily play until 2018 , he just needs that right inspiration to get him playing his best footy .
Watters obviously wasn't able to do , I wonder if Scott can .

After 2010 , I thought he and goddard were the ones to take the saints into the future . Instead their game preformances stagnated and three years later they're both out of the club .
Whose to blame ?

yep.... that's right

you guessed it

Frank Stallone !

In red white and black from 73
FQF
SS Life Member

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2 ... poor/64202

This sort of discussion on radio just makes me wonder how much footy these 'expert commentators' actually watch. I didn't see the North game, but going off their description of Dal's performance, it sounds exactly like Dal's performances week in week out at St Kilda. I really don't think anyone is entitled to be surprised at this, and if North are, then it shows very poor research.

Sometimes a player's reputation precedes them, and I think that Dal is such a case.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dal is a top player and will.be fine

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Dal is a top player and will.be fine
+1....those talking heads need something..or somone to talk about...but they always talk rubbish.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Notice Bradshaw furiously scoff suggestions that Zeibell should be dropped, makes headlines.

He is making it about player selection, in the hope people forget he gave Brad Scott a four year extension.

Eddie has taught him well.

Diversion.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Dal could never cope with being tagged. Nothing has changed. First quarter against the bombers he was everywhere and doing ok, then he got tagged and went out of the game.
Same with us, he never learned to deal with a hard tag.

I love him, and wish he was still with us, but North Melbourne think he will solve all their problems. Unfair on Dal to think so. North are a bunch of pretenders,
and I am not sure their coach is that great either. He is always whinging about something, or blaming someone.

Their heads started wobbling when they recruited Dal, but they need a few Dals, and a Roo or two.

And umm Petrie, where were you

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think though ideally swallow (when back) would be free if dal was tagged, it's the flow on effect.

Still, I don't rate their coach so don't think they'll do well.

lloyd21
Club Player

8-) Was a critic towards the end of the era at the saints with Dal Santo but disagree with what Dermie / Ox have said
Leigh Matthews was spot on he struggled big time with the North tactics .

They let Wells get monstered all day by Hocking everyone who are any good that plays North tag Wells but get found out when
He plays in the open( Wing ) he lights them up.
Dal Santo is not a tagger .. Bastinac is not a tagger Even Ziebell is not a Tagger
Cunnington is . Adams is ..? Yet went nowhere near Watson Goddard Stanton
Goddard hates being tagged Wright got him reported by tagging him when he played one his last games
Matthews stated he thought the coaching box was poor on the night.
If Dal Santo was playing at Hawthorn he would be behind the ball the same way as Mitchell plays and the same way
He was playing at the saints in the end.
Last edited by lloyd21 on Mon 24 Mar 2014 6:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I think though ideally swallow (when back) would be free if dal was tagged, it's the flow on effect.

I dont rate their coach either K. Think he got the job, because his brother did so well in his first year. He talks alot but says very little.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
SainterK wrote:I think though ideally swallow (when back) would be free if dal was tagged, it's the flow on effect.

I dont rate their coach either K. Think he got the job, because his brother did so well in his first year. He talks alot but says very little.

Didnt the North Scott start first. You guys must watch a lot of footy to know whether an opposition coach is a good coach or not. People who watch the saints couldnt work out whether SW was a good coach or not.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I watch a lot of footy...

What's it to ya?

:)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I watch a lot of footy...

What's it to ya?

No idea what you mean. Just made a simple statement. Im unsure you were able to tell us if SW was a good or bad coach but you know how you rate the North coach. Semms a bit strange thats all. I watch plenty of footy but not ennough to know much about Scott but each to their own. What was SW like as a coach?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Agree re Swallow's return, could make the difference, Dal will be helped when Swallow and Zeibell are diving in at ground level, Dal probably always suited to being 3rd or 4th Banana in the mid group.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mullet
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What's it to ya?

No idea what you mean. Just made a simple statement. Im unsure you were able to tell us if SW was a good or bad coach but you know how you rate the North coach. Semms a bit strange thats all. I watch plenty of footy but not ennough to know much about Scott but each to their own. What was SW like as a coach?
Yep and K and I made a simple statement too on what we thought of Scott as a coach. So what is your point? We are not allowed an opinion??? We didnt mention Scott Watters, nor any other coach. Just our opinion on Scott. I agreed with K, I didnt rate him. I didnt say I didnt rate him cos I watch a lot of footy and so I am an expert.

