Money, influence and corruption -in our AFL????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

Money, influence and corruption -in our AFL????

Big money, TV rights deals, boys wanting to play in the big end of town, obligations and promises to keep. Who would want to be an AFL admisinstator? Yet it is these very people who are charged with preventing our competition from becoming just like the English Premier League. Forget the Essendope stoush, the real threat is perhaps already manifest. The disillusion with the integrity of the competition, the failure of any semblence of randomness in the fixture, the money clubs becoming more so and the crazy rule changes designed to remove the legitimate physical character that has been inherent in the game for over 100years. The game has survived on one generation passing on to the next the love of a team, the passion and hope that makes you get out on a Saturday (oops-sorry, a Thusday, Or Friday or Sunday or........)
My grandkids would rather play a computer game than watch a real one.
The crowds this season are down (masked by the Adelaide Oval success). It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Money, influence and corruption -in our AFL????

I have been watching some games from 1980's and 1990's

and little things noted- game really hasn't changed that much- Alves was doing some things that are still bemoaned or applauded now

and Tv was' going whole hog--- started INTERVIEWING a coach prior to the game ....
I wonder if those same TV people feel now we are listening to players during action and interviewing players as they leave the ground...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I posted this on another (THE other) thread before I saw this one.

That suburban, tribal, rivalry has gone out of the game, replaced by the big sanitized stadium, corporate dollars, FIXtures and athletes masquerading as "footballers". :cry:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

If you don't like AFL go watch your local footy club, you'll be surprised how good and enjoyable it is!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

To me it is simple (ish).

The AFL constitution describes the AFL Commission as the 'keeper of the code'.

But who decides whether this constitution has been kept? Who watches the gate keepers?

The reality is this constitutional cornerstone has long been sacrificed as the TV Broadcast rights optimisation has become the paramount cornerstone of the AFL commission.

The only people with the power to re-calibrate the AFL commission to re-connect as the 'keeper of the code' are the clubs.

This my friends is how corruption works. The clubs are the only ones to steady the ship = but they are too far down the gravy train trail.

Why do people think College football is so popular in the US?

The NFL is a TV sport and everyone treats it as such. And our AFL are headlong and desperate to be like the NFL.

I dare say NONE of the AFL Commission have ever lived in the US.

(And yes I have lived in the US. The NFL is good for sponsors, players and administrators - but not at all the same for fans - we will all be screwed)

Megamaguire
Club Player

MONEY INFLUENCE & CORRUPTION

Con you are right in highlighting some of the questionable and money hungry motivations that are constantly swirling around the corridors of the AFL administration.
The big clubs are getting richer (and don't they need it?) while the poorer get the picture!

When I think about it it makes me worry about the survival of our Sainters.
As a club we could do with some financial wins. Reading a few posts on here lately I did agree with whoever it was that said we abandoned Tasmania on a whim and not in the best long-term interests of our club surviving & thriving. I guess decisions like that come down to the qualities of the administrators.

My old bandwagon ' BUY THE DOME BACK ALREADY ' just keeps coming back to haunt me.
If the AFL could just do one thing for our club (incl. dogs & north) it would be to buy back the stadium and allow us to operate on a level playing field. This leveled playing field would allow St.Kilda Football Club to operate more independently and securely.
Some day . . .

G O S A I N T S ! :o

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Three words = Collingwood Eddie Maguire!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Game has been rigged for years.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote:If you don't like AFL go watch your local footy club, you'll be surprised how good and enjoyable it is!
+ 1

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so we've only just figured out the game is run by big business for the sole reason of making profit and its run by rich fat cats who are all knuckle pressers and pat themselves on the back with one trouser leg rolled up?

seriously
only just figured that out now?
the day it went from VFL to AFL it died

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Pretty much how the rest of the world is going too. Get used to it. Our governments sell out to big business and have no interest in the public any more and it's all major parties not just the Libs. Clive Palmer has just back flipped on two pieces of legislation that directly benefit him. He should be unable to vote as there is a conflict of interest.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

cant argue with that gringo

"all the word is a stage....and the public are the puppets"

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Pretty much how the rest of the world is going too. Get used to it. Our governments sell out to big business and have no interest in the public any more and it's all major parties not just the Libs. Clive Palmer has just back flipped on two pieces of legislation that directly benefit him. He should be unable to vote as there is a conflict of interest.

