Markworth - Serious Shoulder Injury

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Markworth - Serious Shoulder Injury

Season could be ended according to afl.com.au

He had a terrible run

We have had a sh.t start with injuries.

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Markworth - Serious Shoulder Injury

Poor dan, keep your head up buddy

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately for Daniel, he has become Menzel, Morabito like. Don't like his chances of making it now. He will be 24 at the start of the next AFL season and still hasn't shown whether he is even up to AFL standard yet. It's a pity he hasn't at least had the opportunity. He will need to be resilient.

If this true and he only has a contract for this year then his career is done unfortunately. Very sad because we didn't really see him play.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Great kid but just doesnt have the body to sustain the rigours of the game....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
70s sainter
Club Player

I'd be very suprised if he do doesnt play footy again this year even after a full shoulder reco.
The shoulder usually comes back tighter after a reco so requires a massive amount of physio to get the flexibility and strength back.
He can still keep a fitness base on the bike and walking initially , then running after a couple of months.
With swimming and weights after that.
Sure it takes about a year for it to feel 100% again but if he has the op now I think he ll play his first game in about 4 months .
Even 5 months is round 16.

Hammil didn't actually say his season was over.
We got him basically for Tom Walsh so I really want him to succeed.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Terrible news.

I guess you can have all the height, skills & pace in the world but if your body can't handle the rigours of AFL football it's all for nil.

At least he has a bright future outside of the game.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Gee that sucks - hopefully they offer him a rookie spot next year

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:I'd be very suprised if he do doesnt play footy again this year even after a full shoulder reco.
The shoulder usually comes back tighter after a reco so requires a massive amount of physio to get the flexibility and strength back.
He can still keep a fitness base on the bike and walking initially , then running after a couple of months.
Sure it takes about a year for it to feel 100% again but if he has the op now I think he ll play his first game in about 4 months .

Hope you’re right 70s sainter.

While it doesn’t look great for either Markworth or the other shoulder injury sufferer Siposs, I’m one of those people who doesn’t see much point in being negative or calling things early.

Don’t really see any point is saying this bloke’s cooked due to injury any more than saying Lee will be in the WAFL in 2 years time due to having insufficient ability.

It does make it very hard for these boys, but I hope like hell they can overcome the odds and prove the naysayers wrong :)

karnaby
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
70s sainter wrote:I'd be very suprised if he do doesnt play footy again this year even after a full shoulder reco.

While it doesn’t look great for either Markworth or the other shoulder injury sufferer Siposs, I’m one of those people who doesn’t see much point in being negative or calling things early.

Don’t really see any point is saying this bloke’s cooked due to injury any more than saying Lee will be in the WAFL in 2 years time due to having insufficient ability.

It does make it very hard for these boys, but I hope like hell they can overcome the odds and prove the naysayers wrong :)
I agree completely Doctor. Well said!

Good luck Daniel with your recovery.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

#standbydan

Get around him.

Get it trending.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

karnaby wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I agree completely Doctor. Well said!

Good luck Daniel with your recovery.
+1 here too.

Always loyal
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If this true and he only has a contract for this year then his career is done unfortunately. Very sad because we didn't really see him play.

I'd say he will be a rookie at worst.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If this true and he only has a contract for this year then his career is done unfortunately. Very sad because we didn't really see him play.

I'd say he will be a rookie at worst.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What a disaster. Thats just devastating for the kid, the club, the coaches and the fans.
Here is the link
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-06/y ... eason-shot

Will take a miracle to come back from here. 23yo on zero AFL games. Guys who come into the AFL at 22-23 (e.g Barlow) have already been dominating at the lower level for a couple of years. Pretty cruel. I think he could come back but mentally he must be shot to pieces.

So Saad comes on to the list now?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 06 Mar 2015 1:22pm, edited 2 times in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't think pluggs was wishing any ill on Daniel at all, just facing the facts of a debut-less player spending their fourth year on the list injured. His chances of going on would have to be low.

Not sure if Richo is a fan which makes it hard, Daniel wasn't selected for this weeks match even prior to dislocating his shoulder. I don't quite understand why they wouldn't be looking to try him out, particularly with Ray, Savage & Billings missing through injury. When would they give him a game if it isn't in pre-season?

