Shenton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Shenton

My first live games for a couple of years today - living in Sydney ATM -- I had Shenton chalked down for de list given his age - rookie status and the competition for his preferred position.

He came on ( with admittedly fresh legs) and wanted the ball - he made some very good positions and was at some times ignored but was still good enough for 8 possies and a couple of marks ??

He looked like one of our best that qtr and I am now re evaluating him

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shenton

He was okay but is like many others whose skills just let us down.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bergsone
SS Life Member

Wanted him in the side early season.Dont know why he was dropped,at least he shows he has some go in him.In a very disappointing performance by plenty,he at least showed again he belongs,for his knockers and there are plenty on here open your eyes

Munga
Saintsational Legend

People knock his skills. He's a wonderful kick, hands can be iffy but still early. He's got the tools IMO.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ordinary player. Not bad and certainly not good. Nothing wrong with that. if on the list wouldnt be delisted. The question is should a player like him be drafted. Dont think any other club would but we may.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

GOP but Geary and Armitage are probably only one step better and people on here tout one as a captain and the other getting us a number 2 draft pick!
The cupboard is pretty bare out Seaford way, and as they say "in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king".

bergsone
SS Life Member

Ahead of about 12 today easily

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Worth continuing with. I see plenty of up-side there. At 24, he has a mature body. Interesting that he played as a forward before coming to the Saints :wink:

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

He's a goer. Gives you effort all the time. Probably only going to be a borderline selection. Not a bad back up but I don't think he's best 22 material.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Is he our next Gwilt? A GOP who gives 110% and ends up a 100 game player??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Munga wrote:People knock his skills. He's a wonderful kick, hands can be iffy but still early. He's got the tools IMO.
Wouldn't say he was a wonderful kick but he has a crack..

Saint wagga
Club Player

Added spark, he's shown more this year than any of Saunders, Murdoch, roberton, Wright, as good as Webster...worth upgrading to the senior list for next year IMO...

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Saint wagga wrote:Added spark, he's shown more this year than any of Saunders, Murdoch, roberton, Wright, as good as Webster...worth upgrading to the senior list for next year IMO...
I think both Wright and Webster would be preferred options but he's probably in with the others. As you said he's done more than them and so he's getting a game.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

If we're going to rebuild, players like Shent are not part of our future unfortunately!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Will be upgraded next year, 2 year contract.
Think he has a lot of upside and much prefer him running off the hbf than Geary. I feel they are competing for a similar position and Shenton can kick so it goes to him.
Will naturally improve as he gains confidence, very happy with his progress.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think he has upside. His work ethic and his attitude will determine whether the coaches think he is a keeper. At the moment Shents adds depth to the list and he deserves his spot.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Will be upgraded next year, 2 year contract.
Think he has a lot of upside and much prefer him running off the hbf than Geary. I feel they are competing for a similar position and Shenton can kick so it goes to him.
He is ahead of Roberton this year and probably fighting for that running defensive utility role with Webster. I love Simpkin but think Shents is a more usable player. I would probably say that Dunnell, TDL, Siposs and Milera would probably be in line to go as well as Lenny and Maister. He might get an upgrade because they see him as a better back up than a very late speculative pick.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Will be upgraded next year, 2 year contract.
He is ahead of Roberton this year and probably fighting for that running defensive utility role with Webster. I love Simpkin but think Shents is a more usable player. I would probably say that Dunnell, TDL, Siposs and Milera would probably be in line to go as well as Lenny and Maister. He might get an upgrade because they see him as a better back up than a very late speculative pick.
Webster will be one of the fist picked next year. I see Shents more as potential replacement for Fisher, Dempster and/or Gwilt.
Shents probably competing along with Roberto and Gilbo for his spots.

older saint
SS Life Member

Depth player at best i think if we get our best team in . decision making really hurts IMO. Expect him to be kept and possibly upgraded but not a long term solution if we are to be successful

Saint wagga
Club Player

The young guy can play. He can find the footy and his descion making isn't too bad for someone so inexperienced...certainly will benefit from another pre season to build a tank and stay in games for longer periods but yesterdays match confirmed to me that he may be one who can jump out of the pack of mediocrity!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

From what I've seen I don't think he is a defender.
Maybe he's an 'outside mid'?
He attacks the footy with intent, can run and can kick.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think he has the required intensity and skills to be a good player.. maybe on a wing or even ruck-roving. I don't think decision-making is a problem, as some of his much more experienced team-mates have the same issues as we have seen this season all too frequently. I reckon he could take another step up next season if the club persists with him.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Depth player at best i think if we get our best team in . decision making really hurts IMO. Expect him to be kept and possibly upgraded but not a long term solution if we are to be successful
It looks that way to me too. I was quite impressed with his marking last night, pulled in some real good pack marks. But we want a team that can keep the football and Cam hasn't shown he can do that well yet. But I hope he gets another year because he has developed this year under Richo and actually getting game time.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i thought he was one of the best at making space and finding position yesterday. covered a lot of ground and found the ball well.

i would be really disappointed if he wasnt promoted at seasons end. reckon there is a lot to like in shaggy

#1 Ryder fan
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:i thought he was one of the best at making space and finding position yesterday. covered a lot of ground and found the ball well.

i would be really disappointed if he wasnt promoted at seasons end. reckon there is a lot to like in shaggy
It's hard not to like shaggy as he some wilderbeast that can play footy.

But he's destined to be a GOP and I can't see him in a top side - certainly worth keeping for next year though.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.