saints footy reborn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

saints footy reborn

...and I for one welcome it back with open arms.

The way we play footy under allan is very similar to the way we played footy under ross - back ourselves in to win the contested ball and tackles, which will keep us in every game, and rely on our systems and structures, not the individual players, to win matches. The key difference I see so far is that richardson places a far greater emphasis on kicking ability and disposal in general - richardson said in his presser that the reason we lost was not because our younger guys ran out of legs (as those media twats believed) but because we kicked the ball to the opposition too much. I thought our kicking was pretty much normal so this tells me that he's keen to develop a highly-skilled kicking side with a defensive / hard-ball winning make up: Saints Footy v.2.0, different to Saints footy v.1.0 in that we're not constantly butchering the ball with our kicking....

I'm really proud of the team for the way they acquitted themselves against the eagles, who are a bunch of flogs. It truly was a loss to be proud of, if there is such a thing. If it's not too early to say so, all you media 'experts' who so eagerly gave us the wooden spoon pre-season can take it back and stick it up yourselves, because here at st.kilda we've already got enough wooden spoons to last several hundred years, thanks.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Re: saints footy reborn

"Experts" who gave us the wooden spoon include: Mike Sheehan, Dermott Brereton, Jon Ralph, as well as roughly 70% of all pre-season "experts" predictions across the board - what a bunch of flogs.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:"Experts" who gave us the wooden spoon include: Mike Sheehan, Dermott Brereton, Jon Ralph, as well as roughly 70% of all pre-season "experts" predictions across the board - what a bunch of flogs.
Flogs?

How many on here knew we'd start as well as we have?

Can the kids keep up this intensity for a whole season ?

We aren't a bunch of experienced 25-30 year olds like 2009 remember.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I didn't get the negativity seeing we were in a good percentage of games last year even when we lost. Roos might have ben their false messiah.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I didn't get the negativity seeing we were in a good percentage of games last year even when we lost. Roos might have ben their false messiah.
Exactly. And two of those losses were directly from bad umpiring decisions.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:"Experts" who gave us the wooden spoon include: Mike Sheehan, Dermott Brereton, Jon Ralph, as well as roughly 70% of all pre-season "experts" predictions across the board - what a bunch of flogs.

Think there are flogs are here as well then because there were a few who said we would finish bottom. Anyway we still may. Its a long year. Playing very well at the moment but things could change especially with the young guys.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

What's wrong with people predicting where they think we will finish?

Should I people lie and have us higher?

Anyway, I'm not sure how the difference in game plans is kicking ability - I'm sure Ross didn't enjoy turnovers too.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm a flog and I vote.

Royston
Club Player

It's only their opinion....not right or wrong and it is very early days yet....

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Umpiring- this comment is part of "saints footy" because:
the way the guys hunted in packs, and made the ball their prime objective, encouraged the umps to actually umpire the game properly.
Instead of giving silly frees against us, they were actually concerned with the rules.
If the guys are second to the ball all the time, we get paid "in the back" etc all the time.
They only gave a handful of dubious frees, such as too high for that filth Selwood for ducking (as usual)

One nice free we got, was when one of the gumbies dived and took out Eli's legs...
I didn't expect that free, particularly so close to goal, but the ump was so quick I was amazed.
9 times out of 10, we wouldn't get that.
So keep on with the desperation, and the rewards will come. Umpiring will not be such an issue (like it was against the Bikie Molls last year (Tigers)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Just as long as we don't get "the bubble" back!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I still think we'll be doing well to win more than 6 games. It's just that Melbourne look like they're going to be hard to beat for the spoon - I think it was reasonable to expect a little bit of improvement from them with a new coach.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I though this was about the orange hatted people ;)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Just as long as we don't get "the bubble" back!
Not bubbles

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
I still think we'll be doing well to win more than 6 games. It's just that Melbourne look like they're going to be hard to beat for the spoon - I think it was reasonable to expect a little bit of improvement from them with a new coach.
Still a long season ahead, Clark, Dawes, Hogan & Jamar might help them win a few matches.
As impressive as we've been, we've just got past the other 2 bottom 3 sides so far. Most sides are still probably going to beat us.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The young kids will fall away, but taking it up to the eagles over there reassured me that the team is playing for Richardson and playing to instruction. The older brigade also seem to be playing with an extra spring in their step. Very good signs for the future.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stinger
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:...and I for one welcome it back with open arms.

The way we play footy under allan is very similar to the way we played footy under ross - back ourselves in to win the contested ball and tackles, which will keep us in every game, and rely on our systems and structures, not the individual players, to win matches. The key difference I see so far is that richardson places a far greater emphasis on kicking ability and disposal in general - richardson said in his presser that the reason we lost was not because our younger guys ran out of legs (as those media twats believed) but because we kicked the ball to the opposition too much. I thought our kicking was pretty much normal so this tells me that he's keen to develop a highly-skilled kicking side with a defensive / hard-ball winning make up: Saints Footy v.2.0, different to Saints footy v.1.0 in that we're not constantly butchering the ball with our kicking....

I'm really proud of the team for the way they acquitted themselves against the eagles, who are a bunch of flogs. It truly was a loss to be proud of, if there is such a thing. If it's not too early to say so, all you media 'experts' who so eagerly gave us the wooden spoon pre-season can take it back and stick it up yourselves, because here at st.kilda we've already got enough wooden spoons to last several hundred years, thanks.

i kept notes of just who said what.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Did you go to the same law school as Mrs Hird and pass 'Taking Notes 101' :wink: :wink: :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Still a long season ahead, Clark, Dawes, Hogan & Jamar might help them win a few matches.
As impressive as we've been, we've just got past the other 2 bottom 3 sides so far. Most sides are still probably going to beat us.

do't knpw if clark will ever return to afl and dawes injury is career threatening....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
stinger wrote:

Did you go to the same law school as Mrs Hird and pass 'Taking Notes 101' :wink: :wink: :wink:
don't think so....i went to sydney uni..... :D...and i think i've got a few years on her...just a few,,,, :wink: