Line in the sand (in a small way)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainter27
Club Player

Line in the sand (in a small way)

Having watched the Saints extensively for over 20 years as I am sure most of you have,
this game at Geelong needs to be some kind of statement. I completely agree that a trip
to Geelong has become a complete non-issue for us in terms of thinking about winning.
As supporters knowing our situation we are essentially conditioned for a failure, and as much as it
is completely logical, it would be shocking to think the players think the same. As supporters,
I am sure many of us have fantasized about playing just 1 game for our club, and what we
would do. While it is a bit of cliche', I find it alarming to think that the players may have
the same malaise that we may have as supporters. We love St Kilda, and will always be
supportive, and thus I would find it utterly infuriating if the players would go into a game
not believing that if they have a genuine dip they can win the game. That is why this should
be a target game for us this year with what we have. Lets get the best numbers in critical areas
we can expect with our playing group. Lets see where it takes us, I know I love nothing better than
a whole team cracking in no matter the result. Richo should put it on them THIS WEEK to draw a
line in the sand about what we stand for. Not wait for WCE at home next weekend- where most
will expect a big showing.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Line in the sand (in a small way)

Geelong are ripe for the picking. They've looked very vulnerable in the past few weeks. It's an interesting question to pose on whether our players have the belief. Judging on that they have already won three games earlier in the season, I would think there would be some sense of belief before every game because they at least know how it feels to win a game. But can they sustain that belief throughout the match? It really is a battle of attrition. Early on in the game you're with a fighting chance. A few lapses later, you're in the rears by five or six goals. In order to beat Geelong, our team would have to be at its very best. That and also hope Geelong's confidence is still down. Not impossible, but it's a very tall order.

In terms of making a statement, a win is the ultimate. Personally, I'd be pleased if we were to give them a run for their money and get within five goals at the end. If we were to only lose by a few goals, the confidence would be reset to one which hasn't been terribly high for a while, that would have them going right at WCE with a full head of steam. I have a good feeling about Round 14.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

It would help if we put a few older players back in. Armo and gwilt would probably help the cause.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Would be nice if we can make it a genuine contest for at least 3 quarters… we've been going with sides for a half the past few weeks, such is the way with really inexperienced teams I guess.

The Cats will be looking for an easy win after a smashing, then a really close call against the blues.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

GEELONG $1.01 v ST KILDA $16.00

I don't think the bookies believe in "line in the sand". The prefer to look at reality. The young players run out of juice after 2 quarters, will be chasing a lot of cat tail on the big Kardinia park ground, have a shallow midfield (ARmo will be seriously underdone), don't have the kicking power to get it out of our back 50, rely on Roo to get goals, have a ruckman just starting to learn his trade, have few players who are experienced enough to be able to change momentum, don't know how to keep the ball, most players still trying to adjust to the pace of AFL, don't have many talls etc. If we can keep it to 60 points I would be very happy.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:GEELONG $1.01 v ST KILDA $16.00

I don't think the bookies believe in "line in the sand". The prefer to look at reality. The young players run out of juice after 2 quarters, will be chasing a lot of cat tail on the big Kardinia park ground, have a shallow midfield (ARmo will be seriously underdone), don't have the kicking power to get it out of our back 50, rely on Roo to get goals, have a ruckman just starting to learn his trade, have few players who are experienced enough to be able to change momentum, don't know how to keep the ball, most players still trying to adjust to the pace of AFL, don't have many talls etc. If we can keep it to 60 points I would be very happy.
10 goal loss would be great. Our chance of a win, or realistically a close loss, is against Richmond. Then again, they'll probably fire up against us and smash us lol!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Bluthy wrote:GEELONG $1.01 v ST KILDA $16.00

10 goal loss would be great. Our chance of a win, or realistically a close loss, is against Richmond. Then again, they'll probably fire up against us and smash us lol!
No, we're in for a good show against WCE. That game I'd be willing to put a wager on.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Not if there is an umpire on the park we're not Sainternist - when West Coast chose their logo, they got the bird wrong - they should be called the 'Duckers".

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Can we stop talking about wins against top 4 sides. I'm pretty certain there is a cyberlaw against wasting bandwidth.

