What to do with Gilbert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

What to do with Gilbert

Watching last weeks game really epitomised many aspects of Gilbert's game.
The good of the dash from defence, the direct given to players in zoning , the aggressive take on the game attitude.
The bad is poor disposal, 5 clangers (most of any on the team) , below 70 % efficiency on disposal.

Gilbert is one player which i feel many clubs pushing will look at. What he does well is very good and not common in AFL. Better teams can also trade off the disposal errors for what he brings better than a poor side. 3 more good games will only increase his value.

Has been a great servant of the club but to me i could see GC trading a second round pick or even 1st pick for gilbert combined with our second round pick ( say Gilbert and pick 20 for CG pick 11?

thoughts?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: What to do with Gilbert

Has been discussed in here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86703

But I have a similar view to you old saint. His good qualities are very good but he is flawed. He is in our top 12 players but hes certainly not good enough that he will have any tangible effect on our results. His good is almost outweighed by his bad. But he goes ok. He is athletic, has great run and carry, can break a tackle and is good in the air. But his turnovers are often chronic.

older saint
SS Life Member

sorry missed other post

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I'd be surprised if his name wasn't floated around to see what is offered. I could see Lyon salivating at the thought of getting a tall defending, line breaking, long kicking swing man. Lyon wouldn't too fazed by his lack of accuracy. Gilbert makes us a better rebounding team for the next few years but if we are keeping Dempster, Ray and by the sounds of it Gwilt then I think we have enough experienced bodies to let him go for a decent pick while we groom Wright, Webster, Acres back there.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote: Gilbert makes us a better rebounding team for the next few years but if we are keeping Dempster, Ray and by the sounds of it Gwilt

He is a far better player (and younger) than those three... We are better keeping him and offloading any or all of the above...

It'd have to be a very good trade weighted in our favor to get rid of Gilbo IMO...

bergsone
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:
Bluthy wrote: Gilbert makes us a better rebounding team for the next few years but if we are keeping Dempster, Ray and by the sounds of it Gwilt

He is a far better player (and younger) than those three... We are better keeping him and offloading any or all of the above...

It'd have to be a very good trade weighted in our favor to get rid of Gilbo IMO...

Agree ,not too sure we would get much for the 3.Dempster,Gwilt too slow,Ray maybe something

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

what is his contract situation ? .. rumour on Adelaide radio that the Crows are talking to one of our defenders and its not Sam Fisher (and its not Rhys Stanley either) ...they didnt name who but now that Geary has signed not a lot of others left with currency ..

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

PS.. I am a Gilbo fan so hope its all bulltish

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Gilbo is 28, so there are a few years left for him. Fisher, Rooey, Gwilt, Dempster have one more year. Monty and Ray maybe 2.

Yes, Gilbo's disposal can often be poor, but we need to retain some experience. His sometimes poor disposal is not going to keep us out of the finals. His good play is what the team will need at times.

We need to be careful not to go down the Melbourne path, where we lose all of our experience.

FQF
SS Life Member

I wouldn't want to lose him. Makes us look far better in defence.

in for the long haul
Club Player

Very surprised with a number of the comments on Gilbert. Given we have a team that lacks pace and key defenders surely we cant contemplate trading someone who has both can we? I also don't buy into the argument that his poor disposal outweighs his positives. I think he has improved his disposal , but has some way to go. I look forward to seeing Gilbo in a saints jumper for some time to come.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

It makes no sense to trade away a good player with 4/5 years remaining...unless he wants to leave

That stated, mature player, good runner, crappy kick but the good outweighs the bad greatly.

lewdogs
Club Player

I think we need him. But we need him fit! Has really struggled with fitness for two years now.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

sacrifice him to the god of lusty schoolgirls

You are garbage - Enough said
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:It makes no sense to trade away a good player with 4/5 years remaining...unless he wants to leave

That stated, mature player, good runner, crappy kick but the good outweighs the bad greatly.
But herein lays the dilemma. What if we could get a top 20 pick for him or some sort of upgrade to net an extra quality kid? That player could give us 14 years of great footy and will be in his prime when we are contending for a flag. Gilbert is coming down the other side of mountain. Against trading him is you do further damage to the fabric of the football club and facilitate more of a losing culture for the next few years. This is really our last year to be able to do a trade like this with Gilbert and/or Montagna (I don't see Armo as tradable). Tough decisions to be made.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:It makes no sense to trade away a good player with 4/5 years remaining...unless he wants to leave

But herein lays the dilemma. What if we could get a top 20 pick for him or some sort of upgrade to net an extra quality kid? That player could give us 14 years of great footy and will be in his prime when we are contending for a flag. Gilbert is coming down the other side of mountain. Against trading him is you do further damage to the fabric of the football club and facilitate more of a losing culture for the next few years. This is really our last year to be able to do a trade like this with Gilbert and/or Montagna (I don't see Armo as tradable). Tough decisions to be made.
Top 20 pick is effectively a first round pick - I don't know that there are many clubs that are going to part with their first round pick for a guy who has struggled to get on the park in the past 2 seasons. He is worth more to us than his value on the open market.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

He's been great this year prefer to keep him and lose others.

Paper side joey singed till 2016? Thought he was the trade g
Bait

Fortius Quo Fidelius