Our looming debt problem: thinking outside the square.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Our looming debt problem: thinking outside the square.

In another thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85837#p1464673 Bluthy and Chook posted...
Bluthy wrote:
chook23 wrote:talk that our current debt could blow out by a further 4 million this year to approx. 10 million!!

very very concerning if true.
We will be going through some really tough times over the next few years with low crowds costing us money...

We have to be ambitious and think outside the square as much as possible before we rise again.
Long term 'outside the square' thinking, and IMHO the ultimate and game changing solution is The Junction. However, whether that happens or not is a separate debate, and regardless, it isn't an immediate possibility.

- We are rebuilding, not challenging just yet, so we can afford to try a few things, and if it costs us a few wins, then it doesn't matter.
- Unlike Australia, our club it seems could be threatened with a real debt problem.
- Low-drawing Dockands games see us actually forking out big money to play a home game. (As posted several times before, 26,000 crowd sees us paying out ~$73,000. :x )

Soooooooo, channelling my inner Citywest... :wink:

here it comes...

The Hillbillies have offered the Poodles $750,000 per game to play some of their home matches down there.
We should look to take up that offer for several of our selected home games.

Preferably early in the season when the weather is better and supporters more enthusiastic/haven't jumped off the bandwagon.
Preferably on a Saturday arvo', so people aren't coming home too late.

There, I said it.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
citywest

Re: Our looming debt problem: thinking outside the square.

Not even I would come up with a dumb arse idea like playing at the cattery. :shock: :D Two games in NZ per year will fix our debt woes. One in Wellington and one in Auckland/Christchurch, however they must be against non Victorian teams which excludes Brisbane and Sydney.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

move to the G no more home games at Jihad. would that help us?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:move to the G no more home games at Jihad. would that help us?
Correct. But the AFL won't allow it.

Easiest solution is for a buyout of Etihad.

Come on Gilligan, make it happen!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Not the craziest idea I've heard at all DAve. Could we schedule our home game with Geelong there and get a damn good profit. I know it takes away our home advantage and its not ideal for members but it can be a nice outing to the seaside. We need to make some sacrifices for the good of the club over the next few years. Do some estimation of numbers and profit and leak to the media. Is Visy Park on the table at all? Its size suits us perfectly for the low drawing games. Look at another game in NZ or a Tassie or NT or ACT game. Or why not a game out in the bush somewhere, Bendigo or Ballarat, when we play GWS if the AFL throws in a wad of cash to show it values the rural demographic? Bulldogs should do the same. We need to start getting some leverage with Etihad who have us over a barrel. They will only budge when it becomes serious about them losing games and Spotless won't be reaping in its huge profits on their cardboard food.

wally
Club Player

I was watching the Marngrook footy show I think the week before last and Kevin Bartlett was on and he got pretty
vocal about the inequality of the stadium deal to us and bulldogs.He pointed out the money made on one NZ game
more than all of Etihad(same as I read on here),mentioned it a couple of times.
I would have thought with the AFL talking about equalisation this is one way to level out abit instead of handouts.
I agree that maybe a couple of games at Optus oval would help,for a lot of teams.

wally
Club Player

I forgot to ask....Does this stadium deal get any airplay in Melb.?
Is it just "your problem",stiff s##t.?

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Port Adelaide just held a general meeting in Asia a widening market in anything australian ,why we don't start looking over there for sponsors and opportunity is beyond me ,it is only going to become bigger!

PADDLEPOP1000
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

That's about as "think outside of the box" as rattling tins for loose coins.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Bluthy wrote:Spotless won't be reaping in its huge profits on their cardboard food.

Cardboard - OF COURSE - I knew it was something familiar the last time I tried eating something there......cardboard, kicking myself that I didn't guess what it was...........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

7 dollar co payment for every time we visit the Saints at a football match.

You are garbage - Enough said
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:move to the G no more home games at Jihad. would that help us?

Club needs to take legal action on this. We are getting royally screwed.

Would love to see the day when the wrecking ball makes contact with the world's fugliest stadium.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Would love to see the day when the wrecking ball makes contact with the world's fugliest stadium.
And then what?

Will Kardinia Park replace Etihad?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Its a great stadium IMO. fantastic to watch footy at. Apart from the money returns of which we get nearly 3 million from the AFL because they are poor, what is wrong with the stadium.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
- Unlike Australia, our club it seems could be threatened with a real debt problem.
Yeah, right.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:7 dollar co payment for every time we visit the Saints at a football match.
There's a lot of truth in your joke.

The AFL will have to offer compensation/aid to the strugglers.

It's created all these concessions without seeming to think through the pervere impacts they will have on the competition, especially the have nots.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:7 dollar co payment for every time we visit the Saints at a football match.

It's created all these concessions without seeming to think through the pervere impacts on the erst of the competition.

We get close to 3 million a year compensation.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
And then what?

Will Kardinia Park replace Etihad?
If that meant that we were no longer going to get screwed over like we currently are, then it would probably suffice.
plugger66 wrote:Its a great stadium IMO. fantastic to watch footy at. Apart from the money returns of which we get nearly 3 million from the AFL because they are poor, what is wrong with the stadium.
IMO, it sucks donkey doodle. Was never a fan of it. One of the worst stadium designs EVER. The flat roof instead of a dome is testament to that. It's basically a shed with a footy field inside it. Even with the roof open, you don't get any sunlight exposure, unless of course you are on the actual playing surface. Speaking of the playing surface, some of that is even deprived of sunlight. Also, no designated areas for standing room. Only good thing about it is that it's easy to access.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Its a great stadium IMO. fantastic to watch footy at. Apart from the money returns of which we get nearly 3 million from the AFL because they are poor, what is wrong with the stadium.
I'm with P.66.

Would have to be the best stadium to watch football. I'm from the old school and grew up in the outer of Junction Oval and Moorabin, and I know where I'd rather watch football.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

It's created all these concessions without seeming to think through the pervere impacts on the erst of the competition.

It won't be enough.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

It won't be enough.

But thats because we cant get members or sponsorship. I havent got the figures but if we had every home game at the G this year im pretty sure the returns would also be poor because no one is going to watch us play. Certainly not as bad as at Etihad but we wouldnt get 3 million off the AFL either. Anyway the AFL will continue to look after certain clubs unless the new CEO and the AFL decide to let clubs fold. Im doubting that will happen before the next TV rights so they will make sure we survive.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

It won't be enough.

But thats because we cant get members or sponsorship. I havent got the figures but if we had every home game at the G this year im pretty sure the returns would also be poor because no one is going to watch us play. Certainly not as bad as at Etihad but we wouldnt get 3 million off the AFL either. Anyway the AFL will continue to look after certain clubs unless the new CEO and the AFL decide to let clubs fold. Im doubting that will happen before the next TV rights so they will make sure we survive.
Plugger. The AFL want to buy out Etihad early. The sticking point is price.

It's better to pump millions into the expansion clubs I guess.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

It won't be enough.

Plugger. The AFL want to buy out Etihad early. The sticking point is price.

It's better to pump millions into the expansion clubs I guess.

I know that SP. They have the figures in front of them so they would know which is better. The closer it gets the quicker the price will fall otherwise the owners get $1 or some silly figure.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

It won't be enough.

I was also referring to compensation for the concessions given to the expansion teams.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Yeah, right.

that's private debt (yours and mine mortgage and credit card's) not government debt

government debt is this

edit the graph is a little old and it's a bit bigger than that now and probably in front of lux now but still behind switzerland
Last edited by ausfatcat on Tue 27 May 2014 5:46pm, edited 1 time in total.