John Butcher chased by Saints - per Facebook

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

John Butcher chased by Saints - per Facebook

So it must be gospel then.

Sounds like he's not much chop and not a good disposer of the footy.

Possible swap with Milera.

Is that dud for dud then?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
andrewg
Club Player

Re: John Butcher chased by Saints - per Facebook

Mmm great mark but can't kick....worth a trade for Milera. I dont think you can totally disregard anyone with a good pair of hand...Jay Shultz was rubbish at tigers but amazing at port...sometimes it's worth a punt on these guys but if we are backing
Stanley, White, Lee to be our forward line and are looking at a midfielder at this and next years draft, butcher could be okay.

Worth a risk I think. Still young, was a saints fan as a kid and can't be any worse than Maister.

Pick 8 in draft
197 cm
23 years old 24 July next year

His first couple of games for port were outstanding..I think I have convinced myself he is good for the saints.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Marks the footy like Stewie Loewe and kicks it like Andrew Dunkley.

ctqs
Club Player

Buckets wasn't a good kick to start with but ended up bagging 90 goals in one year.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I know enough about him to say he is the type of player StKilda desperately needs. Great hands, either good or atrocious kick depending on the day. At his worst still better than Milera. Great pedigree, his dad is still coaching Maffra and is that club's most successful coach.

Make it happen.

Saint supporter since '62
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Just another ordinary player. Yep he may improve us to the stage we wlose by a little less but once the side actually improves he shouldn't hopefully get a game so IMO its another wasted pick if we grab him. In horse racing terms prefer others.

FQF
SS Life Member

Bad kicking can generally be coached... I'd prefer him to Liam Jones

saint6709
Club Player

As with anyone like this - all I want to know is can he be converted into a key back ???

defacto
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:As with anyone like this - all I want to know is can he be converted into a key back ???
i'm hoping gwilt goes via FA, we get compo around a 3rd rounder. send that to port adelaide for butcher and oshea maybe chuck in some steak knives. would be an amazing deal!!!!

if no chance of oshea, sending a 4th/5th rounder to port for butcher wouldnt be bad. maybe a rookie list agreement with port. butcher to us as a rookie, milera to port as a rookie

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
saint6709 wrote:As with anyone like this - all I want to know is can he be converted into a key back ???
i'm hoping gwilt goes via FA, we get compo around a 3rd rounder. send that to port adelaide for butcher and oshea maybe chuck in some steak knives. would be an amazing deal!!!!

if no chance of oshea, sending a 4th/5th rounder to port for butcher wouldnt be bad. maybe a rookie list agreement with port. butcher to us as a rookie, milera to port as a rookie

Gwilt has been delisted and even if he wasn't he wouldn't have got any value at all under FA. That's why they let him go early. O'Shea was just another crap rumour.

defacto
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

Gwilt has been delisted and even if he wasn't he wouldn't have got any value at all under FA. That's why they let him go early. O'Shea was just another crap rumour.
i dont think the Oshea one is just a crap rumor. someone like brett anderson who usually has reliable mail has said there is interest from the saints

agree on the gwilt thing, its very hopefully. i wouldnt be against sending the 3rd rounder we have now for Oshea and Butcher

jamesmc
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Just another ordinary player. Yep he may improve us to the stage we wlose by a little less but once the side actually improves he shouldn't hopefully get a game so IMO its another wasted pick if we grab him. In horse racing terms prefer others.
we are only going to improve little by little.
It is not going to be an overnight 15 goal improvement.
If he can improve us by any amount i would take him.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

Wrong. The club has said Gwilt will not be offered another contract. His current contract expires at the end of Oct upon list lodgement. If he is picked up as a FA or during the trade period we may receive compensation at the discretion of the AFL. We've publicly said he won't be offered another contract as a gesture of goodwill to give Gwilt the best chance possible to get picked up and continue his career.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

i dont think the Oshea one is just a crap rumor. someone like brett anderson who usually has reliable mail has said there is interest from the saints

agree on the gwilt thing, its very hopefully. i wouldnt be against sending the 3rd rounder we have now for Oshea and Butcher

