What Should We Take From Trade Week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

What Should We Take From Trade Week?

So trade week is done and dusted. Now comes the inevitable soul searching and discussion about how well we did or didn't do? Was it smart to hold on to pick 1 as we have? Should we have traded one or two more of our established players?

Quite frankly I am surprised to see that Joey is still a Saint. I would have thought he would have been a certainty to go. But clearly he will see out his playing days as a Sainter.

Ok here is my take. We did good. The people who don't think we did, and I am sure there are plenty on this forum, are underestimating how much value we placed on pick 1. The answer to that is mega.

Richo, Pelchen, Bains, Elshaug etc were not going to let it go without big, big compensation. Were they ever serious about bartering it away? Absolutely if they got what they consider value. They didn't, so we will go to November knowing we can select the best young footballer in Australia.

The next obvious conclusion to be drawn from this week is that the club has known all along who that number 1 footballer is. And we clearly place an extremely high premium on his value.

I am sure we were offered multiple picks by GWS. But in the end we wanted 3 and they were only offering 2. A lot of people here think it's McCartin or Wright. But I think you'd have to be blind freddy not to see that we have a major hard on for Petracca. We like him because he can play and kick goals. But we like for another, very important reason. And it has to do with big picture stuff.

One of the big changes in the approach of this football club to the recruitment of young players last year and this year is to make a serious assessment of their attitude. Sure ability is important but one of our big priorities now is is how these young players approach their game. Do they have the right work ethic? Are they prepared to work hard to improve their game? Do they do the little things with the same dedication as the big picture stuff? Are they level headed and take the responsibility of representing this football club seriously?

Attitude becomes the difference between winning and losing in the clutch plays. Three points down and two minutes to play in the GF and the ball is in our defensive half. Attitude, the right attitude is going to win you that game but you need the kind of footballer who understands it and relishes the challenge.

I am sure that is one of the reasons why we have offered Mav Weller a two year contract and why we let Rhys Stanley go. Weller is a good player with the right attitude and the right thought processes. Shane Savage the same. Billings, Dunstan, Acres etc. And that is also why we will call out Christian Petracca's name in November. His attitude to his footy is exactly what we want and exactly what we need to be successful.

This club is determined to win a premiership. They also know if nothing changes, nothing changes. We've made that mistake once. We won't do it again. I look forward to welcoming three, young talented footballers to our club who have the right attitude and so should you.

Kris1
Club Player

Re: What Should We Take From Trade Week?

Like!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:So trade week is done and dusted. Now comes the inevitable soul searching and discussion about how well we did or didn't do? Was it smart to hold on to pick 1 as we have? Should we have traded one or two more of our established players?

Quite frankly I am surprised to see that Joey is still a Saint. I would have thought he would have been a certainty to go. But clearly he will see out his playing days as a Sainter.

Ok here is my take. We did good. The people who don't think we did, and I am sure there are plenty on this forum, are underestimating how much value we placed on pick 1. The answer to that is mega.

Richo, Pelchen, Bains, Elshaug etc were not going to let it go without big, big compensation. Were they ever serious about bartering it away? Absolutely if they got what they consider value. They didn't, so we will go to November knowing we can select the best young footballer in Australia.

The next obvious conclusion to be drawn from this week is that the club has known all along who that number 1 footballer is. And we clearly place an extremely high premium on his value.

I am sure we were offered multiple picks by GWS. But in the end we wanted 3 and they were only offering 2. A lot of people here think it's McCartin or Wright. But I think you'd have to be blind freddy not to see that we have a major hard on for Petracca. We like him because he can play and kick goals. But we like for another, very important reason. And it has to do with big picture stuff.

One of the big changes in the approach of this football club to the recruitment of young players last year and this year is to make a serious assessment of their attitude. Sure ability is important but one of our big priorities now is is how these young players approach their game. Do they have the right work ethic? Are they prepared to work hard to improve their game? Do they do the little things with the same dedication as the big picture stuff? Are they level headed and take the responsibility of representing this football club seriously?

Attitude becomes the difference between winning and losing in the clutch plays. Three points down and two minutes to play in the GF and the ball is in our defensive half. Attitude, the right attitude is going to win you that game but you need the kind of footballer who understands it and relishes the challenge.

