What do we need and what can we offer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

What do we need and what can we offer?

The club has made it clear that this draft we need to look for outside mids with speed, or big mids(which are hard to get at 6).

I can not see us being big trade players as much as in past seasons as not sure what we really have of value to offer.

I think Carlie is overrated and a bit slow so will be glad if we miss him.

Speed to me is the big need and perhaps a KP Defender with a development spin on it - later pick.

Possible tradable assets that others may want - Seb Ross is the only one i could see being moved for the right deal.

Not really any others i would give up as can see big up side in most.

Interested in others thoughts ?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: What do we need and what can we offer?

Ross has done the slow build up, I think his value as a trade would be minimal compared to his potential. If we trade we trade our high picks for a guy under 23 with an already impressive output. Guys like Spencer could net us a third rounder or something to get something back. Tom Lee might want out if they aren't playing him.

Kernal75
Club Player

Future picks could make things interesting this year. Expect the club will need to be inventive if they want a crack at someone like Aish.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lee ain't going anywhere.
Unless we got offered something waaay to good to pass up.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Tom Lee ain't going anywhere.
One of the insiders on Big footy said he might want to leave and ask for a trade because he won't play next year on the back of signing Fisher and Dempster up again. He's been badly managed by the Saints and I think he's considered one of Watters boys by Richo. He had done as much as anyone to earn a senior game but they never come. I would want out too.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Agree...we have shafted Lee

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
One of the insiders on Big footy said he might want to leave and ask for a trade because he won't play next year on the back of signing Fisher and Dempster up again. He's been badly managed by the Saints and I think he's considered one of Watters boys by Richo. He had done as much as anyone to earn a senior game but they never come. I would want out too.

One of Watters boys? Seriously? You really must rate Richo as a bad coach if you think that. Lee hasn't played because he mostly isn't good enough. He isn't fast enough to play as a HBF and isn't big enough to play on a big. And Fisher and Dempster have played well enough and deserve to play ahead of Lee. Its up to Lee to make it impossible for him to not be picked.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lee is being groomed as a replacement for Fisher. He wont be traded.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
Fair enough to think he's been mistreated, he had done well in the 2's, but surely you don't believe his non selection is due to some issue Watters.

If Lee was so obviously good enough, he'd obviously make our team better; more likely to win, however incremental. So you are basically suggesting that Richo would potentially diminish our chances of success due to a personal issue with the past coach?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: One of the insiders on Big footy said he might want to leave and ask for a trade because he won't play next year on the back of signing Fisher and Dempster up again. He's been badly managed by the Saints and I think he's considered one of Watters boys by Richo. He had done as much as anyone to earn a senior game but they never come. I would want out too.
There was a little confusion yesterday with the "Sam signs 2 year extension" thread, which of course turned out to be Sam Gilbert. But does anyone actually know whether we have re-signed Sam Fisher at this stage? The contract thread still has him signed to the end of 2015.

This is all very relevant to the 2016 plans for Lee.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
gringo wrote: One of the insiders on Big footy said he might want to leave and ask for a trade because he won't play next year on the back of signing Fisher and Dempster up again. He's been badly managed by the Saints and I think he's considered one of Watters boys by Richo. He had done as much as anyone to earn a senior game but they never come. I would want out too.
There was a little confusion yesterday with the "Sam signs 2 year extension" thread, which of course turned out to be Sam Gilbert. But does anyone actually know whether we have re-signed Sam Fisher at this stage? The contract thread still has him signed to the end of 2015.

This is all very relevant to the 2016 plans for Lee.

He hasn't signed anything yet.

older saint
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Ross has done the slow build up, I think his value as a trade would be minimal compared to his potential. If we trade we trade our high picks for a guy under 23 with an already impressive output. Guys like Spencer could net us a third rounder or something to get something back. Tom Lee might want out if they aren't playing him.
If someone silly enough to give us a third rounder for Spenser then should do it in a heart beat. He struggles to make Sandy's best 22 - McCartin, Membury, Bruce, roo, Hickey and potentially Pierce all sit in front of him. Lee is an interesting one, think they would like to keep for insurance purposes and fact put away for the season tends to make me think they will keep him, but definitely lost badly in that trade