Under 18 AA Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Under 18 AA Team

A fair chance one or two of these kids will be a Saint next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-04/v ... alian-team

stkfc1
Club Player

Re: Under 18 AA Team

Collins and Weitering are pretty solid units. If we could get one, we have a super solid spine along with Bruce and Patty.
Its becoming obvious you will spend big money on KPP. Get them in while they're cheap. Spend FA money on a gun midfielder when we're ready to go.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:Collins and Weitering are pretty solid units. If we could get one, we have a super solid spine along with Bruce and Patty.
Its becoming obvious you will spend big money on KPP. Get them in while they're cheap. Spend FA money on a gun midfielder when we're ready to go.

KP forwards get huge money. if we haven't got enough of them we stuffed up. We need mids and more mids otherwise the forwards and backs will never reach their true potential. If we don't take the best possible mid I will spew up.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stkfc1 wrote:Collins and Weitering are pretty solid units. If we could get one, we have a super solid spine along with Bruce and Patty.

KP forwards get huge money. if we haven't got enough of them we stuffed up. We need mids and more mids otherwise the forwards and backs will never reach their true potential. If we don't take the best possible mid I will spew up.
We also need an offensive key back (Jacob Weitering) just as much as mids if not more. Fisher, Gilbert and Dempster won't be around for much longer.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We also need an offensive key back (Jacob Weitering) just as much as mids if not more. Fisher, Gilbert and Dempster won't be around for much longer.
Will be interesting if we are pick # 3 and Weitering or Scache is still available.

I am hearing mid, tall, mid, so I'm thinking Parish/Mathesian/Balic/Tucker whomever is available and will hope we get Collins as a slider, then go for another mid with our third.

You are garbage - Enough said
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Francis..................big body......develop into a powerful mid

saint4life
stkfc1
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

My thoughts exactly OM. HG will be massive for us but he cant do it alone. We get our spine right and build around it. Dont disagree either Plugger. In the end you take the best available and if it's a mid, so be it. Just think we're better off spending FA money on mids than KPP as we have a few KPP options for a change but our backline is our most vunerable issue in age and personnel. Mids also an issue but more likely to land decent FA mid than FA KPP IMO.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Will be interesting if we are pick # 3 and Weitering or Scache is still available.

I am hearing mid, tall, mid, so I'm thinking Parish/Mathesian/Balic/Tucker whomever is available and will hope we get Collins as a slider, then go for another mid with our third.
It will be a tough decision if Schache is still on the board given we invested heavily into Paddy McCartin last year. I reckon if Weitering is available we would pick him without hesitation. Saying that though I think Weitering will be the first player called out. Schache I'm confident goes top 2 as well. Really want Parish however Mathieson, Tucker or Balic would be a good consolation prize.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It will be a tough decision if Schache is still on the board given we invested heavily into Paddy McCartin last year. I reckon if Weitering is available we would pick him without hesitation. Saying that though I think Weitering will be the first player called out. Schache I'm confident goes top 2 as well. Really want Parish however Mathieson, Tucker or Balic would be a good consolation prize.
And of course Hopper and Mills are in play with live bidding on the night

stkfc1
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

My thoughts exactly OM. HG will be massive for us but he cant do it alone. We get our spine right and build around it. Dont disagree either Plugger. In the end you take the best available and if it's a mid, so be it. Just think we're better off spending FA money on mids than KPP as we have a few KPP options for a change but our backline is our most vunerable issue in age and personnel. Mids also an issue but more likely to land decent FA mid than FA KPP IMO.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Paddy, Bruce, Goddard and.....Weitering is mouth watering.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And of course Hopper and Mills are in play with live bidding on the night
It's unfortunate that arguably 3 of the best 4 mids are academy players. Mills, Hopper and Kennedy will all be stars.

