Our Ruck Issue!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Our Ruck Issue!!!

I see we have 2 options,

Option 1 drop Longer, give him an extended run at Sandy with some specific things to work on such as his spread from the contest, applying scoreboard pressure and marking. Select Hickey as a ruckman.

Option 2 drop Longer (as above and promote Holmes as he will give you better tap work, and most likely will able to gain 8-10 positions (same as Longer). I can't see how we loose.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Ruck Issue!!!

footynut wrote:I see we have 2 options,

Option 1 drop Longer, give him an extended run at Sandy with some specific things to work on such as his spread from the contest, applying scoreboard pressure and marking. Select Hickey as a ruckman.

Option 2 drop Longer (as above and promote Holmes as he will give you better tap work, and most likely will able to gain 8-10 positions (same as Longer). I can't see how we loose.

They aren't going to promote Holmes over Sinclair or Schneider. I think if Hickey is fit then its time for a change. Gawn had a very good game. Longer just fair and ducked his head when needed in the last 2 minutes.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

They aren't going to promote Holmes over Sinclair or Schneider. I think if Hickey is fit then its time for a change. Gawn had a very good game. Longer just fair and ducked his head when needed in the last 2 minutes.
I'm not even sure he was on the ground in the last 2 minutes, he had a bloodied nose at the end of the game

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm not even sure he was on the ground in the last 2 minutes, he had a bloodied nose at the end of the game

Well it was close to the last 2 minutes. It was a sitter that needed to be taken.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I don't see any changes, I think coaching staff are happy with Longer, otherwise change would've been made weeks ago.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Longer played well and is only going to improve.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
dragit
Saintsational Legend

He didn't squib IMO, just clearly misjudged how close the Melbourne players were and decided to spoil.

But he's doing very little outside of being competitive at ruck contests.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Longer played well and is only going to improve.

And Hickey isn't. And Gawn killed him really.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

No he didn't.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No he didn't.

Well I think he did and you think he didn't. I stand by the point that if Longer continues to play Hickey isn't improving. I think Hickey puts a hell of a lot more pressure on the opposition ruckman than Longer. At the opposition know Hickey may go forward and take a mark.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:He didn't squib IMO, just clearly misjudged how close the Melbourne players were and decided to spoil.

At the ground he worked really hard today. Was putting pressure on and took a couple of strong grabs. He has the 6th most hit outs in the league so is doing something right. People are obsessed with something that isn't that big an issue. Hickey can play too but Longer has the spot for now.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No he didn't.

Well I think he did and you think he didn't. I stand by the point that if Longer continues to play Hickey isn't improving. I think Hickey puts a hell of a lot more pressure on the opposition ruckman than Longer. At the opposition know Hickey may go forward and take a mark.
Amazed the Richardson doesn't agree with you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:He didn't squib IMO, just clearly misjudged how close the Melbourne players were and decided to spoil.

At the ground he worked really hard today. Was putting pressure on and took a couple of strong grabs. He has the 6th most hit outs in the league so is doing something right. People are obsessed with something that isn't that big an issue. Hickey can play too but Longer has the spot for now.

People are obsessed with hit outs. Is there a more irrelevant stat in the AFL?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:

Longer was very good today around the ground. If you were at the game you would have seen that

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No he didn't.

Amazed the Richardson doesn't agree with you.

Obviously he doesn't. I will make sure from now on everyone posts on topics that only agree with Richo.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

If hit outs don't count let's just not play a ruck man at all. Longer gives us so much more at every contest.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Longer was good early, but faded.

Like a few others.

In regards to the ruck, I just want hickey to have a turn to prove his worth, be it seniors or sandy

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

If hit outs don't count let's just not play a ruck man at all. Longer gives us so much more at every contest.
Did I say we should do that? Max would have just grabbed the ball and handballed to his players. Its a very silly idea.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

He got a smack in the head.
, when he should have got a free kick

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He got a smack in the head.
, when he should have got a free kick

Maybe but that wasn't the one I was talking about.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Hey Plugger, I'd love to agree with you, but we looked awefull when Longer was off the bench, and Essendon got smashed without a ruckman. You can't live with them, but you can't get my without them

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Is Billy becoming the new whipping boy? Geez, apart from dropping that mark, he wasn't that bad. But yes, Hickey is a far better player. As Plugger mentioned, fitness is his issue.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stjay
Club Player

Longer won't be dropped until Hickey gains some form - I hope it's soon.
Reckon Longer actually causes a team imbalance. At least if Bruce is going to ruck, the switch of Bruce for Hickey is more likely to work.
On top of that, a mobile ruckman, working around the ground, racking up possessions and slotting the occasional goal is a far better proposition - which is Hickey.
Longer's stats show he was beaten in the ruck but I am willing to bet the actual story, in terms of hitouts to advantage, was far worse.
I can't back that with stats only the keen eye of somone who watched his performance intently.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Hey Plugger, I'd love to agree with you, but we looked awefull when Longer was off the bench, and Essendon got smashed without a ruckman. You can't live with them, but you can't get my without them

Don't want to get by without one. That would be suicide.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Longer was good early, but faded.

Like a few others.

In regards to the ruck, I just want hickey to have a turn to prove his worth, be it seniors or sandy
Couldn't agree more. As he tired Gawn lept higher and got to contests first. Longer battled well and didn't give up but, however improbable it may seem I'd also like to see a change and one that would fit with our philosophy of taking the game on.