Shenton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Shenton

I'll start by saying I don't think I've ever done this and it's probably pretty poor form, but I feel compelled to do this about one of our players.

Cameron Shenton.

He is turning 25 this year, has played a career total of 17 games.

Why do we persist with him?

The argument will be there that he played probably his best game for the club last week, in saying that, we are all watching him setting our standards for him at Shenton levels.

He is not a natural footballer, he gets lost in the backline and gets caught ball watching. His kicking is poor and decision making is shocking. The number of kicks to either opposition players or one or two/threes tonight was a train wreck.

I know we cannot play all of the kids at once, but the backline has Dempster, Fisher and Geary to go with the developing Delaney and Savage. It's not like a Schneider decision in a team with Lonie, Saad, Sinclair and Billings as those inexperienced forwards.

Wright was the sub, I don't know what Shenton in the team provides that Wright can't for a full game.

Then you have Dan McKenzie running around in the twos, sublime skills and massive talent. Blake Acres, whilst prone to the odd clanger or two also, is 19 with more potential and also building Sandringham form too.

Dyl Roberton, doing well, but playing on a wing. Eli is running around kicking 3 from 25 touches from a wing in the twos. Surely the team could benefit from Dyl playing Shentons role and Eli running on the wing?

Webster is now back in the twos. As far as I'm concerned this is a Billings prospect, one game to prove you have fitness and form then bang, in the ones backline.

I've named five players who I would rather see back there who need to be developed back there, who would definitely benefit the team going forward.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh on Cam, as I know he is a great guy, but his age, experience, and lack of skill is holding others back and it's not benefiting the team at all in my opinion.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shenton

At the moment we need cover in our defence because the ball is coming in a hella lot. That's what Shenton and Geary give you. They work well as a defensive unit with Fish, Demps and Delaney. At some point we are going to want to be more dangerous and penetrating with the footy in our hands from the back and that is where likes of Wright, Webster, Acres, McKenzie and new recruits will come in. Its a transition phase but I think you will see the pressure come on Geary and Shenton pretty soon. The best form of defense is offence. If you can't keep the oppo honest by giving good, penetrating rebound out of the backline they set up a fwd press like they did tonight. Savage was pretty good in giving run to break the lines before his injury.

andrewg
Club Player

Re: Shenton

Definitely looked the most second rate tonight....no better than a potatoe.

He should not be in our best 22 ever
Replacements
Webster
Gilbert
Acres
Simpkin
Goddard