Does this read familiar???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Does this read familiar???

Patrick White's column in The Oz today had a familiar ring about it.................. It reminded me of postings on the Saintsational Fan Forum, when we all go into a tailspin if the Saints aren't performing to our expectations.

Article goes:-

"By now, Carlton <insert St Kilda> will know of all its faults and have all its answers. That's what Mondays are for in football. Analysis by media. Talkback radio never stops, so many television review shows they topple into and over one another. And a social media more slanderous than helpful.

Invariably it involves sacking somebody. Normally the coach who goes first but by lunch the list is not much chop either and needs to be tipped on its head.

By evening the board is seen as full of self-indulgent cheer leaders and the recruiters wouldn't know a footballer from a water melon.............................".

Oh, haven't we read such sentiments on this site many a time over the years? :wink: :wink: :wink:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Does this read familiar???

Thank goodness it's them and not us. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of pr&cks. I think you're onto them, Loris. They have this "obituary" style article written in advance. Just insert the relevant team's name.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
busso mick
Club Player

While Sticks Kernahan is still involved in making big decisions at Carlton they are in strife. I freely admit I do enjoy watching the old grey Malthouse meltdown on the TV during a match and then proceed to be prickly to the press afterwards. In comparison with our breath of fresh air in Richo we are streets ahead.

Saints94
SS Life Member

busso mick wrote:While Sticks Kernahan is still involved in making big decisions at Carlton they are in strife. I freely admit I do enjoy watching the old grey Malthouse meltdown on the TV during a match and then proceed to be prickly to the press afterwards. In comparison with our breath of fresh air in Richo we are streets ahead.
+1, I'm loving Carlton's downhill spiral, couldn't happen to a more deserving "team"

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Must admit, my hatred of Carlton has waned a little over the years… they're just so pathetic that I can't muster any interest in disliking them compared to say - Essendon.

I am sure that if Carlton were ever a genuine threat again, they could shoot up the charts as "most despised"

Thank you sweet little lord baby jesus that Malthouse ended up there and not with us.

loris
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Thank you sweet little lord baby jesus that Malthouse ended up there and not with us.
Amen, Amen. :P

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Carlton and Essendon are still trapped in an old boys mentality where the check book fixes everything and a good player will come for an envelope of cash. The are struggling to adjust to modern times. Carlton is having issues with recruiting players and Essendon struggle with not being able to pay their way out of corruption issues. I just wish Collingwood was going even worse.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

All very predictable. I wouldn't be surprised if some journos had these stories ready to go before the season started and as soon as the first club is under the pump they bring it out.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saint6709
Club Player

busso mick wrote:While Sticks Kernahan is still involved in making big decisions at Carlton they are in strife. I freely admit I do enjoy watching the old grey Malthouse meltdown on the TV during a match and then proceed to be prickly to the press afterwards. In comparison with our breath of fresh air in Richo we are streets ahead.
What do you mean ???? He was on the radio today saying their would be a draft at the end of the year and then another one the year after that ...........this guy really knows his stuff

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

VG Loris.

Do you mean Patrick Smith? It doesn't matter.

I think we're in a better position than Carlton. It's a long season but we're even a good chance to finish ahead of them on the ladder.

Just shows you what hubris and arrogance combined with a lack of foresight, good planning - and the cult of the individual - can do to an organisation.

Suffer in your jocks.

STUFF

Carlton.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
loris
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Sure did SP.............. don't know where the 'White' popped up from :oops: There is not even a White mentioned in the 7 columns of his article!!

Must remember to proof read my typing before I hit the submit button.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Must admit, my hatred of Carlton has waned a little over the years… they're just so pathetic that I can't muster any interest in disliking them compared to say - Essendon.

I am sure that if Carlton were ever a genuine threat again, they could shoot up the charts as "most despised"

Maybe Dragit, but history cuts deep. We wouldn't be around if one of our creditors had their way in the 1980s.

A Saints mate of mine recently saw Ian Collins running around the tan. He pulled pulled his window down and gave him a mouthful.

I think we owed them around $15K when they were the ONLY creditor to vote against the scheme of arrangement, which meant we would have been wound up.

I hate all the big clubs...Carlton, Essendon, Filth, Hawks and now the Cats..Crows, Eagles, Freo.

Couldn't care less about the Dees, Dogs, Norf etc...like us, underdogs all fighting over the remaining scraps.
Last edited by SaintPav on Tue 08 Apr 2014 7:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

As Mark Fine alluded to last night, your team might get well beaten by another, but your team may be much closer to a flag than the team that beat you.

