Our future?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainters85
Club Player

Our future?

Watch Melbourne v Collingwood, Bradshaw is a gun, would've been good to pick him.. The plan should be to win as many games and build a winning culture at the saints unlike Melbourne back in 09.. Hopefully guns like Brayshaw and maybe Petracca will come to us as FA's
Should we make a play for Shiel and

Richo needs to starting gifting games to players that deserve it rather than who he likes more.
Tom Lee and Minch have to be given a chance to show what they've got.. I'm pretty sure this is Minchington's last year on contract.

Our rookie draft selections were terrible.. We could've tried and pick more kids like Sinclair who have potential and look further and pick someone like vandenBerg.

Future is bright :D

RW&B
Club Player

Re: Our future?

sainters85 wrote:Watch Melbourne v Collingwood, Bradshaw is a gun, would've been good to pick him.. The plan should be to win as many games and build a winning culture at the saints unlike Melbourne back in 09.. Hopefully guns like Brayshaw and maybe Petracca will come to us as FA's

Richo needs to starting gifting games to players that deserve it rather than who he likes more.
Tom Lee and Minch have to be given a chance to show what they've got.. I'm pretty sure this is Minchington's last year on contract.

Our rookie draft selections were terrible.. We could've tried and pick more kids like Sinclair who have potential and look further and pick someone like vandenBerg.

The only bad rookie pick was Saad. Sinclair has been very good. Payne has reportedly done some nice things at Sandy. Schneider has made us a better team this year - helping us to "build a winning culture at the Saints unlike Melbourne back in 09" - as well as assisting Jack Lonie to be a better player now and in the future. Our rookie picks certainly weren't "terrible" as a whole (IMO).

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
older saint
SS Life Member

Rookie picks have been quite good in the last few years. Remember Rookies are generally guys been overlooked by 18 clubs on 4 or 5 occasions for a reason. Looking at Weller, Templeton, Sinclair, Shenton, Schnieder, Minchington, Curren. All were picked on the rookie list previously or now. Schneider is only re listed player there among them. I think gifting games is a bad idea as guys are clearly not ready shouldn't be given games based on birth certificate. Sure if line ball then think about it but really cannot think of to many ion 2nds which should have got games ahead of experienced players in ones ( we don't have that many anyway).

Lee is clearly learning a new role as a defender ( i think Bruce's performance has seen this change occur as a last chance for his career), Minchington would be getting close but who comes out?

I like the mix at the moment and look at someone like Acres - best in Sandy for 2-3 weeks before getting a game , now like to see him get 4-5 games in ones before going back (if needed). Is that gifting games , maybe , but make them earn there way into the team first , then perhaps cut them a little slack.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we win this week - and I think we will - we might have to settle for pick 5.
Heck the way the Bombers are playing it might easily be pick 6.

We might have to tank after the bye :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

sainters85 wrote:Watch Melbourne v Collingwood, Bradshaw is a gun, would've been good to pick him.. The plan should be to win as many games and build a winning culture at the saints unlike Melbourne back in 09.. Hopefully guns like Brayshaw and maybe Petracca will come to us as FA's

You have to be trolling.

Petracca and brayshaw will be free agents in what 7 years?

Sinclair would have to be the best rookie picked this year too btw.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I'm really getting excited by Sinclair. 11 goals from 10 games often as a sub or being subbed off.
Great knack of kicking goals. I love it.
I posted back when Petracca got injured that it would take pressure of McCartin.
Now Brayshaw is showing positive signs we will get more negative posts about our recruiting but "our future" is looking good through my eyes.
I agree only Saad was a bad rookie pick and all of our draft picks in the last 2 years will make it and that's amazing

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:I'm really getting excited by Sinclair. 11 goals from 10 games often as a sub or being subbed off.
I posted back when Petracca got injured that it would take pressure of McCartin.
Now Brayshaw is showing positive signs we will get more negative posts about our recruiting but "our future" is looking good through my eyes.
I agree only Saad was a bad rookie pick and all of our draft picks in the last 2 years will make it and that's amazing

I think 2 out the 4 were poor. We didn't need Schneider or Saad. Who know if we would have got another Sinclair or another failure but I would have rather tried and failed than not try at all.

I hope next year we don't get any rookies over 21 years of age baring if we keep Holmes.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Goose is king wrote:I'm really getting excited by Sinclair. 11 goals from 10 games often as a sub or being subbed off.

