Joey the Defensive Architect

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Joey the Defensive Architect

Short article from the club website about Joey's switch to defensive quarterback and the thinking behind it. It also notes that we are ranked 4th for rebound 50 scores.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-04-2 ... -architect

bbm
Club Player

Re: Joey the Defensive Architect

I reckon this has been a major positive for us so far this year and congrats to the coaching staff for giving it a go. He has been hitting targets consistently with his long forward kicks and going at well above 80% DE for all the possessions he gets. He's a smart decision maker, doesn't just go the short dinky kicks, and complements Shane Savage on the other side. Has been an awesome contributor for many years and fantastic to see that he can adjust his game to suit the best interests of the team.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The step up of Newnes and Ross in the guts has freed him up to do this and its working well. That rebound and clean, penetrating kicking is so important these days with the zoning and press. We've got a few really exciting guys in Dmac, White and Rice who will hopefully come through who have really good kicking skills from the back. Tommy Lee can kick it with penetration too.

They'll probably try and shut Joey down from the back now so Savage and Webster (if in) needs to provide some real bite too from the back. You can't have all your eggs in one basket.

Legendary
Club Player

Underrated footballer.

Will play for another 3 years I reckon - could very well be in our next top 4 side.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:The step up of Newnes and Ross in the guts has freed him up to do this and its working well. That rebound and clean, penetrating kicking is so important these days with the zoning and press. We've got a few really exciting guys in Dmac, White and Rice who will hopefully come through who have really good kicking skills from the back. Tommy Lee can kick it with penetration too.

They'll probably try and shut Joey down from the back now so Savage and Webster (if in) needs to provide some real bite too from the back. You can't have all your eggs in one basket.

That's been the key hasn't it - the stepping up of our younger guys in the midfield meaning he doesn't have to carry so much load as a prime mid.

And maybe he can carry on for a few years yet. At his age one year at a time I know, but he is only 32, 33 in November.
He's been amazingly consistent and injury free over the last ten years.

Joey games played in each season since 2006.

2006 - 22
2007 - 21
2008 - 25
2009 - 24
2010 - 26
2011 - 21
2012 - 22
2013 - 21
2014 - 20
2015 - 17

He's in great form and could well be our next 300 game player. Here's hoping so.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

It has been incredible to see him still performing at a great intensity. He's been so valuable for us over the last decade or so. I was almost going to write him off a year or two ago. He'll dip in form every so often then bounce back to display what an integral player he is in the team. Quite the quarterback is our Joey Montagna!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:It has been incredible to see him still performing at a great intensity. He's been so valuable for us over the last decade or so. I was almost going to write him off a year or two ago. He'll dip in form every so often then bounce back to display what an integral player he is in the team. Quite the quarterback is our Joey Montagna!
I remember a couple of years ago reading that he thinking of giving it away, but the possibility of being a role model and leader for the young guys gave him reason to continue playing. Maybe as the young fellas continue to develop and with the whiff of us becoming a good team again in his nostrils, he might be inspired to keep going.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Sainternist wrote:It has been incredible to see him still performing at a great intensity. He's been so valuable for us over the last decade or so. I was almost going to write him off a year or two ago. He'll dip in form every so often then bounce back to display what an integral player he is in the team. Quite the quarterback is our Joey Montagna!
I remember a couple of years ago reading that he thinking of giving it away, but the possibility of being a role model and leader for the young guys gave him reason to continue playing. Maybe as the young fellas continue to develop and with the whiff of us becoming a good team again in his nostrils, he might be inspired to keep going.
Its an interesting one because we have some young midfield talent that (hopefully) will be knocking the door down for a regular seniors spot - Acres, Freeman, Gresham, maybe our high pick this year. If White, Dmac, Rice, Lee come through to provide some of that penetrating kicking from the back along with Webster and Savage, do you need Joey in that role? His advantage is his versatility and ability be an assistant coach on and off the field. But do you look at young guys who are more the future to get senior games and experience into them? Will be fascinating to see how we handle the transitioning of our older players.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Its an interesting one because we have some young midfield talent that (hopefully) will be knocking the door down for a regular seniors spot - Acres, Freeman, Gresham, maybe our high pick this year. If White, Dmac, Rice, Lee come through to provide some of that penetrating kicking from the back along with Webster and Savage, do you need Joey in that role? His advantage is his versatility and ability be an assistant coach on and off the field. But do you look at young guys who are more the future to get senior games and experience into them? Will be fascinating to see how we handle the transitioning of our older players.
I think as long as he continues to perform his experience and class is invaluable. Guys like Dmac, White, Rice are in the first and second years. Another three or four years, if Joey lasts that long, they will be coming into their prime. Currently Joey is fifth in the comp for disposals and fifth in average player ranking per game. You could argue he's in career best form.
His move back can maybe be compared to Hodge. He started as a mid if I'm not mistaken, but has really made his name as a defensive general and quarterback. Maybe Joey will have a new lease of life and give another two or three years in that role whilst the young fellas develop.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
I think as long as he continues to perform his experience and class is invaluable. Guys like Dmac, White, Rice are in the first and second years. Another three or four years, if Joey lasts that long, they will be coming into their prime. Currently Joey is fifth in the comp for disposals and fifth in average player ranking per game. You could argue he's in career best form.
His move back can maybe be compared to Hodge. He started as a mid if I'm not mistaken, but has really made his name as a defensive general and quarterback. Maybe Joey will have a new lease of life and give another two or three years in that role whilst the young fellas develop.
All good points. It's healthy we are not talking about "having" to play on but "should" he play on. Means we are developing the midfield depth that looked a real problem even only a year ago.

