The back six has to change

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The back six has to change

There is a real issue with having Geary, Shenton, Dempster and Delaney in our back six. Its too much cover defence without being able to hurt the opposition the other way due to poor ball use. Again we got pinned in our back half today. The oppo focus on shutting down Savage's run and make sure Fisher doesn't get free ball use and they know the rest of our defenders don't have the ability to work the ball up the field with possession so just set up a wall to lock it in.

I think Shenton has to go. Geary is coaches fav so I can't see him being dropped. There are some questions being asked about Dempster now. He's getting slower. He did a few nice things today as always with marks etc but isn't having the impact like last year and doesn't give a lot of rebound anymore. Some big questions about Delaneys ball use which we all know but I think we still need him to play on the gorrillas.

We might need to go backwards to go forwards by getting Goddard in, maybe Acres to start to get some play makers and guys who can use the footy back there to effectively launch attacks even if they are green defensively and leak a bit. Webster will hopefully be available soon. Gilbert probably still a bit off it. Maybe even McKenzie as a runner out of the back as he's meant to have a bit of toe. I'd like to see them be ambitious with our backs instead of being conservative using so many stoppers with average foot skills. We've got to look to the future and regenerate our defensive line because it is stagnating badly.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: The back six has to change

Get Webster back there as the attacking defender who pushes up to the wing.
Get Geary back in a defensive only role. Dont let Geary be used as an attacking player. Hes a liability in that role and the coaches are killing us by over-rating him to do that job.
Get Newnes back in Gearys role. Hes not good enough to be a midfielder but is a nice half back.
Push Savage back to a back pocket and let him take kick outs.
Phase Dempster and Fisher out of the side and start doing it now.
Shenton out and Gilbert in.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Get Webster back there as the attacking defender who pushes up to the wing.
Get Geary back in a defensive only role. Dont let Geary be used as an attacking player. Hes a liability in that role and the coaches are killing us by over-rating him to do that job.
Get Newnes back in Gearys role. Hes not good enough to be a midfielder but is a nice half back.
Push Savage back to a back pocket and let him take kick outs.
Phase Dempster and Fisher out of the side and start doing it now.
Shenton out and Gilbert in.
Pretty good Con. Gilbert is a fair bit off it though - he got rushed back last year with bad results. I'd like to see a bit of experimentation to try some things out while we can. Goddard playing on a tall could free up Fisher. Not sure about Wright. He shows some good dash sometimes but by God some of his vision and execution is poor and I'm not sure how smart he is defensively. Newnes worth trying back there for sure. Then there is Acres, McKenzie, Lee - I don't understand why we are so fixed with our backs. Two weeks in a row of not being able to get it out of the back 50 indicates a big problem. We need creavity and talent back there being developed, not just GOP.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Too bad we didn't keep McEvoy. He looks the goods as a key defender.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Agreed Dempster needs a spell or tried in different posi...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Webster Delaney Dempster
Savage Fisher Gilbert

Hopefully Gilbert and Webster will be ready to play in about a month

Sobraz
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote:Webster Delaney Dempster
Savage Fisher Gilbert

Hopefully Gilbert and Webster will be ready to play in about a month
With the eye to get Goddard in there within 24 months.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Back line is OK as it is.

Just need better defensive work in the forward half and need to win centre clearances.

And we need patience; lots and lots of patience.

Getting Gilbo's run from the back half is something to look forward to.

Saint supporter since '62
lefty
Club Player

I think Geary needs to play in the midfield.
Newnes needs to play in the backline and the same role he was playing last year.

Webster needs to join that backline, to give more run, and add onto Wright and Savage.

I can't see Geary keeping his spot. He's old enough to play in the middle. I know his kicking isn't the best, but he's highly rated, its time he stood up.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

We still need someone taller than 194cm to play on the gorrilaz as Delaney is too short (and slow) for that role.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im a big fan of Goddard. I think he will be a gun when hes ready.
He can take the gorrillaz.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Back line is OK as it is.

Just need better defensive work in the forward half and need to win centre clearances.

No we can't keep playing Shenton, Geary, Dempster and Delaney. We'll continue to get locked in our back half. Somethings got to give. I think Shenton will go. Dempster needs to prove why he is in the team other than that magic "experience" everyone trots out to justify some players. You see stats for handball, kicks, goals, marks, pressure acts etc. YOu don't see stats for "Experience" because its meaningless. It's what you do out there that matters.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:I think Geary needs to play in the midfield.
Newnes needs to play in the backline and the same role he was playing last year.

Webster needs to join that backline, to give more run, and add onto Wright and Savage.