I am sure that is one of the reasons why we have offered Mav Weller a two year contract and why we let Rhys Stanley go. Weller is a good player with the right attitude and the right thought processes. Shane Savage the same. Billings, Dunstan, Acres etc. And that is also why we will call out Christian Petracca's name in November. His attitude to his footy is exactly what we want and exactly what we need to be successful.

This club is determined to win a premiership. They also know if nothing changes, nothing changes. We've made that mistake once. We won't do it again. I look forward to welcoming three, young talented footballers to our club who have the right attitude and so should you.

good post....apart from your comments on joey...he was never going anywhere and i am surprised you thought otherwise...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The one thing I think to keep in mind is our list overall.

Now there has been a lots of fear mongering about 'Not doing a Melbourne' and 'Throwing the baby out with the bathwater' but the reality is we still carry a very uneven list into 2015.
We all remember this from earlier in the season
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 08cis.html

And since then - more alarming (but not at all surprising) was our top 4 B& F finishes were all 30+ - Roo, Dempster, Lenny, Montagna.

Three of those four guys will go again and then there is Fisher, Ray, Gilbo, Ray, Armo, Schneider, Geary (3+7=10) all unquestionably seasoned players.

Below that we have our now infamous black hole of calcutta - and then a bunch of kids.

So this makes guys like Delaney, Steven and Newnes and then to a lesser extent Weller and Membrey super important for us next year while we spend the time to develop our kids.

damienc
Club Player

stinger wrote:
damienc wrote:So trade week is done and dusted. Now comes the inevitable soul searching and discussion about how well we did or didn't do? Was it smart to hold on to pick 1 as we have? Should we have traded one or two more of our established players?

good post....apart from your comments on joey...he was never going anywhere and i am surprised you thought otherwise...
Yes. You are right of course. That was prejudice talking. I was disappointed with his on-field attitude this year.

evo
Club Player

Its not going to be pretty next year watching our team of old vets and skinny kids getting smashed by teams like Melbourne, Footscray, GWS etc . Attracting FA's next year is going to be hard if that's the scenario. I was hopeful of getting some mature bodied players during the trade period. Not keen on KP, seems like another Micky Conlan. Rant over...

Stian
Club Player

evo wrote:Its not going to be pretty next year watching our team of old vets and skinny kids getting smashed by teams like Melbourne, Footscray, GWS etc . Attracting FA's next year is going to be hard if that's the scenario. I was hopeful of getting some mature bodied players during the trade period. Not keen on KP, seems like another Micky Conlan. Rant over...
errr, who is KP and what was wrong with Micky Conlan???? :shock: Good runner and breaker of lines; well before that was fashionable

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont want to go to early and flirt with hubris.... but there is a little part inside me that thinks maybe Carlton have done the worst..... I can hear their fans calling up talk-back already and going feral when pick 7 turns out an absolute gun :-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:
stinger wrote:

Yes. You are right of course. That was prejudice talking. I was disappointed with his on-field attitude this year.
i was told that he was carrying a serious injury all year.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The one thing I think to keep in mind is our list overall.

Now there has been a lots of fear mongering about 'Not doing a Melbourne' and 'Throwing the baby out with the bathwater' but the reality is we still carry a very uneven list into 2015.
We all remember this from earlier in the season
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 08cis.html

And since then - more alarming (but not at all surprising) was our top 4 B& F finishes were all 30+ - Roo, Dempster, Lenny, Montagna.

Three of those four guys will go again and then there is Fisher, Ray, Gilbo, Ray, Armo, Schneider, Geary (3+7=10) all unquestionably seasoned players.

Below that we have our now infamous black hole of calcutta - and then a bunch of kids.

So this makes guys like Delaney, Steven and Newnes and then to a lesser extent Weller and Membrey super important for us next year while we spend the time to develop our kids.

a fair portion of the club were injured last year....the best and fairest results were affected by that

saint-stu
Club Player

stinger wrote:
damienc wrote:
stinger wrote:

i was told that he was carrying a serious injury all year.....
Yep, they asked him this on radio and he responded with "everyone does" (plays with injury). Admitted it was his worst season, so I don't think it was anything to do with his attitude. He just wasn't capable of playing at his best with that injury. Glad we still have him and hope he has a great year next year.

http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premi ... 82fdd99aa8

1ac46a38