A Little More Draft Analysis

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

A Little More Draft Analysis

Compliments of the season to all.

I know its summer and there's not much to talk about on the footy front. But I have been doing a bit of reflection, on the draft just gone, for the fun of it.

All in all, the consensus was we did pretty well and I, for one, agree with that assessment.

And while I don't have very many, if any, reservations about who we ended up with, I have been casting over the thinking that might have led to those selections.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced that McCartin only came into calculations when the dishlickers surprised everyone with the trade and the offer that persuaded Boyd to leave Greater Western Sydney.

I am sure the St Kilda thinking, up until that time, was to make a big offer and grab Boyd at the end of 2015.

I think he was seen as the natural successor to Roo. Up until that trade, I am convinced we were taking Petracca.

But the unexpected happened, so McCartin became our number one selection.

I would also venture another reason why Petracca might have fallen off the radar.

Dangerfield will be out of contract at the end of 2015. The rumour is he wants to return to Victoria.

I think we would be serious bidders, along with a number of other clubs, for someone of his calibre. Put it this way, if you had a choice between Dangerfield and Petracca I know who I would choose.

For all of his obvious talent, Petracca is still an unknown quantity. He may have what it takes to be an elite midfielder or he may not.

It would also fit our rebuild to have a big gun join the club in 2016. By then, hopefully, we will be showing some glimpse of being a contender worth taking seriously.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: A Little More Draft Analysis

damienc wrote:Compliments of the season to all.

I know its summer and there's not much to talk about on the footy front. But I have been doing a bit of reflection, on the draft just gone, for the fun of it.

All in all, the consensus was we did pretty well and I, for one, agree with that assessment.

And while I don't have very many, if any, reservations about who we ended up with, I have been casting over the thinking that might have led to those selections.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced that McCartin only came into calculations when the dishlickers surprised everyone with the trade and the offer that persuaded Boyd to leave Greater Western Sydney.

I am sure the St Kilda thinking, up until that time, was to make a big offer and grab Boyd at the end of 2015.

I think he was seen as the natural successor to Roo. Up until that trade, I am convinced we were taking Petracca.

I would also venture another reason why Petracca might have fallen off the radar.

Dangerfield will be out of contract at the end of 2015. The rumour is he wants to return to Victoria.

I think we would be serious bidders, along with a number of other clubs, for someone of his calibre. Put it this way, if you had a choice between Dangerfield and Petracca I know who I would choose.

For all of his obvious talent, Petracca is still an unknown quantity. He may have what it takes to be an elite midfielder or he may not.

It would also fit our rebuild to have a big gun join the club in 2016. By then, hopefully, we will be showing some glimpse of being a contender worth taking seriously.

If we lose Steven to FA we wont be chasing Dangerfield and to be honest I don't think the club thinks they have even a slight chance of getting him anyway.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think Dangerfield will go for far too much. I reckon we should concentrate on raiding the Northern Clubs. I would rather we make a play for Jeremy Cameron.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If we lose Steven to FA we wont be chasing Dangerfield...
Why not? I'd swap Steven for Dangerfield in a heartbeat. They're exactly the same age but Dangerfield has been AA twice to Steven's zero times. It's a no-brainer. Though I'm not sure why he'd come to us unless we paid him $1m+ a year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If we lose Steven to FA we wont be chasing Dangerfield...
Why not? I'd swap Steven for Dangerfield in a heartbeat. They're exactly the same age but Dangerfield has been AA twice to Steven's zero times. It's a no-brainer. Though I'm not sure why he'd come to us unless we paid him $1m+ a year.

But we can chase a star the year after when we are closer to the finals and also probably get pick 2 next season. Chasing Dangerfield, when we have no hope anyway, costs us pick 2.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I think Dangerfield will go for far too much. I reckon we should concentrate on raiding the Northern Clubs. I would rather we make a play for Jeremy Cameron.

Well Cameron would cost more so I don't see that happening if cost is the issue.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:But we can chase a star the year after when we are closer to the finals and also probably get pick 2 next season. Chasing Dangerfield, when we have no hope anyway, costs us pick 2.
Nope. Getting Dangerfield costs us pick 2. Chasing him costs us nothing.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I'm sometimes bemused by the Dangerfield 'hype'. While I'm not denying he is a very good player ( and awesome on his good days), is he really going to get any better as he gets older? Is he going to take games by the scruff of the neck regularly and lead a team into a big finals series? He certainly hasn't ever done it with the Crows.