I think 2 out the 4 were poor. We didn't need Schneider or Saad. Who know if we would have got another Sinclair or another failure but I would have rather tried and failed than not try at all.

I hope next year we don't get any rookies over 21 years of age baring if we keep Holmes.
Not sure how you can simultaneously support schneiders selection each week while bagging his spot on the list.

The club obviously recognised a potential gap in experience if injuries hit and that deduction has paid dividends...

I wouldn't have picked schneider either but can't argue with the decision now. Genuinely contributed to a couple of wins the year...

Even Saad, it's only because Lonie & Sinclair have exceeded expectations so far that he seems like a poor pick... Has played pretty well in the vfl apparently since being dropped, far worse picks in the rookie draft IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not sure how you can simultaneously support schneiders selection each week while bagging his spot on the list.

The club obviously recognised a potential gap in experience if injuries hit and that deduction has paid dividends...

I wouldn't have picked schneider either but can't argue with the decision now. Genuinely contributed to a couple of wins the year...

Even Saad, it's only because Lonie & Sinclair have exceeded expectations so far that he seems like a poor pick... Has played pretty well in the vfl apparently since being dropped, far worse picks in the rookie draft IMO.

Because he was there he was picked. he then has deserved a game every single week. If he wasn't there no one would know if he would have been value or not. I said at the time both players were wasted picks and I still say that. I think the rookie list should be for young players who for some reason were overlooked in the senior list. No amount of good games from Schneider will change my mind on that. And yep there are many worse picks than both od those but that's why I said I rather try and fail than not try at all.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

How old was Weller when we rookied him?

You are garbage - Enough said
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The other way to look at taking Schneider as a Rookie is it allowed us to take another pick (Lonie) in the main draft while keeping Schneider.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I get your point plugs. It's about probability. The more young picks you have the higher chance you'll have of getting some good ones.

BUT.....

hasnt Schneider helped foster that winning/team with a hope culture?

Sure, had we rookied another Sinclair we'd definitely have been better off going the youth route, but who knows?

Also, factor in Schneider has adopted Lonie as his "son". That level of mentoring is invaluable, and wouldn't be the same had Schneider been delisted and kept on as a part time coach

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Because he was there he was picked. he then has deserved a game every single week. If he wasn't there no one would know if he would have been value or not. I said at the time both players were wasted picks and I still say that. I think the rookie list should be for young players who for some reason were overlooked in the senior list. No amount of good games from Schneider will change my mind on that. And yep there are many worse picks than both od those but that's why I said I rather try and fail than not try at all.
Generally when the evidence shows (with hindsight) that your opinion was wrong people either deny the evidence or accept that their opinion was wrong. It's pretty original of you to accept the evidence and yet still insist you were right at the time.

Schneider would be more than justifying his spot on the senior list right now and you think he shouldn't even be on the rookie list? He deserves to be playing and as SrR pointed out, by moving Schneider to the rookie list we have very smartly managed to draft an extra talent to the senior list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Generally when the evidence shows (with hindsight) that your opinion was wrong people either deny the evidence or accept that their opinion was wrong. It's pretty original of you to accept the evidence and yet still insist you were right at the time.

Schneider would be more than justifying his spot on the senior list right now and you think he shouldn't even be on the rookie list? He deserves to be playing and as SrR pointed out, by moving Schneider to the rookie list we have very smartly managed to draft an extra talent to the senior list.

Im pretty sure I didn't say I was right now or at the time. I have a different idea how I think the rookie draft should be used whether its right or wrong. And he certainly deserves to be playing. Im pretty sure I have said that close to 100 times. I just don't think as a bottom club we should use it for 30 and 25 year olds. I think that is a good idea for clubs in the window.

Just one question then? Schneider deserves his spot in the side so I gather you would either redraft him or keep again as a rookie next season? I certainly wouldn't but we all have different opinions. I think we need to lose at least 2 if not 3 30 year olds next season so we don't lose them all in the same year.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote: Generally when the evidence shows (with hindsight) that your opinion was wrong people either deny the evidence or accept that their opinion was wrong. It's pretty original of you to accept the evidence and yet still insist you were right at the time.

Im pretty sure I didn't say I was right now or at the time. I have a different idea how I think the rookie draft should be used whether its right or wrong. And he certainly deserves to be playing. Im pretty sure I have said that close to 100 times. I just don't think as a bottom club we should use it for 30 and 25 year olds. I think that is a good idea for clubs in the window.