Exactly. Living in fantasyland if people expect the AFL to be different to all other sports.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Gee don't tell me the AFL is corrupt now.
I have been bagged for saying that since I joined this forum.
(16 December 2007)

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Club Player

Personally I dont give a stuff who makes money from the game, who scratches the back of the other etc- BUT I do care when the game is corrupted, and by that I mean that inequality increases, draws are manufactured, rules are massaged to pander to the latest random incident and what it means to play for a club and support a club become ever more distant as a relic of a bygone era.
We will see, but as many have commented elsewhere- our fixture does us no favours.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
gringo
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:Personally I dont give a stuff who makes money from the game, who scratches the back of the other etc- BUT I do care when the game is corrupted, and by that I mean that inequality increases, draws are manufactured, rules are massaged to pander to the latest random incident and what it means to play for a club and support a club become ever more distant as a relic of a bygone era.
We will see, but as many have commented elsewhere- our fixture does us no favours.

We stuffed up majorly when we allowed gambling money to come in. We have exposed ourselves to more chance of the game being manipulated. Unfortunately there is no moral code for most major sports and success is seen as the money coming in during someones tenure. In the corporate and political world there is no incentive to make your country better in 10 or 20 years time. They sell the house to rent it back because the books look good on their watch. China will take over as the worlds dominant economy because their system is able to look long term. The western economies are all based around individuals getting richer with no common goal or agenda. The AFL is just a microcosm of general society.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Money, influence and corruption

gringo wrote:Pretty much how the rest of the world is going too. Get used to it. Our governments sell out to big business and have no interest in the public any more and it's all major parties not just the Libs. Clive Palmer has just back flipped on two pieces of legislation that directly benefit him. He should be unable to vote as there is a conflict of interest.
Governments that are more interested in telling than representing equal a dangerous brew indeed. Here in Victoria we have to pay inflated energy prices because of secret government deals guaranteeing energy providers profits!
Guaranteeing should not come into it in a transparent society. You have to shake your head when you realise the politicians that feel the need to lead and look tough bend over backwards to the big companies and financial interests. Fortunately not all news including political initiatives around our planet is bad. There is a lot of work going on making energy cheaper and cleaner -a win/win you would think. It would be encouraging if some politicians would get out of the way if they cant lend a hand...

G O S A I N T S ! :)

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:Personally I dont give a stuff who makes money from the game, who scratches the back of the other etc- BUT I do care when the game is corrupted, and by that I mean that inequality increases, draws are manufactured, rules are massaged to pander to the latest random incident and what it means to play for a club and support a club become ever more distant as a relic of a bygone era.
Some team has to cop the majority of the Sunday 4.40 pm games, and the winner is....StKilda

Finnis is then straight on the front foot spinning whatever positives come to mind. I knew there was a reason i pay so much for Foxtel Sport.

Crap time slot for a game of Footy

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Some team has to cop the majority of the Sunday 4.40 pm games, and the winner is....StKilda

Finnis is then straight on the front foot spinning whatever positives come to mind. I knew there was a reason i pay so much for Foxtel Sport.

Four home game I can't go to! Four home games a lot of Families with school kids can't go to. We are shafted again and the CEO says we'll bring to life the Sunday afternoon experience. What the hell does that mean? We accept that we're crap?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Wayne42 wrote: Some team has to cop the majority of the Sunday 4.40 pm games, and the winner is....StKilda

Four home game I can't go to! Four home games a lot of Families with school kids can't go to. We are shafted again and the CEO says we'll bring to life the Sunday afternoon experience. What the hell does that mean? We accept that we're crap?

I cant go to Saturday games. Some cant go to sunday day games. Why cant kids go? What is wrong with getting home around 9pm for 4 days out of 365 days. Wont even slightly wreck their life. God we are friggin soft.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

I cant go to Saturday games. Some cant go to sunday day games. Why cant kids go? What is wrong with getting home around 9pm for 4 days out of 365 days. Wont even slightly wreck their life. God we are friggin soft.
Most parent won't take kids to 4.40 Sunday games as it is just too much on a school night. It is the punishment for being s*** though.

Saints43
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:...the CEO says we'll bring to life the Sunday afternoon experience. What the hell does that mean?
Someone screaming at us through the scoreboard?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:)
in an american accent , just to accentuate the experience.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Most parent won't take kids to 4.40 Sunday games as it is just too much on a school night. It is the punishment for being s*** though.

Yep those 4 days out of 365 when you get home as late as 9pm will destroy the kids forever. Could we get anymore softer?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Yep those 4 days out of 365 when you get home as late as 9pm will destroy the kids forever. Could we get anymore softer?
Go tell my wife. She is a sleep Nazi she reads all kinds of crap about kids and pretty much cotton wools them. If I had my way they would be sculling stubbies and smoking while watching the footy at midnight on a school night but I'm scared of her half hour long rants about childrens' health.