Not putting him down just my opinion

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I think the idea that Saints were confident of getting Boyd is bogus. At most it was maybe a 10% chance . I ended up on the Petracca bandwagon but I think there are doubts about his kicking. In the end I can see why they went big Paddy. Even though you would love him to have a couple more centimetres (will he keep growing?) you just can't pass up those big lump forwards as they are so hard to get. I always thought in the Grannies we lacked that huge-assed pack splitting forward that sends defenders flying like skittles and opens things up (Rooey was ruthlessly tunnelled and arm chopped and umps notoriously put away the whistle for GF's). Swans and Dogs have taken huge risks with their investments in big forwards and we've got one for nothing. I wonder how the other swans and dogs players feel being preached a team ethos and then seeing these individuals come in on huge salaries. I was shocked in the grannie the way the Swans, who's are the very epitome of going shoulder to shoulder when the going gets tough, seemed to lack their normal team cohesion. Hardly anyone tried to stand up. Maybe at an unconscious level Buddy's huge pay deal, when other long term swans would have taken pay cuts, has dented some of their solidarity.

What is pretty damn exciting is that we already have a skelton in place. This is still very speculative of course but: McCartin power fwd, Billings mercurial fwd and explosive mid, Goddard backline General, Acres maybe sweeper and mid, Hickey/Longer rucks, Dunstan in and under mid. We obviously need to add a lot of quality muscle and flesh but I can see what they have done recruiting wise now. Get the key structure in place which is probably the hardest to develop and then add in mids and run and dash.

Saintberra
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
If we lose Steven to FA we wont be chasing Dangerfield and to be honest I don't think the club thinks they have even a slight chance of getting him anyway.
If I have a feeling that if Steven leaves, it won't be for money issues. We easily have enough in the bank for both Steven and a star from another club (plus more!). With the new rule that clubs must pay 95% of their salary cap, I'm sure the club is currently paying some players overs (to which they have told said players) and plan on using these additional funds and poaching a player or two, then see how much they have left over in the piggy bank to forward on to Steven

(please correct me if I'm wrong) :D

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Spoke to a mate who saw Petracca play at bit at Whitefriars as his son played in the same team. Said while he was the captain and played some great games said that his disposal let him down quite a bit. Was inspirational and could get the ball but turned it over. Is not the once in a generation player that some think he is ie ala Judd. Maybe McCartin is a better bet. I don't think not getting him had anything to do with his character. Said he was a good kid.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Forget Danger. Do not want.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Forget Danger. Do not want.
Really? Why not?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Why do u think thats what the club thinks?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:But we can chase a star the year after when we are closer to the finals and also probably get pick 2 next season. Chasing Dangerfield, when we have no hope anyway, costs us pick 2.

Well that's completely wrong.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why do u think thats what the club thinks?
Because my grandmother is having sex with Tony Elshuag. Do people really need to ask common sense questions. Apparently they do.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Please set me right. Why is that completely wrong?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Please set me right. Why is that completely wrong?

Well if we chase him we need to pay for him by either losing the compensation pick or by giving away another pick which is unlikely because he is a FA. If we lost Jack next season and finished last we would probably get pick 2 for Jack if he has another season like 2013. The following year we can still get a FA for nothing. Yes it wont be Dangerfield but it could be someone as good and we would also be closer to making the finals.

These are the end results.

1 Lose jack and get Dangerfield next season and finish last ( a lot guess work there by the way)

Pick one and Dangerfield and no jack

2 Lose jack and forget Dangerfield and any FA next season

Picks one and two and no jack

3 Lose Jack next season and chase a FW the following season

Picks one and two and no jack and the FA the following season when close to actually going up the ladder.

So my point is if we lose Jack next season we cannot chase a FA next season. It would madness.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Pluggs, your grandmther would be close to a Centurian. Come on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Pluggs, your grandmther would be close to a Centurian. Come on.

Shes dead. That hasn't stopped people in the past though.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Pluggs, your grandmther would be close to a Centurian. Come on.
She does pilates.

Let's be honest, unless you are Jaxons, Tony74 or are similarly in the know - we are all just speculating.