stjay
Club Player

Given the 20% discount on draft points a club will take if they bid for an academy player which is then ultimately matched by the academy club, I just can't see the point having a crack at an academy player.
The potential for losing draft position is just not worth it. In later rounds maybe but not first round.
Parish or Mathieson -I'll be happy, they're both guns.
Really like Dunkley too but it could be complicated with F/S.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:Given the 20% discount on draft points a club will take if they bid for an academy player which is then ultimately matched by the academy club, I just can't see the point having a crack at an academy player.
The potential for losing draft position is just not worth it. In later rounds maybe but not first round.
The point in bidding for the academy players is to ensure clubs pay a fair price for them. In the old system GWS would have got Hopper and Kennedy for around pick 10 and 28 when both are top 10 talents. I would bid on both if Weitering and Parish were gone. Mills I would bid on too. He's probably the best mid in the draft. I doubt Dunkley nominates as a father son. I believe he's keen to stay in Melbourne.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:
stjay wrote:Given the 20% discount on draft points a club will take if they bid for an academy player which is then ultimately matched by the academy club, I just can't see the point having a crack at an academy player.
The point in bidding for the academy players is to ensure clubs pay a fair price for them. In the old system GWS would have got Hopper and Kennedy for around pick 10 and 28 when both are top 10 talents. I would bid on both if Weitering and Parish were gone. Mills I would bid on too. He's probably the best mid in the draft. I doubt Dunkley nominates as a father son. I believe he's keen to stay in Melbourne.
Will certainly make it an interesting draft night

Rosco
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
I know little about those players, but if they are worth our pick (~4-6) then bid for them; we either get them or improve our later picks by a spot or two.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
I know little about those players, but if they are worth our pick (~4-6) then bid for them; we either get them or improve our later picks by a spot or two.
I can't see recruiters treating the academy players any differently to other draftees. Interview them, rank them, then call their name out at the draft if they are the best available at their pick. The northern teams either match the bid or they don't.

What will be interesting is if Kennedy and Hopper are bid on with very early picks and GWS don't have the points to get them.

stjay
Club Player

Here's the AFL document which explains the bidding system for anyone, like me, who needs a little help understand the implications.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20 ... system.pdf

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Rosco wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
I can't see recruiters treating the academy players any differently to other draftees. Interview them, rank them, then call their name out at the draft if they are the best available at their pick. The northern teams either match the bid or they don't.

What will be interesting is if Kennedy and Hopper are bid on with very early picks and GWS don't have the points to get them.
They can take them from later picks or down grade next years picks. If they forecast getting top 4 next year their pick will be an average one anyway so might as well do that and have a very good player this year. They really don't need a third round pick in a weak draft either though so they can't lose on this. They already have a killer list and at the moment they will be having to delist guys who they would probably like to keep developing. Guys like Mohr who were very good before injury might get jettisoned because they just need to find guys to unload to meet minimum turn over.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

What's with this obsession of wanting to draft defenders.

We need midfielders. The game is won and lost by the quality of the midfield.

lewdogs
Club Player

I love the look of Weitering. Looks like he could play anywhere too.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:What's with this obsession of wanting to draft defenders.

All I read was an obsession with drafting the best available kid. If the best available kid is Jacob Weitering - who as a 17 year old for the u18's Academy blitzed AFL listed players Majak Daw and Matthew Watson when they were playing VFL and some recruiters are on record as saying is the best key defender they've seen come through the u18 system and he could've played AFL senior football this year - so be it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:

All I read was an obsession with drafting the best available kid. If the best available kid is Jacob Weitering - who as a 17 year old for the u18's Academy blitzed AFL listed players Majak Daw and Matthew Watson when they were playing VFL and some recruiters are on record as saying is the best key defender they've seen come through the u18 system and he could've played AFL senior football this year - so be it.

I still cant remember the last KP back that has gone so early in the draft. I reckon it is real risky to waste a very early pick on a player who may only play back. If he can play well elsewhere then that's different. I hope the good talls are gone before our pick so we aren't forced to choose.

lewdogs
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

I still cant remember the last KP back that has gone so early in the draft. I reckon it is real risky to waste a very early pick on a player who may only play back. If he can play well elsewhere then that's different. I hope the good talls are gone before our pick so we aren't forced to choose.
I can understand that thinking with pick 1. But if we have pick 3/4 and Weitering is still there then it's a no brainer in my opinion.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

I can understand that thinking with pick 1. But if we have pick 3/4 and Weitering is still there then it's a no brainer in my opinion.

Agreed. Grab the best mid. Anyway its not going to happen. The 2 talls should go one and two. Hopefully we get an inside outside mid with good pace and skills.