Changes for Crows game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Changes for Crows game

Lee, Billings, Simpkin impressive for Sandringham. Steven, Fisher, Schneider not far away.

Gilbert out injured presumably,

Anyone want to take a crack at it?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for Crows game

Steven is a huge chance this week if he has a good week on the track.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Billings in

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would love to see the Wolfman Shenton come in if Gilbert is a LTI. Plays that running creative back well and has had about 1 and a half quarters of actual AFL game time. Give him 3 weeks and see if he's worth a spot next year.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Ins: Lee, Bruce & possibly Billings

Outs: Gilbert (inj), Maister & Saunders

We need more marking power and goal kicking power up forward!

Maister is so out of form with his marking its comical he has to go and shouldn't return unless we have injuries.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:We need more marking power and goal kicking power up forward
Agree, Lee may get the nod over Maister.
WinnersOnly wrote:Ins: Lee, Bruce & possibly Billings
I reckon Simpkin may be a chance to replace Gilbert. They are not really similar types, but Simpkin was very solid for Sandringham.

I'd love to see Billings in, but not sure at whose expense.

coopergrech
Club Player

Maister is so out of form with his marking its comical he has to go and shouldn't return unless we have injuries.

Did you watch the VFL yesterday Lee shouldn't be given a game. He was given 2 of his goals.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly hit the nail on the head. We are lacking marking power up forward, and more specifically our offence is a real concern. Hold Roo and we won't kick a winning score.

Billings and Lee the obvious inclusions to address our offence woes. They combined to kicked 9 goals for Sandy. If both can combine to kick 4 at AFL level then our chances of kicking a winning score dramatically increase. Maister had kick 1 goal in three games. Enough said. And as much as I admire Saunders as a defensive forward he's not providing enough offence support, unlike Eli who not only hits the scoreboard but regularly is involved in scoring chains. Saunders is under pressure IMO.

Assuming Gilbert is out....and give Longer a shot at busting packs up forward. He may even hit the scoreboard unlike Beau. Stanley versatile to play a lot deeper if need be. Not sure if there's a spot for Bruce at the moment.

In:
Billings, Lee & Longer

Out:
Saunders, Maister & Gilbert

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:WinnersOnly hit the nail on the head. We are lacking marking power up forward, and more specifically our offence is a real concern. Hold Roo and we won't kick a winning score.

Billings and Lee the obvious inclusions to address our offence woes. They combined to kicked 9 goals for Sandy. If both can combine to kick 4 at AFL level then our chances of kicking a winning score dramatically increase. Maister had kick 1 goal in three games. Enough said. And as much as I admire Saunders as a defensive forward he's not providing enough offence support, unlike Eli who not only hits the scoreboard but regularly is involved in scoring chains. Saunders is under pressure IMO.

Assuming Gilbert is out....and give Longer a shot at busting packs up forward. He may even hit the scoreboard unlike Beau. Stanley versatile to play a lot deeper if need be. Not sure if there's a spot for Bruce at the moment.

In:
Billings, Lee & Longer

Out:

Im not sure we could possibly go with a forward line of Longer, Stanley Rooy and Lee. None would provide any defensive pressure and it would be very slow. And im unsure any provide any pack marking skill. Lee in for Maister but I cant have Longer as well.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I am not sold on Lee.

Kicked three in a qtr with the wind yesterday but wasn't sighted for the rest of the game.

Dont know if he has got the tank actually.

Did we really give up #12 for Lee. Hope I am wrong and unlike others will say so, but this could b our worse high pick trade since Barry Brookes

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It's a fair point that Maister would probably kick 4 in the VFL as well. Lee may have more potential but that remains to be seen. Maybe I should ask the oracle, who I see has made a reappearance in another thread. One thing about Lee I guess is that if he has six shots at goal he'll probably kick four.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:WinnersOnly hit the nail on the head. We are lacking marking power up forward, and more specifically our offence is a real concern. Hold Roo and we won't kick a winning score.

In:
Billings, Lee & Longer

Out:
Im not sure we could possibly go with a forward line of Longer, Stanley Rooy and Lee. None would provide any defensive pressure and it would be very slow. And im unsure any provide any pack marking skill. Lee in for Maister but I cant have Longer as well.
Stanley to play the Gilbert-utility role. Wing/back line/loose man. Wherever the team needs him. Ruck too.

Roo his usual role roaming the flanks and forward 50.

Longer deep forward/pack crasher.

Lee third tall, leading forward.

Billings and Templeton small forwards.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

In:
Billings, Lee & Longer

Out:
Stanley to play the Gilbert-utility role. Wing/back line/loose man. Wherever the team needs him. Ruck too.

Roo his usual role roaming the flanks and forward 50.

Longer deep forward/pack crasher.

Lee third tall, leading forward.

Billings and Templeton small forwards.

Surely we arent sending Stanley back after his best game for the year. We will see what they do. Obviosly Longer is close but I really dont like 3 ruckman in a side when 2 of them arent really forwards and yes I know Hickey kicked 3 the other day.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Stanley played his best game cos he was played more on the ball and further from goal IMO (didn't bother the scoresheet). Stepped up with Hickey obviously being hampered with his toe/foot injury.