Seriously Plugger you really are tiresome. Why not contribute to the topic and not just attack other posters opinions FFS

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What's it to ya?

Brad Scott has had ample time.

I maintain it was early to make the call on Watters, that there wasn't enough of a body of work to judge him on.

He had lost the senior players, that's evident.

Brad however, no idea why he won himself a 4 year extension last year.

Playon
Club Player

Well they can always trade him, I'm sure we could find a spot

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What's it to ya?

Yep and K and I made a simple statement too on what we thought of Scott as a coach. So what is your point? We are not allowed an opinion??? We didnt mention Scott Watters, nor any other coach. Just our opinion on Scott. I agreed with K, I didnt rate him. I didnt say I didnt rate him cos I watch a lot of footy and so I am an expert.

Seriously Plugger you really are tiresome. Why not contribute to the topic and not just attack other posters opinions FFS

I think the guys on SEN were talking crap if what they said was in fact true. Dal is a great player and it was round one. And I have no idea if Scott would effect a player like dal. My guess is he wouldnt have any effect at all. By the way if annoy that much put me on ignore. Plenty have.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

No idea what you mean. Just made a simple statement. Im unsure you were able to tell us if SW was a good or bad coach but you know how you rate the North coach. Semms a bit strange thats all. I watch plenty of footy but not ennough to know much about Scott but each to their own. What was SW like as a coach?[/quote]

Seriously Plugger you really are tiresome. Why not contribute to the topic and not just attack other posters opinions FFS[/quote]

I think the guys on SEN were talking crap if what they said was in fact true. Dal is a great player and it was round one. And I have no idea if Scott would effect a player like dal. My guess is he wouldnt have any effect at all. By the way if annoy that much put me on ignore. Plenty have.[/quote]

I also think Dal is a great player, wish he was still with us. I think it is unfair that Dal is coping so much flak after one game, when he had plenty of team mates who did very little against Essendon. I dont need a button to ignore people, and this is a forum, I am interested in everyones opinion. I am not interested in snide remarks about people. Everyone is entitled to post their opinions, if I ignored people I may not learn things. I learn nothing from snide remarks about people

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:No idea what you mean. Just made a simple statement. Im unsure you were able to tell us if SW was a good or bad coach but you know how you rate the North coach. Semms a bit strange thats all. I watch plenty of footy but not ennough to know much about Scott but each to their own. What was SW like as a coach?

Seriously Plugger you really are tiresome. Why not contribute to the topic and not just attack other posters opinions FFS[/quote]

I think the guys on SEN were talking crap if what they said was in fact true. Dal is a great player and it was round one. And I have no idea if Scott would effect a player like dal. My guess is he wouldnt have any effect at all. By the way if annoy that much put me on ignore. Plenty have.[/quote]

I also think Dal is a great player, wish he was still with us. I think it is unfair that Dal is coping so much flak after one game, when he had plenty of team mates who did very little against Essendon. I dont need a button to ignore people, and this is a forum, I am interested in everyones opinion. I am not interested in snide remarks about people. Everyone is entitled to post their opinions, if I ignored people I may not learn things. I learn nothing from snide remarks about people[/quote]

I think you learn plenty. You learn the guy is an arsehole for a start. by the way I actually dont think it was snide remark but each to their own. I dont ignore anyone either. Its far to much fun to read everyone.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:I've always thought he needs a bit of mongrel in him .
Last year he played lazy football , at times i wondered what my wrong with him .
He's got great skills and i was pissed off we got rid of him . I think he will easily play until 2018 , he just needs that right inspiration to get him playing his best footy .
Watters obviously wasn't able to do , I wonder if Scott can .

After 2010 , I thought he and goddard were the ones to take the saints into the future . Instead their game preformances stagnated and three years later they're both out of the club .
Whose to blame ?

yep.... that's right

you guessed it

Frank Stallone !

He had a superb 2011 and showed the way after Lenny went down. I think he did well in the Brownlow as well.

He hasn't been much chop after that.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.