Some Targets

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Some Targets

I think Carlisle is ripe for the picking

Sam Reid will surely get squeezed?

Toby Green will get kicked out

Any Gold Coasters they can't afford... Anymore? Or Giants? Patton?

Josh Jenkins?

What could we get for
Armitage (FRP?)
Ross?
Gilbert?
Stanley?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some Targets

BigMart wrote:Sam Reid will surely get squeezed?
I haven't seen the Swans this year, but a mate told me Reid was playing or was going to play CHB? Maybe there's a spot for him there.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle would cost a lot and big risk IMO. He could be a star. A bit of Brian Lake about him. But also seems like a dumb footballer capable of massive stuff ups. Very much a confidence player. And a sook. Considering he'd cost a top 10 pick I'd prefer to go into the draft.

I like Greene. Wins his own footy but has his deficiencies. Poor by foot and seems to find trouble off field. I'd be more open to getting him over Carlisle as he'd cost cheaper and not a lot of risk of him not becoming a decent footy player.

I'd take a look at Jon Butcher from Port. He's a fringe player there but has huge potential. Would probably cost a bit. A player like Stanley would need to be part of the trade.

I think we need Armo. His big body around the stoppages has been missed. Not sure we should part with him. Ross is another we need...for depth at the very least. Gilbert not worth enough to bother floating him in the trade period.

PJ
SS Life Member

Butcher would fit in well....complete hack at kicking.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I think Carlisle is ripe for the picking

Josh Jenkins?

What could we get for
Armitage (FRP?)
Ross?
Gilbert?
Stanley?
We should def look at Reid, and Green.

We should also look at other GWS, GC fringe players not getting game time.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We wont even look at anyone over 23 until 2016.

So I reckon if we target someone they will be 23 or under..

And a massive NO for Greene for me.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That's a narrow view Con

It's not only kids that can play...

Carlisle
I would give them nothing for him... At best Seb Ross and a 37 perhaps... Either that or a pre season selection for nothing
He hates it there, you can tell.

We need to rebuild the list using EVERY avenue.

The Swans had only half a dozen players drafted by traditional means last night.

If you narrow your focus to one method... You miss out on good player in your jumper

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I'd give pick 1 & 20 for Jacksh, Treloar and a pick around 10 in return. Assuming we finish on the bottom. Or target Shiel, Tomlinson, Corr or Patton. Plenty of quality to be squeezed from that list, Greene would not be on my radar no way.

Risky, as Wright, Durdin or McCartin could be anything but all three are not without their health issues. If we got pick 10 pr so, then it could be Lever or Goddard anyway who could be anything.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Doubt we're going to finish last with those three wins early saving us. Brisbane right now if they were a horse they'd be shot. They look morals for pick 1

Bring back the Lockett era
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

jonesy wrote:Doubt we're going to finish last with those three wins early saving us. Brisbane right now if they were a horse they'd be shot. They look morals for pick 1
Half of the Lions have the flu, they will win a few at home. I don't think they are guaranteed last, although, its likely

Strength through Loyalty
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I would give nothing for an out of contract player to come via the PSD, big bucks to a Patton or Treloar??? Are they in contract?
I would take pick 2 and 20 odd not swap or move them and see if we can snag a free agent, if nothing this year, definitely next.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

after what was on offer today at Sandy we desperately need a best in the country key forward.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Maverick, not many stars come through the pre season draft, and if we bent a team over we'd never get a decent trade again. We wouldn't get a Treloar through the PSD.

Were Treloar and Shiel Stingrays boys?

I'd love to keep all our picks, keep all our players, and get a bunch of guns into our team for nothing, but that's not reality.

Strength through Loyalty
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:That's a narrow view Con

It's not only kids that can play...

Carlisle
I would give them nothing for him... At best Seb Ross and a 37 perhaps... Either that or a pre season selection for nothing
He hates it there, you can tell.

We need to rebuild the list using EVERY avenue.

The Swans had only half a dozen players drafted by traditional means last night.

If you narrow your focus to one method... You miss out on good player in your jumper
Maybe narrow but Im just going on what Pelchen has pretty much already said.

There are plenty of players 23 and under we can target anyway - and that includes Carlisle and most others named on here.

You really think the EFC would take pick 37 and Seb Ross for Carlisle? You have to be kidding me.

Re: Patton - I know hes a big lump of a kid - but can he actually play?

I am not being narrow - but if we are target someone can we make sure they are an absolute gun and not crap on about guys who aint that flash anyway.