Like I said, Stanley to play as a utility, not necessarily in the back line, although he was quite successful playing as a loose man down back last year. And unless there's an injury I would def have one of those three ruck options as the player subbed off.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I am not sold on Lee.

Kicked three in a qtr with the wind yesterday but wasn't sighted for the rest of the game.

Did we really give up #12 for Lee. Hope I am wrong and unlike others will say so, but this could b our worse high pick trade since Barry Brookes
Pick 12 for Lee, Wright and Saunders. So far we are ahead IMO.

I'm not sold on Lee either, far from it. But if you listen to a lot of Sandy observers they say he's the type that will impact at AFL level and not necessarily at VFL level. Apparently that's what happened last year. It was hard to believe he was given AFL opportunity given his VFL performance but then did well when promoted. I actually think he gets a go, by default if nothing else. I love Beau's effort but he hasnt hit the scoreboard nearly enough to get a 4th go IMO.

lloyd21
Club Player

8-) agree

Freebird
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:

Pick 12 for Lee, Wright and Saunders. So far we are ahead IMO.

I'm not sold on Lee either, far from it. But if you listen to a lot of Sandy observers they say he's the type that will impact at AFL level and not necessarily at VFL level. Apparently that's what happened last year. It was hard to believe he was given AFL opportunity given his VFL performance but then did well when promoted. I actually think he gets a go, by default if nothing else. I love Beau's effort but he hasnt hit the scoreboard nearly enough to get a 4th go IMO.
How Saunders? we give up pick 12 and received Lee and pick 25? similar with Hickey
IMPO always go for quality not quantity, leave this to other clubs like Melbourne. A grade players win finals!!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The Lee deal was;

Pick 12 (Kristian Jaksch) for Lee and picks 24 (Wright) and 43 (Saunders).

Quality over quantity you say....well draft range doesn't automatically mean higher quality. Lets see how their respective careers pan out.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

You are aware that Lee played as FF and as the No2 ruck and with Holmes being Holmes Lee spent a fair bit of time on the ball rather than just quick spells?
joffaboy wrote: Did we really give up #12 for Lee. Hope I am wrong and unlike others will say so,

You are wrong. Go back and look at the deal again...or do you just go with the puerile TV commentators and Journos that keep spouting this rubbish?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 06 Apr 2014 4:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

You are aware that Lee played as FF and as the No2 ruck and with Holmes being Holmes Lee spent a fair bit of time on the ball rather than just quick spells?
joffaboy wrote: Did we really give up #12 for Lee. Hope I am wrong and unlike others will say so,

You are wrong. Go back and look at the deal again...or do you just go with the puerile TV commentators and Journos that keep spouting this rubbish.

Im not we can say he is wrong or right yet. lets see what happens in 2 or 3 years and see how the 3 players are going. The other thing we will never know is who we missed out on.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Im not we can say he is wrong or right yet. lets see what happens in 2 or 3 years and see how the 3 players are going. The other thing we will never know is who we missed out on.
I was not either. My comment was on the deal not just being pick 12 for Lee. We knew the day the deal was done that we did not trade Lee for pick 12.
That was just part of the deal.

What happens is a different thing. But the deal was not Lee for just pick 12.

Right here and now we look to have 2 players, maybe 3 out of the deal. As Pelchen's strategy includes deals to get more players in, more quickly so far it is looking ok. If Lee comes to the party it will be more than ok.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

This is really a response to TWO THREADS. This AND the kid gloves thread:

Management MIGHT be assisted by having Steven, Schneider & Fisher available this week or next. Add to that Billings, Lee & Simkin pressing for a spot. I'm not suggesting that we make 6 changes next week, but we could make even more than 6 over the next 3 weeks. Hopefully, that will contribute to the freshening of the senior team.

Arguing against myself a bit, but with the Kid Gloves thread;

Dunstan, Templeton, Saunders, Wright, Curran and Newnes haven't played that much senior footy and could hit the wall at any time. Even Montagna, Riewoldt & Hickey looked sore from the TV last night. I am confident that our coaching & fitness staff have the situation well under control !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Just had a look at the equivalent to the Changes v Crows thread on the Big Footy Saints board. One hundred and twenty replies as opposed to 22 here. Some good informed comment, too, and no slanging matches.

My conclusion. We were a better forum when we weren't a closed community. I'm not going anywhere, but it is time for a rebuild IMO

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Just had a look at the equivalent to the Changes v Crows thread on the Big Footy Saints board. One hundred and twenty replies as opposed to 22 here. Some good informed comment, too, and no slanging matches.

My conclusion. We were a better forum when we weren't a closed community. I'm not going anywhere, but it is time for a rebuild IMO
When did that thread start on bigfooty?

We've had no new members due a system fault since July 2013.

Another question - is Ross Lyon our admin? :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

agree with you 100% re beau...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.