Honeymoon over, AR.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Honeymoon over, AR.

The honeymoon is well and truly over. Three disgraceful performances in the space of four weeks. Today has the potential to derail our entire season. At the very least, it will have smashed the confidence of our younger players. The next fortnight will be the true test of AR. I'd be surprised if we can bounce back from this. It was one of the most insipid performances in the history of our club, and that's saying something.

At least we should be able to purge ourselves of Jones and Ray. Unfortunately Geary and Gwilt are hurt and you don't wish ill on anyone, but when they miss the next few games we'll realise we're better off without them. Write the season off. Play the kids. Let the list cloggers play in the VFL.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Honeymoon over, AR.

He might resign.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
RODOS
Club Player

That's some fine supporting Winmar.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

WW settle what did u expect?
Last week could have should have stole it. Eod were still in a rebuild and not a top 8 team. We all knew that at season start.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
citywest

White Winmar wrote:The honeymoon is well and truly over. Three disgraceful performances in the space of four weeks. Today has the potential to derail our entire season. At the very least, it will have smashed the confidence of our younger players. The next fortnight will be the true test of AR. I'd be surprised if we can bounce back from this. It was one of the most insipid performances in the history of our club, and that's saying something.

At least we should be able to purge ourselves of Jones and Ray. Unfortunately Geary and Gwilt are hurt and you don't wish ill on anyone, but when they miss the next few games we'll realise we're better off without them. Write the season off. Play the kids. Let the list cloggers play in the VFL.
What did you expect Winmar?? You obviously must have been looking through Rose Coloured Glasses if you thought that 2014 was going to a successful season for us. We are re-building from the bottom up. It is going to take years before we even play finals again let alone Grand Finals. Please refer to my signature for further information.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You never expect that....

10 goals yes
15 goals at worst against top opposition

Never 25 goals.... That's a joke

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote: The next fortnight will be the true test of AR.
Yep,I'd say he has had plenty of time by then. I'd go a step further and say next week, if he can't turn water into wine by then I'd not only sack him,but execute him at a public display at Linton street

Bring back the Lockett era
citywest

BigMart wrote:You never expect that....

10 goals yes

Three questions for you BigMart.

1) How many players did we have with over 100 games experience in today?
2) How many players did we have with less than 25 games experience in today?
3) Were we playing the reigning premier?

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:You never expect that....

10 goals yes

Sack the team all weak useless hickley did it sack em all

Jeez guys time caught up with the young guys these things will happen

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

jonesy wrote:
Yep,I'd say he has had plenty of time by then. I'd go a step further and say next week, if he can't turn water into wine by then I'd not only sack him,but execute him at a public display at Linton street
Lol yep he's cooked sack him lol :roll:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

25 goal losses are totally unacceptable. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded. Nothing positive can be taken from a performance like that.

IMO of course.

Club Player

8856 we can hope this year is bottom. Think about our team and who we played in terms of experience and age. It's very hard to take. I am gutted but I can understand it. Hoping we can keep improving along the way copping a few true floggings... Young teams get flogged at times.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
Settle everyone. I'm not calling for his head. I just think the next two weeks will tell us a lot about our list and coach. Did anyone notice I wrote we should play our promising kids and leave out the list cloggers?

Let's look to the future. I don't care if we lose, but not the way we have against Adelaide, Brisbane and Hawthorn. Surely we're better than that. Thanks for your hysterical responses while accusing me of the same. I just think performances like today are unacceptable. The loss, statistically speaking, is one of the worst in our history. I just hope the coaches show strength and play for the future. Our present is fairly much stuffed.

BTW, when I say the honeymoon is over, that's all I mean. I have, or never will suggest AR's not the man for the job. I have repeatedly written on this forum that he is. It's just catastrophic losses like today's can really test the mettle of the club at every level. BTW Jonesy, if the next two weeks aren't a test of the coaches and players, then i suggest you know very little about football clubs in general. Thanks for the hysteria and sarcasm. Just what we need. Well done!

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Here here WW

Fortius Quo Fidelius
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
jonesy wrote:
Lol yep he's cooked sack him lol :roll:
Excellent insight, but totally expected. What's that saying again? Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit..........

