Jack Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainters85
Club Player

Jack Billings

What are everyone's thoughts on him so far? I know its pretty early and it's his first season but imo he hasn't look promising for a "no.3 pick" I'm sure he'll be a good player in the future but look at Christian Salem and Marcus Bontempelli who is a star..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Billings

Thought he was again good today. Done as much if not more than you would expect. Think is very promising. Nearly a certain star. Last years draft has the potential to be as good as Ball, Judd and Hodge draft.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Amazing. Seriously amazing. :roll:

Saintsational Legend

Salem is all over the place consistency wise, i'm not sure where he's at yet.

It's early days for all of them at the moment, Bontempelli looks in good form right now

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

He's been very good this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the best player taken in last years draft. Knows where to find the footy and very good footy IQ.

FYI
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=S&fid2=S

oldie60
Club Player

I think the two players mentioned probably have a bit more experience around them and also appear a bit more physically bigger than our Jack. I think he shows glimpses of class which like all younger players improves with strengthening their bodies. Playing 18's and then playing against men of all different sizes tends to take its toll after a while so you just need to give them that initial period and then rest if need be. I reckon he'll be good just needs to mature physically.Keep in mind to its a big ask when we are getting smashed every week. Luke Ball was a number three and took a bit of time due to injury and pace.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Time will tell but I would still prefer Aish, KK and Bontempelli before Billings. Meant to be an elite kick havent seen much evidence of that today....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am happy with him. Good player. Runs to the right spots. Makes good decisions. Can kick (usually).
So already puts him in front of most on our list and hes still only 19.

Kade Kolodjashnij might be the one that got away but realistically all 6 top 6 picks from last year look pretty darn good to me. Id be happy with any of them.

I'm far more worried about this years draft. Looks a bit thinner. We need to get it right...
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 06 Jul 2014 8:11pm, edited 5 times in total.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

After watching him again today, the jury is definitely out on at the moment for a No. 3 draft pick. His kicking is woeful for a start and last week where I watched him closely, he ran around in circles and without any pace.

To give him his dues, it's early days yet and some more weight and body strength is very much needed. I would like to see a high pick such as him, to be showing a lot more development potential.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

you all are f****** losers that demand instant satisfaction from a 19 year old.

sheesh

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

He's still only 18...and was in out best 5 players today.
Last edited by Old Mate on Sun 06 Jul 2014 8:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

sainters85
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:you all are f****** losers that demand instant satisfaction from a 19 year old.

sheesh
Not demanding satisfaction but just comparing with the other draftees, lower pick but seem to be better than him, unfortunately

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

We needed an elite midfielder he will never be that!

We needed outside & break away speed he wont provide that.

He will be a good forward however, similiar to Nathan Brown but not the midfielder the Saints hoped he would be....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:you all are f****** losers that demand instant satisfaction from a 19 year old.

sheesh
Depends if you compare to Bonti KK and others or expectations of a 19 year old in general is the discussion.

I'd give him a 7 out of 10. Think he'll be a gun in 2016.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
felix
Club Player

He is still a boy holding his own in the big league. Future captain,

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sainters85 wrote:

sheesh
Not demanding satisfaction but just comparing with the other draftees, lower pick but seem to be better than him, unfortunately

Boyd must be a real bust then and WO how can you say he wont be a mid. He certainly looks like he will be the perfect outside mid for us. Going much better than Joey did in his first 3 years and probably better than Lenny is his first. I cant believe some of the stuff I am reading. he is going fantastic considering how poor the side is going.

spot on
Club Player

I think his been really good. It's not easy playing in our forward line this year. He has missed plenty of goals that I think when he gets fitter he will be able to kick. The kid still looks 14 years old. Can't expect too much just yet

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

So he turns it over badly twice, maybe three? today, once on the wrong foot and kicks 1.2
So all of a sudden he is a bad kick and his 25 touches at 100% including 3.0 is forgotten by some.
I'm very happy with a player who can kick a goal a game and average over 15 touches as a fwd-mid in his first year.
Even if he remained a fwd-mid forever once he developes those numbers will be two goals a game and 20 plus touches on average a game.
Times that by 200-300
We've done well

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The only thing wrong with his game today was his kicking. Problem is it was on that basis that we drafted him. We NEED elite kicks. I'm not too worried as long as he keeps finding the pill. Plenty of others were far worse. I reckon as he gets more mature and more confidence his kicking will come to the fore. I keep telling myself that anyway....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

sainters85 wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on him so far? I know its pretty early and it's his first season but imo he hasn't look promising for a "no.3 pick" I'm sure he'll be a good player in the future but look at Christian Salem and Marcus Bontempelli who is a star..
Did you actually watch his game today?

In a very poor team he did all the right things. Ran to right spots at the right time. Took a good mark. The only ting that spoilt his game today was his kicking was not as good as it normally is. So we know that is not an ongoing problem.

HF is a hard place to play. When your team is getting thumped it is a bad position to be playing. As it is he gained 20 disposals. Joey was midfield and only got 13.

Kid oozes class.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I normally don't take the bait, but are some of you clowns for real. He won a nomination 2 weeks ago kicking at 100%. Yes 100% for you arse clowns having a dig at his kicking. So he kicked a few points today. Lets trade him. I haven't even seen the game today, but I bet he was in the best again as a 19 year old. :roll: :roll:

Saintsational Legend

Quite possibly - the LEAST of our concerns Id reckon.
One of our few +ves for the season.

oldie60
Club Player

If he's creating shots at goal everything else will fall into place as he develops physically.There must be times during the game when his legs feel like lead weights which is why his kicking tends to fall away.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Average speed

Excellent football smarts, great mark for size. Good with ball in hands. Won't be best player in league, but he will be in the top 30

Bring back the Lockett era
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:After watching him again today, the jury is definitely out on at the moment for a No. 3 draft pick. His kicking is woeful for a start and last week where I watched him closely, he ran around in circles and without any pace.

To give him his dues, it's early days yet and some more weight and body strength is very much needed. I would like to see a high pick such as him, to be showing a lot more development potential.

Is this a joke? His kicking is woeful?

He nearly the best kick in our team already. Look at the weight in the ball when he delivers 50m into the forward line, amazing.

This post is really concerning.