Reverse of 1999 Hawthorn curse

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aaron82
Club Player

Reverse of 1999 Hawthorn curse

i remember the infamous 1999 Hawthorn debacle like it was yesterday. We gave it to Shane Crawford all day in particular Spider. Riewoldt copped similar treatment yesterday. It almost felt like we'd lost a final that day at Waverley. It was utterly embarrassing and scarred us for many years. Any side who was within 6 goals of us thought they were a massive show and if a side made a comeback we basically excreted ourselves and invariably lose. It took a long time to recover that day.

I rate yesterday as a long time saints fan to be one of the most satisfying home and away wins in my time. It went past the day we poleaxed the paper baggers on their turf in 2003 when we were about to be a force.

I spent yesterday in the outer standing room at about the 50 metre line in the Billings pocket. Too listen to some of the foul mouthed expletive driven crap from there supporters and to see them lose was soooo satisfying. Normally it is the minority but yesterday it was the majority. Calling Roo a Dutch homophobic word and security and police turning a blind eye. Calling us a rabble at half time yelling abuse about 28th spoon coming up. They were just a disgrace to their club, I'm glad my boys won't follow them. End of the game one of their supporters sooked it up and headbutted my old man. Police were quick to move then thankfully as it could have turned nasty.

Back to the game, we have a few stars coming through, McKenzie and Billings the best of them. We will cop a few beltings over the next couple of seasons but I couldn't be more excited. As for the dogs, I hope they are scarred like we were in particular Stringer who is still a nobody attacking a legend of the game.

Go Saints!!!

and that's the bottom line
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Reverse off 1999 Hawthorn curse

Yep, we didn't fully recover until the entire list had been turned over - 2004 really was when we moved on. Same thing happened to North against Essendon in 2000. 67 points up in second quarter and lost - end of the Roos as an AFL power and I would argue that they have never been the same since.
Geelong had similar humiliations - one against the Eagles and the demons weren't completely exorcised until they won their maiden AFL Flag in 007.
Losing like the Doggies did yesterday is worse than a 100 point flogging because a 100 point flogging can be put down as a bad day, or being outclassed. However losing by 150 or more points is an utter humiliation and takes a while for players to get their confidence back.
But losing like Footscray did yesterday is exteremely humiliating because they were 10 goals up IN THE SECOND HALF! That has never, never happened before at the top level of Australian Rules Football before in the history of the game. It happened on their home ground in front of their members, social club, coterie groups and sponsors, and came on the back of some extremely arrogant and unsportsmanlike behaviour from one of their young guns.
What made it worse for them was when Cordy celebrated in the final quarter when he thought he had kicked the goal which would make the game 'safe'. So, in a sense what happened is that they lost two games yesterday. The physical game and the psychological game. This could be very good for us because if we do meet again in finals in several years' time we may well hold the 'edge' over them.
I told a mate yesterday when they were 55 points ahead, that the team I like to beat the most is Footscray because of a game at the Western Oval in 1979 when we were outclassed. Templeton had kicked another bag and we were fourteen goals behind again. Most of the Saints supporters had left late in the game and Sidebottom was kicking for goal - not far out. Me and my old man copped a whole lot of abuse - I was 11 and crying - and Sidey missed and then we copped more. So when we got ahead yesterday I couldn't help myself by reminding people around me about some other LOL-worthy Bulldogs' chokes over the years - most notably the '97 prelim.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Reverse of 1999 Hawthorn curse

Was there at Waverley with a cousin who hardly ever goes to the footy. I promised myself never to invite him to another game. Thankfully was at the game yesterday with my son who loves his footy and is a passionate Sainter like his old man. The Dogs are still our bitches

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote:i remember the infamous 1999 Hawthorn debacle like it was yesterday. We gave it to Shane Crawford all day in particular Spider. Riewoldt copped similar treatment yesterday. It almost felt like we'd lost a final that day at Waverley. It was utterly embarrassing and scarred us for many years. Any side who was within 6 goals of us thought they were a massive show and if a side made a comeback we basically excreted ourselves and invariably lose. It took a long time to recover that day.

I rate yesterday as a long time saints fan to be one of the most satisfying home and away wins in my time. It went past the day we poleaxed the paper baggers on their turf in 2003 when we were about to be a force.

I spent yesterday in the outer standing room at about the 50 metre line in the Billings pocket. Too listen to some of the foul mouthed expletive driven crap from there supporters and to see them lose was soooo satisfying. Normally it is the minority but yesterday it was the majority. Calling Roo a Dutch homophobic word and security and police turning a blind eye. Calling us a rabble at half time yelling abuse about 28th spoon coming up. They were just a disgrace to their club, I'm glad my boys won't follow them. End of the game one of their supporters sooked it up and headbutted my old man. Police were quick to move then thankfully as it could have turned nasty.

Back to the game, we have a few stars coming through, McKenzie and Billings the best of them. We will cop a few beltings over the next couple of seasons but I couldn't be more excited. As for the dogs, I hope they are scarred like we were in particular Stringer who is still a nobody attacking a legend of the game.

