Delistings 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Delistings 2015

We have now most likely sewn up pick no 1 in the next draft and the time will soon be here to consider delistings.

Shenton, Templeton, Weller and Minchington all probably deserve to be promoted to the senior list, and if we want, say 4 or 5 picks in the national draft the we would need to delist around 8 - 10 players.

So who would they be?

Some popular considerations could be...

Hayes (Retired?)
TDL
Jones
Maister
Milera
Gwilt
Schneider (Retired?)
Fisher (Retired?)
Armitage (Traded?)

Any others potentially on the block??

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: Delistings 2015

Dunny, Simpkin

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We will be hard pressed to delist more than 6 players.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Dunny, Simpkin

Simpkin and Siposs both have contracts so i think they will be safe. I certainly wouldnt promote all 4 rookies. Apart from Templeton and maybe Weller the other 2 seem honest triers but we have to many of those as it is. I would promote Weller and keep Templeton as a rookie if they do promote Shenton but if they delist Shenton and Minchington I ould promote both Templeton and Weller. What im trying to say is I would only promote 2 players. I made a list the other day and at least 14 players could easily be delisted so we shouldnt have many issues in getting rid of 8 or 10.

lloyd21
Club Player

After watching today the VFL really think clean out of unskilled players has to happen now.
Would like to see done too.

Shenton upgrade 1 year contract
Weller upgrade 1 year contract.

Gone.

Hayes (Retired?)
TDL
Jones
Maister
Milera
Gwilt
Schneider (Retired?)
Dunell
Minchington
Simpkin

Any others potentially on the block? Ross & Stanley (on trade table)

Need a bucket load of quick skilful players .
Last edited by lloyd21 on Sun 13 Jul 2014 7:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Simpkin and Siposs both have contracts so i think they will be safe. I certainly wouldnt promote all 4 rookies. Apart from Templeton and maybe Weller the other 2 seem honest triers but we have to many of those as it is. I would promote Weller and keep Templeton as a rookie if they do promote Shenton but if they delist Shenton and Minchington I ould promote both Templeton and Weller. What im trying to say is I would only promote 2 players. I made a list the other day and at least 14 players could easily be delisted so we shouldnt have many issues in getting rid of 8 or 10.
So who are the 14 who could "easily be delisted" ??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So who are the 14 who could "easily be delisted" ??

Sorry should have said delisted or retired. They are the following

Gwilt
Ray
Dunell
TDL
Siposs
Simpkin
Hayes
Fisher
CJ
Lee
Markworth
Schneider
Milera
Maister

Markworth should probably stay because of injury but then there are doubts on Sanders, White and Murdoch. They will obviously all get at least one more year.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:
FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:We have now most likely sewn up pick no 1 in the next draft and the time will soon be here to consider delistings.

Shenton, Templeton, Weller and Minchington all probably deserve to be promoted to the senior list, and if we want, say 4 or 5 picks in the national draft the we would need to delist around 8 - 10 players.

So who would they be? 8-) Think maybe this..

Some popular considerations could be...

Hayes (Retired?)
TDL
Jones
Maister
Milera
Gwilt
Schneider (Retired?)
Dunell

Simpkin ( put on Rookie list )

Any others potentially on the block? Ross & Stanley (on trade table)

lee

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt - agree too small to be a key defender to slow to be a small defender and disposal is terrible has been a decent servant for the club but the time is up for him

Ray - i reckon he might have a year left in him , he is not playing to badly long term he isnt going to be part of the plans but as another seasoned body out there to take some of the heat off the young guys i would keep him on

Dunell - agree not doing enough in games to comand a spot in the 22 and is heading the way of being a list clogger

TDL - done and dusted .. the legacy of Watters ends with him could well end up playing under Watters in the WAFL , was given his last shot you would think last week and did nothing with it..

Siposs - contracted so will stay , wont suprise if he is offered up for trade but doubt we will get many bites

Simpkin - really a shame is as hard as a cats head but just doesnt get to contests possibly moved to rookie list ??

Hayes - heard a rumour round perth that his managment were asked by freo if he would consider a coaching stint with Lyon .. not sure how much truth there is in that

Fisher - long time out of footy and the footy he was playing before his time out was prob the worst of his career ... a solid body in defence does have value especially if we cut Gwilt

CJ - hope he looks back on his carreer and is content that he gave his all to make something out of nothing .. gives 110% every game but its to the point now where we dont have the skills to hide his flaws

Lee- needs a fair kick up the pants , he lost his first shot at AFL by not working hard enough at the Crows looking destined to do the same at the saints .. a real shame cause at his best he would be a very good player for us .. if delisted will prob go on and dominate WAFL again

Markworth - three years without a senior game really put you behind the 8 ball poor kid has skills just cant take a break on the injury front ... i wouldnt delist him if we could put him on the rookie list if list space is an issue i would do that but could well be the player we discuss about in years to come about what if ..