Look in all seriousness if it happens I will buy everyone a beer, and probably buy myself 10 and run nude down the Nepean highway.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Tue 10 Jun 2014 10:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

FQF
SS Life Member

No line in the sand here, will be the same as previous weeks.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Not if there is an umpire on the park we're not Sainternist - when West Coast chose their logo, they got the bird wrong - they should be called the 'Duckers".
Hahaha in that case they should probably relocate to Fremantle. Duckers or Eagles, they are a team of lame ducks this season. Can't see how there isn't even a ghost of chance against them.

sainter27
Club Player

I am a little alarmed at the the number of people who have missed my point. But the
conditioning thing seems to be in full view. As I said we need to (realistically) be a
little demanding.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

sainter27 wrote:I am a little alarmed at the the number of people who have missed my point. But the conditioning thing seems to be in full view. As I said we need to (realistically) be a little demanding.
What you don't think they were trying when playing the league leader on their home patch in front of a rabid crowd and fought back to get to close to half time at level pegging? This idea that they just need to "try harder" is a completely naïve romantic notion. The AFL is a totally professional environment. Sport science has had years to build these top teams into powerful units. Our young players just can't physically compete over 4 quarters and there is only so much the oldies can do with battle weary legs. It will be a slow, but hopefully steady, evolution over the next couple of years to get the tanks and experience to be able to compete over the whole game. If you keep calling for these Braveheart moments ("This is our time!") to put it all on the line to gain some sort of false pride, you're going to be constantly disappointed.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see us do something creditable
but my question is
What should we use to make this line in the sand ?

An appendage or something attached to an appendage !
I favour the former .

In red white and black from 73
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: I'm pretty certain there is a cyberlaw against wasting bandwidth.
Yes. I'll send you a cake with a file in it.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintjake
Club Player

We missed our line in the sand moment.
After Sidebottom killed Weller, there was a little bit of push and shove, but I really would of like to see the leaders take charge and smash Sidebottom every time he got the ball.

Im not saying this in a savage way, it was a brain fade by Sidebottom and I think he is quite a fair player.
But it just would've been nice to see the older boys showing some real fight and unity.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Hawkins is the big worry this week, if we can keep him to say 5 goals, then the margin maybe reasonable.
Again, all we want to see is an effort, last week, we were ok for parts of the game, and we fought the game out in the last quarter.
Personally I would like to see some signs that when we get the ball at half back, that there are St.Kilda players ahead of them to kick the ball to.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:If you keep calling for these Braveheart moments ("This is our time!") to put it all on the line to gain some sort of false pride, you're going to be constantly disappointed.
Agree with that. You lose credibility pretty quickly as a leader if you're constantly calling for your guys to go over the top only for them to be cut down by machine guns.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Geelong are ripe for the picking. .
see this to me is a danger statement .... Geelong have not looked as dominant as they have in the past but even going at half pace at the moment they would beat us easily ... this game is more a line in the sand moment for Geelong they will see this as a chance to get a percentage boost to maybe get them a home final later in the year ... they will go for the kill mark my words this could very well be worse than the hawthorn match ...
but its ok its all part of the rebuild our players will learn lots from seeing how Geelong dismantle us and learn a bit about themselves on how they cope/adapt to getting dismantled ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
loris
Saintsational Legend

I have the feeling 'in my waters' that our surprize win will be against the Kangaroos.......................... I have never understood what the saying 'feeling in my waters' means or relates to, just thought I'd throw it in folks!!!!!

We do play the 'shinboners' again this season don't we????

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Geelong are ripe for the picking. .
see this to me is a danger statement .... Geelong have not looked as dominant as they have in the past but even going at half pace at the moment they would beat us easily ... this game is more a line in the sand moment for Geelong they will see this as a chance to get a percentage boost to maybe get them a home final later in the year ... they will go for the kill mark my words this could very well be worse than the hawthorn match ...
but its ok its all part of the rebuild our players will learn lots from seeing how Geelong dismantle us and learn a bit about themselves on how they cope/adapt to getting dismantled ...
A foregone conclusion, eh? Maybe the boys can have a little snort of whiskey before the game is in order for a little "Dutch courage", if it's going to be that ugly.

By the way, I didn't say we'd beat Geelong. I just reckon we could pull together a respectable performance for a confidence boost against WCE.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately I think even if we just wanted an old fashioned fight we would also lose that pretty handsomely .

They probably have a few old warriors who don't mind a scrap.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Don't expect anything different from what we have been serving up in recent weeks. Geelong are a well balanced team who rise to the occasion when needed- in contrast, we have two aging stars dragging the team along, and as soon as they get tired, it gets ugly on the scoreboard.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I still think we can sneak a win against either the Tiges or WCE.

Wed need a day when were 'on' and they were 'off' - but odds of that seem quite plausible. Both those sides aren't 'on' very often so far this year....

Blues are also prone to shockers - so youd think 1 from those 3 in the next 4 weeks could be a win to us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I still think we can sneak a win against either the Tiges or WCE.

Wed need a day when were 'on' and they were 'off' - but odds of that seem quite plausible. Both those sides aren't 'on' very often so far this year....

Blues are also prone to shockers - so youd think 1 from those 3 in the next 4 weeks could be a win to us.

The problem with that is we havent been on for about 6 games. All those 3 have been on more than that. To me it would be a shock winning any of them. All 3 would be about $1.30 to our $4.00 at the moment. I will think we can beat geelong before the bounce this week but at the moment i think a 70 point loss is about the best we can do.