Ive already said Id love Treloar and that we should be looking far and wide to pick someone up with later picks as well.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jaksche would be handy otherwise Frost and Stewart will never be getting games and Aiden Corr- he has a Saints link with cathal or what ever his name is.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Con

Essendon might not have a choice.... If he walks ala Ball they have no whip?!

Bargains are found from players who want out... Not from those who you want, that's when you get bent.

Trade him for something... Or risk losing him for zilch.... That's the negotiation.

We were not happy losing pick 24 (2yrs Dev) for pick 43... But had NO choice.

Pre Season picks, FA's, State Leagues, Draft, Rookie Draft, Trading

Use ALL avenues to rebuild

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Fair calls BM.
I think we might be able to pick off a few unhappy campers.... EFC and are the GWS obvious candidates.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Fair calls BM.
I think we might be able to pick off a few unhappy campers.... EFC and GWS are the obvious candidates.

saintjake
Club Player

St Ick wrote: Were Treloar and Shiel Stingrays boys?

Shiel is from down on the peninsula, played his early juniors for edithvale/aspendale

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Josh Jenkins?

What could we get for
Armitage (FRP?)
Ross?
Gilbert?
Stanley?
Agree with the ideas about apart from Josh Jenkins. He will stay and get games because he is probably ahead of Podsiadly now.

Jake Carlisle is a fantastic CHB and I have no idea why he isn't being played there. Just because another player can slot in there does not mean that the better, more talented of the two then has to go forward. Further to this, am I the only person that thinks that Hurley is a better forward?

Quality players will leave the Swans in search of more dollars considering the potential Swans salary cap problems.

Toby Greene has ordinary disposal although gets it heaps. Worth it?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

The Redeemer wrote:

Josh Jenkins?

What could we get for
Armitage (FRP?)
Ross?
Gilbert?
Stanley?
Agree with the ideas about apart from Josh Jenkins. He will stay and get games because he is probably ahead of Podsiadly now.

Jake Carlisle is a fantastic CHB and I have no idea why he isn't being played there. Just because another player can slot in there does not mean that the better, more talented of the two then has to go forward. Further to this, am I the only person that thinks that Hurley is a better forward?

Quality players will leave the Swans in search of more dollars considering the potential Swans salary cap problems.

Toby Greene has ordinary disposal although gets it heaps. Worth it?
Anthony Miles as in the same category as Greene, its a definite no, if he was a star at every facet of the game, sure, but due to off field - no way we would look at him.

Strength through Loyalty
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

No to any Essendope player for obvious reasons.

I think Reid is the obvious KPP, offer him coin and the CHF position and he will come home. Do we really want to give away a first rounder for him though when we desperately need midfield talent?

My motto in the modern game is draft as many young gun midfielders as you can. You can't have enough of them. Show me a side who hasn't been in contention because they are top heavy with midfielders?. We need to somehow find three more quality mids, at least. Key position players can be tempted later on when you can offer success showing your wealth of midfield talent. Drafting them is a huge risk unless they are an out and out freak,and they are very few and far between going on the last decade as evidence.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:My motto in the modern game is draft as many young gun midfielders as you can. You can't have enough of them. Show me a side who hasn't been in contention because they are top heavy with midfielders?
Western Bulldogs 2004 to 2010? Never going all the way because they lacked key position talent.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
jonesy wrote:My motto in the modern game is draft as many young gun midfielders as you can. You can't have enough of them. Show me a side who hasn't been in contention because they are top heavy with midfielders?
Western Bulldogs 2004 to 2010? Never going all the way because they lacked key position talent.
Yeah they had zilch,but I don't think they had an overload of gun midfielders either. Just lots of those ok half back/half forward run and carry types. Having said all this, they were still top 4 on several occasions in this era,and in 'contention' a lot .

maverick
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Maverick, not many stars come through the pre season draft, and if we bent a team over we'd never get a decent trade again. We wouldn't get a Treloar through the PSD.

Were Treloar and Shiel Stingrays boys?

I'd love to keep all our picks, keep all our players, and get a bunch of guns into our team for nothing, but that's not reality.
Probably correct regarding stars, but we do need to use it and other means as BM suggests.
Eli and Maverick are great examples of using the rookie draft as well.

If not a Patton at PSD, maybe a player not getting game time like a Treloar or Jaksch

Want to keep pick 2 and hope that Goddard makes it through.

Need a top DP KPP desperately, not a ruck type though….