Schneider - done and dusted .. too slow to be a danger small forward and not enough grunt to play midfield .. great servant of the club and media performer for the club but his playing days surley must be over prob shuld have bowed out with Milney last year

Milera - im not sold that he is done yet ... he has skills and is creative its just he is so damn inconsistant ...

Maister - thanks for your time Beau .. maybe in the era of GTrain Beau would be of value but not now how the game is played.. to slow to many fumbles but he hits packs well .. did his best in his second shot at AFL but is not really an AFL level player

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I hear Markworth & a host of other young guys were resigned earlier this week, I'm sure the club will release the details soon. But you can take him off the delist or rookie potentials.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Dunell
TDL
Siposs if possible
Fisher retire
CJ
Schneider to coaching (brilliant Football Brain)
Maister.

Ray and Milera as alternates.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'll give this ago:

Lets see

Promote Templeton, Weller, Shenton and Minch? Maybe give Templeton an extra long stint to let him get back from injury and promote him mid season next year if need be.

So that's three in so far.

The rest is more speculative... pbly draft in 4 players and trade 1 in. We'll possibly trade one out for higher picks or something

So for mine, we need to cut about 7 players.

I would go for:
Gwilt
Jones
Schneider
TDL
Maister

To me that's an obvious 5

Dunnell like to be 6th unless he can do something drastic to turn it around which is unfortunetly looking doubtful

Pbly then one of Lenny on Monty may retire/traded. Chances are, one decision may influence the other.

I suspect that barring another Fisher breakdown, if he can run the season out he will likely be retained as an outside back
Markworth, Milera and Lee survive by the skin of their teeth
Siposs and Simpkin are saved by their contracts

We go after mids in the draft

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we are going to look at picking up more than three players in the draft, we are going to have to trade out some players to get better picks, so in that list of delistings, who could have some trade value?

older saint
SS Life Member

Retire:
Hayes ( unfortunately),

Delist:
Maister, Dunnell, TDL, Milera, Gwilt, Jones

Unsure: Fisher, Schnieder ( both dependant on their body over the remainder of the season),

Trade options:
Everyone on Delist that anyone interested in ( Gwilt, Milera , Jones may have some interest from clubs for late draft picks late draft selections)
Siposs
Ross ( not sold on him really don't think he has a big enough tank and needs to considering lack of speed)

Shenton back to rookie list - not sold on him

Sure their will be a McEvoy left field trade again this year

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt Milera and jones will be lucky to net you a half eaten pie at the trade table ....
the only tradeable players i can think of are :

Hickey - no way would we trade him
Steven - pure madness if we traded him
Ross - possible
Joey - contracted so highly doubt it
Roo - contracted and not going anywhere
Billings - no chance we would trade him would be no point
Longer - doubt we would trade the guy we just brought in
Armo - possible but i reckon we would be silly to look at doing that
Gilbo - possible but the return would prob not make it worthwhile
Curren - ditto we could trade him but why would we for what we would get back
Stanley - value is dropping by the day but would get some interest based on his size alone and a coach thinking they can fix him
Dunstan - like billings no point whatsoever in ever considering it
Acres - ditto

if we are going to trade i would say its going to be picks or as part of a 3 way trade to help other deals get done ..

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Quite possibly Pierce could be delisted and picked back up the rookie draft. It would be a bit harsh on the kid but no doubt he's still a couple of years from senior footy and that would give us a bit more headroom.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Now this is an area where we dont lack for options!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Stanley, Lee, Maister, Jones, Ray, Dennis-Lane, Milera, Schneider, Gwilt, Fisher.

Must keep Joey, Lenny, Gilbert, Dempster and Roo for leadership.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we need five or six spaces on the senior list. We'll try to take probably three or four draft picks, maybe two or three free agents or trades in.

At this stage I think we'll also promote two from the rookie list. Agree with plugger that we'll probably promote Weller and leave Templeton down. Maybe promote Shenton. Minch might have earned yet another rookie year or might be gone, hard to see him promoted. We might try to push Markworth or Pierce down to the rookie list (which means delisting them and picking them up late in the rookie draft).