I can't see Geary keeping his spot. He's old enough to play in the middle. I know his kicking isn't the best, but he's highly rated, its time he stood up.
Geary is not good enough to play in the middle. His kicking was dreadful today. ie Kicking in from FB managed to kick it wide so it went out untouched = free kick. One goal resulted, but should have been two as both were sitters. Under little pressure he twice kicked to Blue forwards. As a defender Bell kicked 4 on him.

Newnes should be playing down back, but is playing as a mid as we are short mids. Geary has failed most times he has been run on the ball.

Bottom line is that Geary will play on while we lack enough true mids. Ross being injured just made a bad situation worse.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
karnaby
Club Player

Just as an aside, the front six had better change a bit too. From when Paddy got subbed off, every time Longer or Bruce had a rest we were left with no key forwards. Unsurprisingly, Membrey and Shenton aren't quite up to that role.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
The Disch
Club Player

Problem is that Gilbo's disposals are on a par with Geary and co.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

No we can't keep playing Shenton, Geary, Dempster and Delaney. We'll continue to get locked in our back half. Somethings got to give. I think Shenton will go. Dempster needs to prove why he is in the team other than that magic "experience" everyone trots out to justify some players. You see stats for handball, kicks, goals, marks, pressure acts etc. YOu don't see stats for "Experience" because its meaningless. It's what you do out there that matters.

So you want 4 out? Who for? Thin air. Early in the year I said the backline on paper was no good and was told I was wrong. I actually think they are doing a pretty good job considering how poor our mids are. That is the real problem. In the second half yesterday the greatest backline would have been under pressure. It was coming down there so quickly. I thought Dempster was good yesterday but I agree that he did concede a lot of goals but he at least tried to rebound. It isn't the backline that's is an issue, it is clearly the midfield and by a long stretch.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We are losing it in the midfield. They showed a great shot yesterday where Shenton stopped and propped looking for a lead to kick to. It took so long for someone to run at him it gave time for Carlton to set up. Gilt who was a great kick struggled last year with it. Essendon doesn't have that problem with him. They are doing a bit of old school Malthouse where they go around the boundary a few times then set up a quick play up the middle if space opens up. The only problem is they lack poise and skill isn't as high as ambition. We will get better.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

The Disch wrote:

Problem is that Gilbo's disposals are on a par with Geary and co.
gilberts disposal is prob worse than anyones back there
i wouldnt even have him in the team going forward to tbh

shenton needs to stay down back imo
best kick over a distance, takes them on the most and backs himself in the most to break lines and run
webster will be too small down back imo, but needs to go somewhere

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:We still need someone taller than 194cm to play on the gorrilaz as Delaney is too short (and slow) for that role.
How many key backs in this comp are much taller than 194? Last year's AA defenders were Talia, Rance and Hooker. 194, 195 and 197 respectively. The year before were Scott Thompson, Harry Taylor and Michael Johnson who are 193, 193 and 195 respectively. Not sure where you're going to find a 200cm full-back.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I think that it has a lot to do with the ease and the regularity that the ball comes in. They are always under enormous pressure. Our mids are the real problem.

No doubt Geary's disposal is appalling at times and Gilbo's won't be any better. Savage had a defensive forward played on him yesterday, which reduced his impact. Delaney is a bit slow and Shenton doesn't have the class. Roberton is a good trier and should improve with extra experience.

Dempster always seems to under enormous pressure and has been holding up well.

citywest

Delaney will not be part of our team from next year. Hopefully by then Goddard will be ready to cement his spot in the back 6. Delaney will have to do for now but he is nothing more than a big body and a stopper at best. Harsh but true.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Yes the back six needs to be changed, but so does the forward six and the on-ball six. First player out for me would be Saad. Sadly, he just does not seem to be good enough.
I suppose the first one out will be McCarten then wright. I would persevere with McCarten. It is not as though we have full forwards knocking the door down for a game.
I still dont know why our selectors deemed that the team that got thrashed by Collingwood would be good enough.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote: I still dont know why our selectors deemed that the team that got thrashed by Collingwood would be good enough.
Not sure either but maybe there's some preplanned strategy that is designed to benefit individual players confidence ( e.g. Richo may have said to some of our 1st and 2nd year players that if they get a spot in the team they won't be dropped for at least a couple of matches) and that hopefully benefits the team in the long term. Team rules and planning like that might be behind the decision or maybe Richo made a blue and he learns from that - after all he's only 4 games in with his second year as coach.

The Swans won a flag with Richards and Grundy as KP Backs but the key is the distributors on the flanks. I think Webster will certainly help our back six for now but we need 2 more gun recruits who can kick. The midfield is the KEY for a climb up the ladder. As far as Goddard is concerned, I think he will replace Chips in the longer term - not Delaney.