Bronx cheers = shame on us as supporters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Bronx cheers = shame on us as supporters

I don't care what player it is, so please don't come on in reply sticking it Beau again, that is not the point. The act of bronx cheering one of our own is completely unacceptable. What are we? Richmond!

No we are St Kilda, we know the bad times and we know the good times and we stick it tough and we support our own.

The players owe us as supporters nothing. Crossing the white line in our beloved colours and trying their best is all we can ask for. We choose to support the club for many reasons and some of us put in lots of money (when we can) but that gives you no right to boo publically one of our own. It gives you the right to share the joy and pain, comment to your mates and on this forum and god forbid facebook. But to make a public example of one player is tantamount to bullying. In other words those who do it are hiding in the crowd (much like social media) and feel that gives them the protection to do it. Little insecure people everyone of them.

How do you think it would feel to be one of the playing group and hear that coming over the fence at you. Look how ugly those Melbourne supporters looked last year booing their side off.

I live in Sydney and was not there, but any suporter who bronx cheered around me would clearly no my thoughts on it.

I have enjoyed the last two weeks as much as anybody but the two examples of the bronx cheers has definitely soured my joy.

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Re: Bronx cheers = shame on us as supporters

Good point Terry - it was not great to see at all. On the ground, he puts in as much effort as everyone else.

For Beau, it's a confidence thing and I am sure that he and the coaches will be working on it.

Freebird
Club Player

I was there and embarrassed...disgraceful

Beau gives his all more than most

spert
Saintsational Legend

Terrible display by supporters- every player is out there trying their guts out to win.

loris
Saintsational Legend

I was watching the game on TV (Foxtel coverage) and the commentators (who ever they were) picked up on the bronx cheer that went up when Beau marked a ball. The two commentators both passed comment on what poor form that was from the supposed supporters of the Saints. They both couldn't understand why Maister was getting such a re-action as they thought he was playing a serviceable role.

C'mon you Saint supporters who are lucky enough to be able to attend matches week after week.............. lift your game! Yep Maister has been having some difficulty in holding some marks. When he does mark, don't 'bronx cheer' him, clap him, holler for him, scream out BEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAUUUUUU! Also look at his game in totality, appreciate the good bullocking, off ball work he does.

Bronx cheerers, are like the negative nellies that come onto this site and call players........... soft, weak, lazy, gumbies, etc, etc before their fledgling careers have had time to develop ........... hey we true Sainters are better than that.

Kate
Club Player

Worse that the Bronx cheers was a couple of women behind me who were yelling out "Run, Forest, run" every time he led for the ball. This for the second week running.

It was offensive. If it continues there will be a heated confrontation before the year is out. Nasty, hateful bitches!

Megsie
Club Player

we are better than that. PLEASE NO MORE BRONX CHEERS.
Just a waste of energy.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I absolutely loathe Bronx cheers & feel disgraced when I hear it from a St Kilda crowd.

That said, I feel it is very different to making comments on a discussion forum. Players should not be on here reading unless they are prepared for the inevitable harsh critique from a nuffy fan.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I sat in my new reserved seat for the first time yesterday and really hoped there would be no idiots around. Too much to hope for I suppose. A few behind me were on "Wilkes" back all day and were part of the shameful Bronx cheer.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Floggish behaviour.
Just unacceptable . I can't understand the mindset from where that even comes .
Abuse the umps. Yell at the oppo. Get stuck into oppositon players. Thats all part of footy culture.

But Bronx cheers for our own players is just embarrassing.
Totally cringeworthy behaviour. Especially in such a hard fought slog.

Have these people only been supporting us since 04?
I'm happy if we win any game . Full stop.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind it. Might help Wilkesy get motivated to mark a few. His crashing and clearing of packs is useful and he won't be dropped for now.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I still can't stand what we did to Troy Schwartz... what does it achieve? Just breaks their confidence even more. I thought we wanted our players to do well?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I don't mind it. Might help Wilkesy get motivated to mark a few. His crashing and clearing of packs is useful and he won't be dropped for now.
I'm pretty sure his name is Maister. I checked the stats, and the guy who leads us for contested marks this year is Beau Maister.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
GoMilney

Well said Terry. Can't stand those supporters who bag their own. People need to open their eyes up about Beau. He is doing a lot of the heavy off the ball work. Blocking, placing defensive pressure, opening up space for his team mates and running his guts out to create an option to bring an opposition player with him and away from Roo. He is playing his role for the team - everyone needs to get off his back and support him and understand his role. It's not all about kicks, marks and handballs. Those marks are going stick sooner rather than later.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I don't mind it. Might help Wilkesy get motivated to mark a few. His crashing and clearing of packs is useful and he won't be dropped for now.
In other words, you were part of the Bronx cheer squad?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
I'm pretty sure his name is Maister. I checked the stats, and the guy who leads us for contested marks this year is Beau Maister.
So not only is it generally bad form - it also shows the people doing it have nfi about the game.

The idea a player will get 'motivated' by bronx cheer is insane.
It's also pretty obvious Beau is trying his guts out .
Add to the stats (thanks kosi) show he's pretty bloody effective as well.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Megsie wrote:we are better than that. PLEASE NO MORE BRONX CHEERS.
Just a waste of energy.

i agree....poor form.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Worse than Bronx cheers were the vitriolic abuse hurled in Maister's direction was unreal?!

He dropped a fed grabs... But had a crack

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Worse than Bronx cheers were the vitriolic abuse hurled in Maister's direction was unreal?!

He dropped a fed grabs... But had a crack

Agreed, even though he dropped marks both yesterday and last week, he was in there having a go and yes it maybe a confidence thing but is it going to improve with supporters doing the Bronx cheer? No and it only adds to the lack of confidence in marking.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt had some directed his way as well.

I loathe it.

I mean, we had the perfect target, we should of been booing the guy who took out Roo....much more helpful.

PJ
SS Life Member

You will not find a player out there trying any harder. If you see someone at the game doing this tell them to turn their membership in - absolute effing disgrace. .

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

It is the behavior of true morons. Unfortunately we have our fair share.

SS Hall of Fame

He worked pretty hard all day, that's all you can ask for. I was shocked at how LOUD the bronx cheer was. It was a little embarrassing.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

It's up to beau himself to stop the Bronx cheers from happening. Simply take those easy marks and not miss the kicks to teammates that are 10m away..

Grimfang
Club Player

Shyte behaviour from real flogs.

Watch his game and see how hard he worked and what he did do. Did not deserve such crap behaviour from our "supporters".

As for the Harpies sitting in the Level 1, Aisle 36, Row E. They epitomise the ugly supporter. They spend most of the game bagging their latest whipping boy (Maister these days). If it's not that, then it's slagging the team in general.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.