Im going to call it a crap rumour especially as he extended his contract this year until the end of 2016. They are on the rise and he also extends contract. It makes no sense he wants out.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

Considering Brett Anderson is an ex-employee of our club and still has connections I will take his word for it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

Wrong. The club has said Gwilt will not be offered another contract. His current contract expires at the end of Oct upon list lodgement. If he is picked up as a FA or during the trade period we may receive compensation at the discretion of the AFL. We've publicly said he won't be offered another contract as a gesture of goodwill to give Gwilt the best chance possible to get picked up and continue his career.

All contracts finish then so can you explain how other players leave as delisted FA in that period? Look forward to how you prove me wrong after that statement. And the O'Shea makes less sense than Gwilt being on the list still.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Plugger, delisted free agency doesn't begin until 1 Nov. You are getting confused with RFA/UFA period which is between 3-13 Oct.

defacto
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

Im going to call it a crap rumour especially as he extended his contract this year until the end of 2016. They are on the rise and he also extends contract. It makes no sense he wants out.
the rumor surfaced when he wasnt getting much of an opportunity since then he has been playing senior football and the rumor has gone quiet.

he'd be getting a pay rise in a team that is facing considerable cap pressure, especially with bringing in ryder.

you can question rumors but this one absolutely made sense

defacto
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

All contracts finish then so can you explain how other players leave as delisted FA in that period? Look forward to how you prove me wrong after that statement. And the O'Shea makes less sense than Gwilt being on the list still.
roberton is an example of a delisted free agent. to be a delisted free agent you need your club to terminate your contract formally with the AFL. this is yet to happen with both gwilt and clinton jones. they have been told that they will not receive a new contract though, so its simply waiting for it to be voided.

both are unrestricted free agents though, so can leave at anytime

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

the rumor surfaced when he wasnt getting much of an opportunity since then he has been playing senior football and the rumor has gone quiet.

he'd be getting a pay rise in a team that is facing considerable cap pressure, especially with bringing in ryder.

I still don't get how it makes sense when he has 2 years on his contract, he is playing, we are a crap side and they are a good side.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger, contracted players can leave if both parties agree, as we saw with Ben last year. I know you know this so why are you pretending to be dumb? Further, O'Shea is Victorian can you not fathom he has had a change of heart since re-signing and wishes to return home? Can you also see benefit in an increased salary package to play for St Kilda as well as greater opportunity?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:plugger, contracted players can leave if both parties agree, as we saw with Ben last year. I know you know this so why are you pretending to be dumb? Further, O'Shea is Victorian can you not fathom he has had a change of heart since re-signing and wishes to return home? Can you also see benefit in an increased salary package to play for St Kilda as well as greater opportunity?

Of course I know they can leave but common sense suggests a player who extends a contract this year by 2 years has 100% no interest in leaving. Also we chose to get rid of Ben. Im doubting Port would want that with O'Shea. As for being a Victorian I reckon that didn't seem to matter in March when he decided on 2 more yars.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

roberton is an example of a delisted free agent. to be a delisted free agent you need your club to terminate your contract formally with the AFL. this is yet to happen with both gwilt and clinton jones. they have been told that they will not receive a new contract though, so its simply waiting for it to be voided.

How do you know that hasn't happened for either player? Im would just about be sure it or will be before the draft but if you can prove it I certainly will say sorry.

defacto
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

I still don't get how it makes sense when he has 2 years on his contract, he is playing, we are a crap side and they are a good side.
did you neglect to read what i wrote. i said he wasnt playing. he was in and out of the side.

contracted players ask to be traded all of the time. see mitch brown. now paddy ryder. now beams. see crameri

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
defacto wrote:

How do you know that hasn't happened for either player? Im would just about be sure it has but if you can prove it I certainly will say sorry.
Player contracts expire: 31 Oct.
Unrestricted Free Agency period: 3 - 13 Oct.
Delisted Free Agency period: 1 - 12 Nov.

Roberton was picked up in the delisted free agency period.