Just one question then? Schneider deserves his spot in the side so I gather you would either redraft him or keep again as a rookie next season? I certainly wouldn't but we all have different opinions. I think we need to lose at least 2 if not 3 30 year olds next season so we don't lose them all in the same year.
If you agree that he justifies his spot on the list then you can't simulatenously maintain an argument that he shouldn't have been on the list in the first place.

If his body holds up and he is willing I would keep him on the rookie list next year. Sinclair will be upgraded. Saad delisted/traded (probably). That will leave a rookie list with Schneider, Payne, Holmes and then room to draft 2 new players.

Our list management at the moment is becoming more and more difficult as we stock up on young players with unproved potential. Ultimately some will not make it but in many cases (eg Saunders, Markworth, Murdoch) it's just too early to make a definitive call.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Schneider is a good enough player to have kept on the main list except that his body has been so unreliable... In hindsight I have no probs with rookeying him so that Weller could be upgraded.

I don't think every rookie spot needs to be allocated for miracle young chance 18 year olds... It can also be used as experienced support/backup.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

With Brayshaw, Petracca, Hogan, Viney (Im sure Im leaving some out) Melb have some real quality coming through
Will be interesting to see what they have to put around them as this is where I believe Melb fall apart - unlike Saints they ditched their ageing stars/stalwarts years ago and I personally think it set them back enormously and stalled development of their kids.

Thankfully we opted for a more strategic approach, kept the older lynch pins and are now recruiting well...but we arent there yet for star power IMO.

“Yeah….nah””
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Our list management at the moment is becoming more and more difficult as we stock up on young players with unproved potential. Ultimately some will not make it but in many cases (eg Saunders, Markworth, Murdoch) it's just too early to make a definitive call.
Not too difficult for next year. Four pretty obvious cuts:

Markworth
Simpkin
Siposs
White

Rosco
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
FQF wrote:Our list management at the moment is becoming more and more difficult as we stock up on young players with unproved potential. Ultimately some will not make it but in many cases (eg Saunders, Markworth, Murdoch) it's just too early to make a definitive call.
Not too difficult for next year. Four pretty obvious cuts:

Markworth
Simpkin
Siposs
White
have a look at markworth this year (if he plays). otherwise probably gone.
simpkin - probably gone
sipposs - ditto
white - stays

realistically we need to cut at least one, probably two, maybe three 30 year olds.

who will they be? guys who will be near 30 at start of next season:

roo - will be 33 - goes on
joey - will be 32 - goes on imo
gilbert - will be 29 - gone if injury prone for rest of 2015? goes on if he plays 10 from here?
farren - will be 30 - maybe / probably gone
dempster - will be 32 - maybe / probably gone
fisher - will be 33 - gone if injury prone for rest of 2015? any chance he plays on?
schneids - will be nearly 32 - maybe / probably gone

dempster / fisher / gilbert - at least one goes, maybe two?
farren / schneids - at least one goes?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

I dont understand getting rid of Simpkin if Gilbo, Fish, and Dempster are all retiring in the next year or so. Sure we have Goddard but surely Simpkin and Lee will be required down back?

You are garbage - Enough said
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Our future ?

" is what ever you make it . So make it a good one !"

Thank you Dr Emmett Brown .

In red white and black from 73
FQF
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:I dont understand getting rid of Simpkin if Gilbo, Fish, and Dempster are all retiring in the next year or so. Sure we have Goddard but surely Simpkin and Lee will be required down back?
Simpkin will stay IMO.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Our future? Around 2017 it will look something like this, I expect

Webster ???? Roberton
Newnes Goddard Savage
Acres Dunstan McKenzie
Sinclair Bruce Templeton
Lonie McCartin Billings

Hickey Armitage Steven

Inter: Wright, Weller, Ross & ??? (midfielder)

If we can pick up three decent midfielders and a fullback in the next couple of draft/trade periods, then we'll have put most of the pieces together. Another tall forward would be handy, too.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't let Markworth go until we've had a really good look at him at senior level. Give the guy a chance to show what he's capable of before showing him the door. From what I understand, the club rates him as a talent. Would be foolish to delist him this year.

Simpkin and Siposs look shaky, and Fisher, although a fine player, is 34 next year with a recent history of chronic back and hamstring issues.

SMS
Club Player

Weller Ross and Templeton not good enough for a flag.

We need another 6 quality players including 2 A grade FAs.

And wheres Longer? Hes the ruckman.