THE eternal stkilda problem of poor disposals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

THE eternal stkilda problem of poor disposals

We have a new generation of players coming through who can't kick properly.

It seems we have learnt nothing from the years of clinton jones fumbles, andrew mcqualter sprays, and sam gilbert miskicking..oh wait.. he is still playing for us.

We did get one (ONE) new player who can kick, billings, but that is all.

Why are hawthorn capable of getting 16 players who can kick as well as billings and we only have billings who can kick as well as billings?

Immensley frustrated we are meant to have a promosing rebuilt team, but it is same old problem....bad disposals.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Trixilver
Club Player

Re: THE eternal stkilda problem of poor disposals

This post is 100% spot on. Even Billings had an off day today, but we must part ways with players like Geary. The sooner the better. A good team simply needs good users of the ball. It's all well and good when Geary can stop dangerous smalls, but it's obviously pointless if he hands it straight back to them. Turnovers are death.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Hawks won't play players with shoddy disposal and I reckon I could count on one hand the number of stray balls the Giants kicked today. Of course if you can put anyone under pressure their efficiency tends to drop away, but we couldn't even do that for much of today. Depressing and a wake up call after taking it up to Hawks.

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Skills today were at VFL standard, almost hard to watch at times. We are really lacking a silky skilled midfielder who can use it properly

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Trixilver wrote:This post is 100% spot on. Even Billings had an off day today, but we must part ways with players like Geary. The sooner the better. A good team simply needs good users of the ball. It's all well and good when Geary can stop dangerous smalls, but it's obviously pointless if he hands it straight back to them. Turnovers are death.
How many did Geary turnover today?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Trixilver
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:
Trixilver wrote:This post is 100% spot on. Even Billings had an off day today, but we must part ways with players like Geary. The sooner the better. A good team simply needs good users of the ball. It's all well and good when Geary can stop dangerous smalls, but it's obviously pointless if he hands it straight back to them. Turnovers are death.
Who knows, I couldn't really tell players apart today. Too many of them did. Regardless you can't argue he's a player with good enough disposal, and I singled him out for that reason.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Even some of our more dependable guys turned the ball over today. Armitage had some shockers in the first quarter. So many opportunities to set up goals, but we blew it early. Catch up was hard work from then on. We had plenty who didn't make an impact today. Dunstan needs to stop fumbling the ball below his knees, while Weller's kicking was just atrocious (nothing new there). Minchington couldn't influence the play at all, and the same with Lonie.

stkfc1
Club Player

5 times today I saw the 10 metre dribble along the ground kick. Totally unacceptable at VFL level let alone AFL. Monty and Armo both culprits so when you see senior players doing this it starts the rot. Im sorry but paid professionals need to be held accountable. Ive seen suburban teams with better skills than I witnessed today. Not acceptable.

thecrevis
Club Player

Let's be realistic. Most of the saints players can kick a footy well. I'm thinking there must be too much of an emphasis on fitness and tactics, and not enough time spent practising basic skills at St Kilda. The disposal is an absolute disgrace and Richardson really has a lot to answer for. If the whole team is kicking terribly, they've either recruited terrible kickers (which is fairly unlikely), or they're just not working hard enough at training on basic skills. Or maybe they're not hitting the mark with their match simulations. The game of football has changed and you just can't afford to have the number of disgraceful kicks we had today. It's so incredibly frustrating to watch and it's been happening for such a long time.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Was worse today that normal. Riewoldt, Montagna, Newnes, Steven, and Armitage all did some shocking howlers today, which cost us scoring opportunities or cost us goals defensively. Add to that the usual suspects, and the outcome is not surprising. I wouldn't be blaming the coach for any of it. We know the limitations of Gilbert, Geary, and Weller, but with so few options to replace them, what does the coach do? Acres is no great kick, Templeton struggles to find the ball, McKenzie is miles away from peak fitness, Shenton is only so so, and Wright is even worse by foot than all those guys. Rice and White are just babies, and Murdoch has done nothing at Sandy to make the selectors take notice. Apart from Roberton and Longer, and perhaps Acres, we are pretty much at full strength. The coach has very little option but tho wear the fact that we do not have enough AFL standard players who are good by foot

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Trixilver wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
Who knows, I couldn't really tell players apart today. Too many of them did. Regardless you can't argue he's a player with good enough disposal, and I singled him out for that reason.
Wow you make a comment based on "I couldn't tell the players apart" , for the record he wears number 14 and this year his disposal efficieny is 80%, 6th in the team for the year. Today 83%

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Trixilver
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:
Trixilver wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
Wow you make a comment based on "I couldn't tell the players apart" , for the record he wears number 14 and this year his disposal efficieny is 80%, 6th in the team for the year. Today 83%
That's great. I also love his handballs that consistently fall at his targets feet from 5 metres away with no pressure.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Trixilver wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Trixilver wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
That's great. I also love his handballs that consistently fall at his targets feet from 5 metres away with no pressure.
and can you take us through those from today... no...didn't think so

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If you have to practice kicking by the time you get into the AFL there's something wrong, reality is, you are either a good kick or not... You basically have kicked the footy for 12 years and to unlearn habits under pressure is extremely difficult, and takes about 150 hours of drills after unlearning.
Otherwise guys like Cloke, Geary or worse Clint Jones would improve.