I think GWS will put a lot of work into trying to shut him down on the backline now he is providing a lot of our drive from there. That where we need Savage, Webster, Lee, Newnes to stand up and give good drive as well.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I've heard him he'd like to go out like Shane Crawford. He's not alone there...

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yes....but in the interests of team first mentally and not giving the guy an even bigger ego here's some stats

This is from http://www.afl.com.au/news/

Turnovers have been a problem for the Saints and Richardson conceded as much.

St Kilda is ranked 17th for points conceded from turnovers.

Sam Fisher, Leigh Montagna and Jack Newnes are the major culprits – each has given up 26 points from their turnovers.

"It's been an issue in all of our performances," Richardson said.

"(The turnovers happen) way too close to our goal.

"We need to get better, but having said all of that, we're still going to be really aggressive with the way we move the footy.

"We'll do some slight tinkering but not much."

With both Chips and Jill I'd think that because they are playing defensive roles and specifically manning up on an opponent, perhaps more than half their possessions are rushed. With Joey I'd say that half his possessions are not rushed so that is not a good statistic from one of our senior players. Especially for someone that gets a lot of footy from hanging around looking for a handball receive or kicking it to himself and playing on after a behind is scored.

I love how Joey represents our footy club in the media and he has been a consistent star of the team, and a great servant and is still a top contributor on field but his footy smarts means he gets more kudos than he deserves for big possession games.

When we smashed Collingwood most commentators gave him BOG for his 40 possessions including the coaches I think. I guarantee you he was not the most influential Saints player in that win.

Sometimes people forget to exclude useless handball receives where the footy goes backward before moving forward (Joey demands the footy when he's 5 metres behind the guy that's just taken a mark and then all he does sometimes is bomb it forward). Sometimes if your motivation for getting a handball receive is so that you can stack up possies instead of moving the ball and getting it quickly and directly to your teammate then you might be rushed and you might just turn it over...

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Yes....but in the interests of team first mentally and not giving the guy an even bigger ego here's some stats

Sam Fisher, Leigh Montagna and Jack Newnes are the major culprits – each has given up 26 points from their turnovers.

"We need to get better, but having said all of that, we're still going to be really aggressive with the way we move the footy.

With both Chips and Jill I'd think that because they are playing defensive roles and specifically manning up on an opponent, perhaps more than half their possessions are rushed. With Joey I'd say that half his possessions are not rushed so that is not a good statistic from one of our senior players. Especially for someone that gets a lot of footy from hanging around looking for a handball receive or kicking it to himself and playing on after a behind is scored.

I love how Joey represents our footy club in the media and he has been a consistent star of the team, and a great servant and is still a top contributor on field but his footy smarts means he gets more kudos than he deserves for big possession games.

When we smashed Collingwood most commentators gave him BOG for his 40 possessions including the coaches I think. I guarantee you he was not the most influential Saints player in that win.

Sometimes people forget to exclude useless handball receives where the footy goes backward before moving forward (Joey demands the footy when he's 5 metres behind the guy that's just taken a mark and then all he does sometimes is bomb it forward). Sometimes if your motivation for getting a handball receive is so that you can stack up possies instead of moving the ball and getting it quickly and directly to your teammate then you might be rushed and you might just turn it over...
Gee I reckon that's harsh to suggest he's motivation is for racking up stats at the expense of moving the ball quickly to advantage.

Yep turnovers have hurt us, but as the article in the OP said, we're ranked 4th for scores from rebound 50. Maybe it's a process of refining the way we execute our game plan and whilst we're developing it, mistakes are happening.
Maybe that's a reflection of a young team that is developing and learning. The young fellas individually are naturally taking time to develop and there's a parallel process going on with the development and execution of the game plan.
What I love is that there is a plan, they're working on it and it appears to be to play attacking, exciting, pressure footy.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Yes....but in the interests of team first mentally and not giving the guy an even bigger ego here's some stats

Even if it can be a bit bomby sometimes, at least Joey can kick it long to beat the press. As BRyon says he might be the best available until guys like White and Rice, who have really accurate penetrating kicking are ready for AFL. I think you're underplaying how hard he has to run to get the little handball receives that gets the ball moving. Jack Steven is the same - they work damn hard to get to support the guy with the ball and link up play and thats made a big difference this year. Footy now is so much about linking up and support to keep that ball moving. JOey's got the speed, quick hands and quick thinking to link up play which is why he racks up the possession.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was easily bog against Collingwood

He dominated