So that means we need to delist seven or eight from the senior list. In order:

Dennis-Lane - obviously gone
Maister - been a good servant but not AFL standard
Dunell - unless he does something amazing in the next week or two
Jones - out of the bottom side at this stage of the season isn't a good sign for a 30 year old
Gwilt - not useful any more for mine
Hayes - can't see him going on
Pierce - down to rookie list

Another 30 year old should probably go - Schneider, Dempster, maybe Ray (almost 30). And probably someone will leave on a trade: Montagna, Gilbert, Milera, Armitage, Stanley, Siposs. None have much currency though.

At the end of this we've got eight or ten new players:

- four national draft picks
- space for two or three free agents or trades
- two or three rookie draft picks

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:I reckon we need five or six spaces on the senior list. We'll try to take probably three or four draft picks, maybe two or three free agents or trades in.

At this stage I think we'll also promote two from the rookie list. Agree with plugger that we'll probably promote Weller and leave Templeton down. Maybe promote Shenton. Minch might have earned yet another rookie year or might be gone, hard to see him promoted. We might try to push Markworth or Pierce down to the rookie list (which means delisting them and picking them up late in the rookie draft).

So that means we need to delist seven or eight from the senior list. In order:

Dennis-Lane - obviously gone
Maister - been a good servant but not AFL standard
Dunell - unless he does something amazing in the next week or two
Jones - out of the bottom side at this stage of the season isn't a good sign for a 30 year old
Gwilt - not useful any more for mine
Hayes - can't see him going on
Pierce - down to rookie list

Another 30 year old should probably go - Schneider, Dempster, maybe Ray (almost 30). And probably someone will leave on a trade: Montagna, Gilbert, Milera, Armitage, Stanley, Siposs. None have much currency though.

At the end of this we've got eight or ten new players:

- four national draft picks
- space for two or three free agents or trades
- two or three rookie draft picks
Ray only just turned 27 but think he is gone anyway. May have currency at a club like GWS or Brisbane.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Ray only just turned 27 but think he is gone anyway. May have currency at a club like GWS or Brisbane.
He'll turn 29 in March next year?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Dunell
TDL
Milera
Jones
Hayes (ret)
Maister

Shenton, Weller, and templeton upgraded to main list

Three national draft picks. Three rookie picks

Next year we''ll see the end of Schneider, Fisher, Simpkin, and then the possibility of Riewoldt, Dempster, Siposs, and Lee

2016 should see the end of Montagna, Gwilt, and ray, with a couple of non-performing players who'll have been with us for three years

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Dunell
TDL
Milera
Jones
Hayes (ret)
Maister

Shenton, Weller, and templeton upgraded to main list

Three national draft picks. Three rookie picks

Next year we''ll see the end of Schneider, Fisher, Simpkin, and then the possibility of Riewoldt, Dempster, Siposs, and Lee

2016 should see the end of Montagna, Gwilt, and ray, with a couple of non-performing players who'll have been with us for three years
To only ditch 5 would be nowhere near enough given how poor our list is.

So you think adding only 3 in a year will surfice? Maybe if it was 2009 and we were topping up for a flag.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I think the chances of delisting Pierce and picking him up in the rookie draft are very slim. A team will almost definitely take a punt on him as a delisted free agent! The kids got some serious upside!!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I don't see the point of having a wholesale clean out. We already did that in 2012. So, if we get rid of 10 players this year, who are you going to dump next year? Pretty soon you end up with all these young players you are still trying to develop and assess. You can't start dumping players you're still unsure of in relation to their improvement or value. It's better to have a model each year where you de-list 2 to 4 older players and one or two youngsters you have assessed as not being up to the grade. There's also the question of value in relation to having 4 or more picks from selections at the tail end of the draft. Remember, our 4th round pick will be around pick 70. So you end up with 4 picks from 70 to, say, 90. History tells you that you'll get more luck out of the rookie draft than from players in that 70 to 90 range (Upgraded rookies aside).

The only reason I didn't nominate Simpkin was that he is contracted for next year. Siposs and Lee are a toss up (is Siposs contracted?), but I think the club will give them one more chance to get their bodies right.

In my view, we need to squeeze every last drop out of any older player who has something to offer. I still believe they're crucial to helping these youngsters make the transition, even if it means those oldies are playing in the reserves now and then. Some would argue that they're merely standing in the way of youngsters, but we don't have any outrageous young talents smashing the door down. We have a bunch of youngsters who are feeling their way and finding their feet, and if we can ease most of them in rather than throwing them to the wolves, then that is preferable.