To discuss picking up Dangerfield where we otherwise could've gotten pick 2 isn't madness. I'm not entirely on the Danger wagon, but in an open market - he is probably worth pick 2... Whilst next years mids are said to be quality - I'd be comfortable giving up pick 2 for a known gun, like Danger, Treloar or Shiel.

Now onto this years draft, rumour has it that Dogs were going for Patton - he did his knee and they turned their attention to Boyd. We were quietly confident of landing Boyd next year with an offer around 300-400 less than what he eventually went for (or so I hear).

The money the Dogs paid Boyd, and Swans paid Buddy blew us out of the water. I believe the club when they say there were three contenders for pick one. So if it was a close three horse race, obviously you would pick the one who plays in a position that would cost the most to trade in.

ITs smart list management to not pay those crazy amounts and therefore went cold on the idea of trading in a big name forward like Cameron. The club has said we are keen on a free agent in 2015, I am not sure who.

The stories of how hard Paddy worked since the end of the season, and the question marks on Petraccas attitude only helps sway the argument in Paddys favour. The Boyd contract may have spooked us, but if Petracca really was a once in a generation player then I doubt someone who has known him personally like Richo does would allow him to slip through his fingers.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Let's be honest, unless you are Jaxons, Tony74 or are similarly in the know - we are all just speculating.

To discuss picking up Dangerfield where we otherwise could've gotten pick 2 isn't madness. I'm not entirely on the Danger wagon, but in an open market - he is probably worth pick 2... Whilst next years mids are said to be quality - I'd be comfortable giving up pick 2 for a known gun, like Danger, Treloar or Shiel.

Now onto this years draft, rumour has it that Dogs were going for Patton - he did his knee and they turned their attention to Boyd. We were quietly confident of landing Boyd next year with an offer around 300-400 less than what he eventually went for (or so I hear).

The money the Dogs paid Boyd, and Swans paid Buddy blew us out of the water. I believe the club when they say there were three contenders for pick one. So if it was a close three horse race, obviously you would pick the one who plays in a position that would cost the most to trade in.

ITs smart list management to not pay those crazy amounts and therefore went cold on the idea of trading in a big name forward like Cameron. The club has said we are keen on a free agent in 2015, I am not sure who.

The stories of how hard Paddy worked since the end of the season, and the question marks on Petraccas attitude only helps sway the argument in Paddys favour. The Boyd contract may have spooked us, but if Petracca really was a once in a generation player then I doubt someone who has known him personally like Richo does would allow him to slip through his fingers.

Im pretty sure Jaxons and Tony74 know pretty much the same as you or me. There is no way an employee would take the risk on this site of spreading stuff. My guess is both are very good friends with a saints employee. Anyway I think people have got this FA thing wrong. Of course Dangerfield is worth pick 2. He worth probably pick one as well but unlike Trelour or Shiel you can get him for nothing however if we lost Jack we may very well get pick 2 so yep get Trelour or Shiel for that pick but don't lose it for Dangerfield when we don't have too. He is free if he wants to leave and also wants to come to our club. Again however if we did lose Jack and get Dangerfield we are just doing a swap. A better swap of course but only a swap. If we wait a year after losing jack though we could with huge luck get Pick one plus a Trelour or Shiel and the year after get a FA in dangerfields class.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Whether we lose Jack or not, there's no rush to get an expensive FA in yet. We'll be crap for a few more years so use the early draft picks over the next few years on the best mids (especially if we get pick 2 for Jack) then chase an FA when we're closer to contending.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:Let's be honest, unless you are Jaxons, Tony74 or are similarly in the know - we are all just speculating.

Im pretty sure Jaxons and Tony74 know pretty much the same as you or me. There is no way an employee would take the risk on this site of spreading stuff. My guess is both are very good friends with a saints employee. Anyway I think people have got this FA thing wrong. Of course Dangerfield is worth pick 2. He worth probably pick one as well but unlike Trelour or Shiel you can get him for nothing however if we lost Jack we may very well get pick 2 so yep get Trelour or Shiel for that pick but don't lose it for Dangerfield when we don't have too. He is free if he wants to leave and also wants to come to our club. Again however if we did lose Jack and get Dangerfield we are just doing a swap. A better swap of course but only a swap. If we wait a year after losing jack though we could with huge luck get Pick one plus a Trelour or Shiel and the year after get a FA in dangerfields class.
Understand the thinking but who are the uncontracted free agents after the 2016 season that are in Dangerfields class?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"