Go Saints!!!
Everitt was a great player but he did things on the field which would fire up the opposition and their supporters - and when the tide turned in games, it made things a lot worse. Supporters more vocal. Other teams players getting in his face, etc etc. It certainly got loud yesterday when we kicked a few goals didn't it? And for the first time all day, St. Kilda supporters were up and about after the half time melee weren't they? We should have been silenced as they had just kicked a goal on the siren to put them nine goals ahead and make the game safe, but instead they rattled the lion's cage. Stupid.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Apples
Club Player

Yes, Stringer, thinks he is such an established star and so confident in his own ability that he can call a 5 time All Australian, 4 times club leading goal kicker, Club Captain and ledgend of the game a run down hack. As for the Doggies supporters, I find it amazing if you call somebody an "ape" you are taken into custody and grilled for two hours, paraded before the media and generally belittled into submission and then forced into a public apology, yet you can spend all afternoon screaming Riewoldts a f..ing poofter and that's ok, police just turn a blind eye, it's a strange world we live in.
As for the headbutter, had his cheap shot and when challenged went down into the foetal position saying don't hit me don't hit me, probably representative of his teams performace after half time.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote:i remember the infamous 1999 Hawthorn debacle like it was yesterday. We gave it to Shane Crawford all day in particular Spider. Riewoldt copped similar treatment yesterday. It almost felt like we'd lost a final that day at Waverley. It was utterly embarrassing and scarred us for many years. Any side who was within 6 goals of us thought they were a massive show and if a side made a comeback we basically excreted ourselves and invariably lose. It took a long time to recover that day.

Go Saints!!!
Oh well, they probably live in some Western Suburbs slum housing with no running water or sewerage.....at least us Saints fans are civilised bunch, including those like Bunk & 3rd gen that live out West!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote: End of the game one of their supporters sooked it up and headbutted my old man. Police were quick to move then thankfully as it could have turned nasty.
So you don't call some random boofhead headbutting your old man nasty?

They must breed them tough out your way aaron! :D

From my experience, quiet a few Bulldog supporters have chips on their shoulders and have an big inferiority complex when it comes to the Saints. Just like that flog Bulldog supporter who rings into SEN all the time and talks lies and nonsense.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

Go Saints!!!
Oh well, they probably live in some Western Suburbs slum housing with no running water or sewerage.....at least us Saints fans are civilised bunch, including those like Bunk & 3rd gen that live out West!
Saints have plenty of poor supporters as well just as all clubs do.

You are a worry sometimes, SP.

aaron82
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
aaron82 wrote: End of the game one of their supporters sooked it up and headbutted my old man. Police were quick to move then thankfully as it could have turned nasty.
So you don't call some random boofhead headbutting your old man nasty?

They must breed them tough out your way aaron! :D

From my experience, quiet a few Bulldog supporters have chips on their shoulders and have an big inferiority complex when it comes to the Saints. Just like that flog Bulldog supporter who rings into SEN all the time and talks lies and nonsense.

They do breed them tough out Noble Park way St Pav! In fairness the bloke appeared to be mentally challenged. It was his f'tard mates who just abused the crap out of all of our players. Billings copped the keep sniffing bonte's arse as that's all you will do tag which was tame compared to some of the other garbage. I swear Centrelink must have been offering free entry to alll dogs supporters yesterday. Can understand their slogan "Gather the Pack" as they were gutter dogs in support yesterday. All clubs have rogue supporters but not the vast majority like they did yesterday

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Go Saints!!!

Christ, you have no sense of humour do you? This is a thread about bagging the doggies remember!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote:Calling Roo a Dutch homophobic word and security and police turning a blind eye.
Imagine the furore if the equivalent was said to Adam Goodes. Guy would be kicked out and probably banned from games. Rooey probably laughed if off.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Since when has Riewoldt been Dutch?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Since when has Riewoldt been Dutch?
Or homosexual, not that there's anything wrong with that

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Go Saints!!!

Christ, you have no sense of humour do you? This is a thread about bagging the doggies remember!
Oh, ok. Hilarious!

I'm on board.

:|

aaron82
Club Player

They had no idea that he is of German heritage. Hilarious!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
There were rumours. Not sure why or who from. Probably jealous fans of other clubs that wanted him
in their side.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

When Nathan Thompson comes on the radio I still get a terror response. He was the man who nailed us to the wall that day. He really mentally screwed us for a long time. I was there that day with my Hawk supporter mate and was rubbing his head and laughing every time we scored another goal. I was silent all the way home.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

When Nathan Thompson comes on the radio I still get a terror response. He was the man who nailed us to the wall that day. He really mentally screwed us for a long time. I was there that day with my Hawk supporter mate and was rubbing his head and laughing every time we scored another goal. I was silent all the way home.

Freebird
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Whats right with it?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Whats right with it?
It was a line from Seinfeld.

If you want to discuss homosexuality as an issue, take it to the general forum.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Whats right with it?

Really? Wow.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I actually looked up this very game on Friday night, actually...it's still so fresh in my memory.

That said, I honestly believe we exorcised those Hawthorn demons just over two years later.

A wet, cold September night at the MCG...24 points down midway through the last quarter, only to see something incredible.

#CurseReversed

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Round 12 1999 StK vs Haw is a game that still haunts StK supporters.
We went into that game 4 points off top spot expecting to make finals after playing finals the two prev years. When Stewie Loewe kicked a goal early in the second quarter we led by 63 points. From then on Haw slowly pegged the margin back. Everything seemed to go their way and from mid 2nd quarter to mid last qtr they kicked 12 goals without a point (basically kicking them out their @rse). They won by 13 points.
But it was the end.
The end of that team – we missed the finals and were headed for the bottom.
The first nail in Timmy Watson’s coaching coffin.
It meant that every team we played knew they could beat us regardless of how far ahead we were, and when anyone came back against us we panicked.
It took 6 years, a new player list, a new coach and back to back finals appearances before we finally overcame the curse.

(Incidentally on that day Coterie member Rod Buttterssss invited former player colleague Grant Thomas who he had bumped into the prev week to attend as his guest. After watching the debacle Rod vowed he was going to do something and promised to join the board and talked GT into joining the footy dept – and the rest is history).

Perhaps R6 2015 will haunt the Dogs for the next decade?
The comeback will hopefully be the reverse of that Hawthorn 1999 curse for us.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!