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

You're thanking me for the hysteria.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

We all know where the list is at,apart from the fairytale dreamers. Are you one of them? Were you seduced by the three wins early and had grand visions of us making some miracle man recovering with a top 2-3 worst list in the league?

This rebuild will be a long slog. We drafted at least three good one's last year so that's a start, however look at the rest of them before that. Lots of scrappers with little talent. 2020 is the aim, I'd suggest we will be on the end of many more triple figure losses in the next two years, the list says it

So you're either patient,or you throw hissy fits every second weekend for the next 2-3 years demanding a lazaraus type recovery

Bring back the Lockett era
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lenny Hayes 280, Nick Riewoldt 260, Sean Dempster 180, Adam Schnieder 190?, Jack Steven80, Leigh Montagna 200, Farren Ray 200?, CJ 120, Gwilt 110, Savage 50, Geary (inj) 100.

Just guessing the game amounts..... Half the team have plenty of experience.... The other half supposedly talent

We were not like the expansion teams in their formative years.... Nor were we fitzroy 1996...

Collingwood so backline last night
Langdon, Frost, Keefe, Williams, Adams.... And Lumumber
Maybe they should have been pathetic too... They have an excuse

It was a woeful effort.... Please don't excuse or allow it.... Competitiveness and effort isn't distinguished by age

saintbob
SS Life Member

Some on here need to get a grip!!!

Today we played the reigning premiers at the top of their game, if anyone really thought we'd get within 80pts of them then you've got no idea about where we are really at!!

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Been a long time since I've drunk so much at the football as today
Been a long time since I've felt like we're the Irish of the afl
Been here before, Jesus will get us there , I'm sure
I think we all expected there'd be days like these
Feel for Acres and Weller
Welcome to St Kilda

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:You're thanking me for the hysteria.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

We all know where the list is at,apart from the fairytale dreamers. Are you one of them? Were you seduced by the three wins early and had grand visions of us making some miracle man recovering with a top 2-3 worst list in the league?

This rebuild will be a long slog. We drafted at least three good one's last year so that's a start, however look at the rest of them before that. Lots of scrappers with little talent. 2020 is the aim, I'd suggest we will be on the end of many more triple figure losses in the next two years, the list says it

So you're either patient,or you throw hissy fits every second weekend for the next 2-3 years demanding a lazaraus type recovery
I really don't know what you're on about. My expectations for this year were pretty low. I posted elsewhere that I thought we'd finish twelfth at best, but probably fourteenth to sixteenth in reality. All I'm saying is that a 145 point loss on top of two other shockers will test the coach and players. Pretty controversial. Everyone on here, me included is behind AR, it seems, but today's effort will have everyone going down to the mirror factory, having a good, long, hard look at themselves.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If we play the kids we will end up like melbourne with shell shocked confidence sapped losers. You need to protect them not slaughter them.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:Here here WW
If you're going to be a smartarse, ShanghaiSaint, it is advisable that you can spell, or get your terms right. I believe the correct term is, "hear, hear". Must try harder.

saint6709
Club Player

gringo wrote:If we play the kids we will end up like melbourne with shell shocked confidence sapped losers. You need to protect them not slaughter them.
Agree - problem is - who can come back?. - we have gilbert, hickey &??injured -so we have fisher , Milera,lee, siposs ( even though his form is down ) -anyone else ??? savage has to go and the young guys need rotating.

sasaint
Club Player

gringo wrote:If we play the kids we will end up like Melbourne with shell shocked confidence sapped losers. You need to protect them not slaughter them.
+1

Patience young grasshopper
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:8856 we can hope this year is bottom. Think about our team and who we played in terms of experience and age. It's very hard to take. I am gutted but I can understand it. Hoping we can keep improving along the way copping a few true floggings... Young teams get flogged at times.

Trouble is our middle-aged players. Almost Nothing - only 6 players where there should be 16 and at least 2 of those 6 are no good.

Senior citizens
Lenny, Roo, Montagna, Schneider, Dempster, Gwilt, Ray, Jones then

Core - peak age players (this is our real weakness)
Geary, Delaney, Savage, Simpkin, Steven, Stanley.

Kids

the rest