If Richo has no intention of playing him, I'm not sure why they bothered to give an extra year… pretty sure he would have clocked up quite a few games had Watters continued as coach. Maybe he just isn't good enough.

bigballs
Club Player

Bloody hell, how unlucky can a bloke get. I really feel for Dan at this point in time, just can't seem to get a good go at it!!

This will be a great test of his mental strength to see if he can overcome yet another long term injury.

Good luck Dan, don't give up!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I don't think pluggs was wishing any ill on Daniel at all, just facing the facts of a debut-less player spending their fourth year on the list injured. His chances of going on would have to be low.

Not sure if Richo is a fan which makes it hard, Daniel wasn't selected for this weeks match even prior to dislocating his shoulder. I don't quite understand why they wouldn't be looking to try him out, particularly with Ray, Savage & Billings missing through injury. When would they give him a game if it isn't in pre-season?

If Richo has no intention of playing him, I'm not sure why they bothered to give an extra year… pretty sure he would have clocked up quite a few games had Watters continued as coach. Maybe he just isn't good enough.
And just to confirm that I was not referring to any particular poster in my post.

I read comments about Siposs and now about Markworth. On here, but also on other forums and also in real life discussions (yes, they actually do still exist :wink: ). Sometimes it comes across as being a race to call it first in situations such as this.

Who can be the first to say Lee is no good, or Schneider is past it, or whatever?

Nothing at all wrong with having an opinion; it's just the bullishness (for want of a better word) of some on occasions when it comes to expressing that opinion.

This is bad news for one of our players and I do wish, against the odds, that Daniel (and Arryn) can come back and still have a successful career.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Arryn is 22yo and has already played 28 AFL games.

Daniel is 23yo on zero.
Daniel will be 24 when the 2016 AFL season starts and on zero games.
Would take a miracle from here sadly.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:I don't think pluggs was wishing any ill on Daniel at all, just facing the facts of a debut-less player spending their fourth year on the list injured. His chances of going on would have to be low.

Tony said in another thread they were being cautious with him this week but he was earmarked for the Hawks game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Certainly not wishing the worst for Daniel. I cant wish bad upon any real saints players and if anything I stick for them maybe too often. Hope he gets back later this year so he can show something. And unless you are going to show an old post I don't think there is any point in being first to say a player will be delisted. I don't make a habit of showing posts when im right because there are far to many when im wrong. I think that would apply to most posters.
Last edited by plugger66 on Fri 06 Mar 2015 2:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He wasn't picked this week because he hurt the shoulder two weeks ago in the intraclub, not because Richo doesn't want to play him.
Very bad luck for the shoulder to pop out at training yesterday.

All the best for the future Daniel! Hope you make your debut later this year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of how careful and diligent the club have been, shoulders don't generally just pop out unless there is damage there already, and ligaments and tendons have already been stretched. Can't just be a coincidence imo. Obviously there was more damage to his shoulder than the club realised from his knock the other week. I don't believe he was just unlucky.

8856brother wrote:Regardless of how careful and diligent the club have been, shoulders don't generally just pop out unless there is damage there already, and ligaments and tendons have already been stretched. Can't just be a coincidence imo. Obviously there was more damage to his shoulder than the club realised from his knock the other week. I don't believe he was just unlucky.

So you don't think they had it xrayed? I will bet they did. They get xrays for more minor things than that and considering he had previous trouble with it I would say it was certain they did.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:Regardless of how careful and diligent the club have been, shoulders don't generally just pop out unless there is damage there already, and ligaments and tendons have already been stretched. Can't just be a coincidence imo. Obviously there was more damage to his shoulder than the club realised from his knock the other week. I don't believe he was just unlucky.

So you don't think they had it xrayed? I will bet they did. They get xrays for more minor things than that and considering he had previous trouble with it I would say it was certain they did.
Do x-rays show if a ligament, or ligaments have been stretched? I don't know the answer to that. I have had a shoulder reco, and when your shoulder is not dislocated it feels ok. But once your ligaments are stretched your shoulder tends to pop out quite easily. Mine used to pop out sometimes closing a door. Not sure of the circumstances behind Markworth's injury this week. Once there's damage, it only gets worse.

You will be right though.