Players can't just spend all. Of training sessions 'practising' kicking
It's fairly expected that a player drafted from elite pathways has done basic skills and can kick.

It means poor recruiting, not bad training. You cannot have half you team below standard by foot

STKs most prolific possession winner/kick winner is a poor kick. Today he missed a 25m pass when he was in the clear.

Trixilver
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:
Trixilver wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Trixilver wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
I see, so you want me to go through and make a lowlights reel to prove to you that Geary has poor disposal?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Trixilver wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Trixilver wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Trixilver wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
I see, so you want me to go through and make a lowlights reel to prove to you that Geary has poor disposal?
He is no worse than many other players in our team when it comes to turning the ball over - so why single him out?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

thecrevis wrote:Let's be realistic. Most of the saints players can kick a footy well. I'm thinking there must be too much of an emphasis on fitness and tactics, and not enough time spent practising basic skills at St Kilda. The disposal is an absolute disgrace and Richardson really has a lot to answer for. If the whole team is kicking terribly, they've either recruited terrible kickers (which is fairly unlikely), or they're just not working hard enough at training on basic skills. Or maybe they're not hitting the mark with their match simulations. The game of football has changed and you just can't afford to have the number of disgraceful kicks we had today. It's so incredibly frustrating to watch and it's been happening for such a long time.
So last week against hawthorn when we kicked at around 80% was Richo a good coach then?

Trixilver
Club Player

Already explained why I singled him out. Nothing against him personally, I just want a good team who hit targets consistently. He won't be here as long as all those other players, and he's had long enough to work that side of his game out. If we want to build a premiership side, let's get players that use it.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:Hawks won't play players with shoddy disposal and I reckon I could count on one hand the number of stray balls the Giants kicked today. Of course if you can put anyone under pressure their efficiency tends to drop away, but we couldn't even do that for much of today. Depressing and a wake up call after taking it up to Hawks.
It must go beyond this at Hawthorn.

It must be a core principle, a rule, a commandment at Hawthorn.

Thou shalt not kick like a Wangaratta 3rds player. Drilled into you the second you walk through the gates of hawthorn.

I agree with the other point there may be far too much focus on beep tests, skin folds, carbohydrate intake, blood sugar levels and NOT on kicking the football. Simply kicking the football.
So frustrating after all that time with Mcqualter, Mcgough, C.Jones...it's happening again.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
derby Street
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:
Trixilver wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Trixilver wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
You need to have a look at the replay - as far as DE goes it depends a lot on where they get possession and under what pressure.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If you have to practice kicking by the time you get into the AFL there's something wrong, reality is, you are either a good kick or not... You basically have kicked the footy for 12 years and to unlearn habits under pressure is extremely difficult, and takes about 150 hours of drills after unlearning.
Otherwise guys like Cloke, Geary or worse Clint Jones would improve.

Players can't just spend all. Of training sessions 'practising' kicking
It's fairly expected that a player drafted from elite pathways has done basic skills and can kick.

It means poor recruiting, not bad training. You cannot have half you team below standard by foot

STKs most prolific possession winner/kick winner is a poor kick. Today he missed a 25m pass when he was in the clear.
Just such an ill informed comment
Go speak to the Cats biomechanics coach who goes along to Calder Canons etc to help re-teach really good junior players who have been playing for years how to kick
Why? Cuss they've adopted so many poor habits over time.
Yes, some players kicking comes naturally to but many still re adjust once they hit AFL

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There is one ill informed comment here

I'll tell you what Teflon
One of us has studied Biomechanics, and has played 200 games of senior footy. The other thinks he knows what he's talking about.

Do you think Jarryn Geary has improved his kicking in 10 years at StKilda... As a pro athlete, training 11 months a year 5 days a week?
Do you think StK development coach Lindsay Gilbee doesn't know what a good kick should look like. Unlearning and reprogramming an OPEN skill is extremely difficult.
One thing is holding back Nathan Wright from being an AFL footballer, Jack Steven from being elite, Clint Jones from having a star career.
In numerous years, with professional coaching. How much improvement??????

Such an ill informed comment.