I think this is the case with us and Carlton. They may well flog us this year, but they are probably further away at a proper shot at the flag than we are.

All good. Malthouse is also a sour old bastard who will go by the way of Pagan at Carlton. Coach killing club

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Sure did SP.............. don't know where the 'White' popped up from :oops: There is not even a White mentioned in the 7 columns of his article!!

Not at all.

Good

read.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

reminds me of the time i called you doris..... :wink:....did i tell you that the maid who looked after us on our last cruize was called loris.......very nice young woman....doubled her tip because of the name too.....
Last edited by stinger on Tue 08 Apr 2014 7:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

That's what happens when you put all your eggs into the Judd basket. They still haven't come to grips with the draft and salary cap and think they can buy their way to success.
One has to wonder why they recruited Dale Thomas, the guys best football was in 2010 (unfortunately) and it is never coming back.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
loris wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

reminds me of the time i called you doris..... :wink:
Aren't you sometimes referred to as Swinger?

:mrgreen:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Aren't you sometimes referred to as Swinger?

:mrgreen:
not on here....and certainly not within earshot of the missus..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:That's what happens when you put all your eggs into the Judd basket. They still haven't come to grips with the draft and salary cap and think they can buy their way to success.
One has to wonder why they recruited Dale Thomas, the guys best football was in 2010 (unfortunately) and it is never coming back.
the filth never get rid of anything of real value.....dawes is stuffed, the shaw brothers are bogan loose cannons and thomas is cooked...imho....

loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

reminds me of the time i called you doris..... :wink:....did i tell you that the maid who looked after us on our last cruize was called loris.......very nice young woman....doubled her tip because of the name too.....
That was me 'moonlighting' to get a bit of spare cash............... thanks for the tip stinger :wink:

Actually I get Doris, and Lois more often than not. Have given up correcting people over the years.

The Loris came about, because my parents were hoping for a boy this time when Mum was pregnant with me. And I was going to be called after Dad. Dad's name was Laurie and Mum was Doris. Out I popped a female. Dad wanted to name me Doreen.......... he was a C.J. Dennis fan. Mum thank goodness wouldn't agree to Doreen. Though I did get it as the middle name...yuk.

They combined the phonetics of Doris & Laurie and came up with Loris. Pity they didn't consult the dictionary before they named me Loris. All through my school years I had the nickname of 'Monkey'. An insensitive teacher alerted the class one day to what a Loris was............... a lemur.......... a type of monkey. Oh well I was born in the year of the monkey, so I guess it all slotted together nicely.

It was when I went to Italy many moons ago, that I found out that Loris is a common male name there.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
stinger wrote:

That was me 'moonlighting' to get a bit of spare cash............... thanks for the tip stinger :wink:

Actually I get Doris, and Lois more often than not. Have given up correcting people over the years.

The Loris came about, because my parents were hoping for a boy this time when Mum was pregnant with me. And I was going to be called after Dad. Dad's name was Laurie and Mum was Doris. Out I popped a female. Dad wanted to name me Doreen.......... he was a C.J. Dennis fan. Mum thank goodness wouldn't agree to Doreen. Though I did get it as the middle name...yuk.

They combined the phonetics of Doris & Laurie and came up with Loris. Pity they didn't consult the dictionary before they named me Loris. All through my school years I had the nickname of 'Monkey'. An insensitive teacher alerted the class one day to what a Loris was............... a lemur.......... a type of monkey. Oh well I was born in the year of the monkey, so I guess it all slotted together nicely.

It was when I went to Italy many moons ago, that I found out that Loris is a common male name there.
:D

ps...i forgot to mention she was filipino.. :wink:

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Didnt Malthouse say that carlton were at 11 o'clock on the premiership clock? I think they may be on canada time

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Your literary background betrayed you there Loris. Patrick Smith might think of himself as the Vivisector, but Patrick White wrote it..... :D

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Didnt Malthouse say that carlton were at 11 o'clock on the premiership clock? I think they may be on canada time
a.m.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Must remember to proof read my typing before I hit the submit button.[/quote]

reminds me of the time i called you doris..... :wink:....did i tell you that the maid who looked after us on our last cruize was called loris.......very nice young woman[color=#4000FF]....doubled her tip because of the name too.....[/quote]

So did you give her 2 shillings or a florin Stinger? :oops: