Saints v Melbourne - Round 6

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Saints v Melbourne - Round 6

We will smash Melbourne next week

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Melbourne - Round 6

We play a lot of small forwards who do not also impact through the midfield (though Weller can). Add to this the lesser number of rotations this year and hat makles for a big load on our "actual" mids.

Minch, Lonie, Weller, Billings, Sinclair.

Lonie is having a poorer year than last year. Billings is obviously better than he was today. Sinclair had a reasonable game today.

That is at least one too many.

Countering that we lack mids to bring in. Acres is the obvious one. Gresham I suspect will benefit from a run at VFL level where he can thrive and grow.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 24 Apr 2016 9:51pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Out: Paddy, Lonie, Minch - reasons pretty obvious. Paddy maybe a bit stiff.
In: The Skunk, Gresham, Acres

Longer for Hickey if he's too sore. DMac for Joey if his hammy is no good.

Smokey - White because we need guys playing who can kick.

Reckon Petrecca might get his first game against us. Good theater.

Will be another hard one to win.

##Edited - Sorry Eli, forgot about Acres.
Last edited by 8856brother on Sun 24 Apr 2016 10:06pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saintsational Legend

Who is the Skunk?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Not on what I saw today. We were never in it. No doubt Petracca will tear us a new one on debut just to rub it in
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 24 Apr 2016 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cant see us smashing them. Can see a very close game. Will be a tight one. Two evenly matched sides hopefully going at it.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Outs:

Minch - very poor today - its been a pattern of his to have a break out AFL game then not back it up
Lonie - playing small forward is a hard role but he's struggling to get the footy and when he does doesn;t use it the great way he used to. Going back to VFL gives him a chance to get some touch back
Lee - I thought he did pretty well today but I think they might want to get Goddard in and I can't see them dropping any of the other backs

Ins:
Acres - tough to be dropped after almost beating the reigning premiers - his size in the midfield would be handy
Goddard - was good against Sandy and showed some good kicking - his size would free up Fisher
Eli or Gresh - Both were very good for Sandy - maybe Eli as they might want Gresh to string some good performances together

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Who is the Skunk?
Membrey sorry.

SS Life Member

Out
Lonie - barely damaging at all this season offensively and defensive pressure wasn't great (0tackles)
Montagna - if injured, massive blow.

In
Acres - moves into minchingtons role through the midfield.
Gresham - for Joey, big (metaphorical) shoes to fill. Had a good game on Saturday.

Minchington moves to forward pocket in place of Lonie, he couldn't get the ball but had 7 tackles. The rest of the fringe players were okay I think, the rest who could be dropped on performance won't be.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Outs:

Minch - very poor today - its been a pattern of his to have a break out AFL game then not back it up
Lonie - playing small forward is a hard role but he's struggling to get the footy and when he does doesn;t use it the great way he used to. Going back to VFL gives him a chance to get some touch back
Lee - I thought he did pretty well today but I think they might want to get Goddard in and I can't see them dropping any of the other backs

Ins:
Acres - tough to be dropped after almost beating the reigning premiers - his size in the midfield would be handy
Goddard - was good against Sandy and showed some good kicking - his size would free up Fisher
Eli or Gresh - Both were very good for Sandy - maybe Eli as they might want Gresh to string some good performances together
You want to drop Lee for a guy who has played only one half decent game for Sandy this year?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lee was good today. Goddard is not yet fit enough after an interupted pre-season.

While Membrey was not brilliant I think our team balance would be improved by playing him instead of one of our current fleet of small forwards.Lonie is the small most out of form.

Tis a great pity that acres did not play on the weekend as he is another that I would like to play aginst Melbourne.

Gresh was good against Footscray, but it probably makes more sense for his development to give him a string of games against VFL midfields that to through him to wolves in the seniors again so quickly.

OUT: Lonie Minch
IN : Membrey Acres/Curren

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Mebourne will win next week

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

After ten years of rebuilding they would want to be favourites, but I am not prepared to concede defeat just yet. I would like to see some changes this week though, even if this is at the expense of experience.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne 2 in a row. They will probably have a Mad Monday to celebrate. I can see them getting ahead of themselves and having a stinker next week. Good for us.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Melbourne 2 in a row. They will probably have a Mad Monday to celebrate. I can see them getting ahead of themselves and having a stinker next week. Good for us.
Totally agree - we will redeem ourselves and Dees will not know what hit them

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Gotta drop Lonie.

Just have to.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Watched the Dees live tonight, impressive.

Gawn is a GUN
Viney very good
Tyson excellent

Watts very good, McDonald good

Jones, Vince as usual good

The_President
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Lee was good today. Goddard is not yet fit enough after an interupted pre-season.

While Membrey was not brilliant I think our team balance would be improved by playing him instead of one of our current fleet of small forwards.Lonie is the small most out of form.

Tis a great pity that acres did not play on the weekend as he is another that I would like to play aginst Melbourne.

Gresh was good against Footscray, but it probably makes more sense for his development to give him a string of games against VFL midfields that to through him to wolves in the seniors again so quickly.

If Curren or Templeton get selected over Acres, we should burn the club down.
Both Curren & Templeton are honest battlers.
Curren can hang his hat on his contested work.. But he's behind Ross/Dunstan/Armo.
Templeton can hang his hat on his first few games.. He has no tricks, average disposal and average pace.
Acres has tricks. Is Pendlebury like when it comes to finding space and working on a different clock to the others. And has bursts of speed (just look at the break away v the Hawks last week)
I don't know why he hasn't had an extended run in the seniors yet. The midfield is where we need to build. It would be a massive shame if Acres felt he had to move clubs for better opportunity

saintbob
SS Life Member

Out: Lonie (poor year)
Montagna
Geary

Ins: Acres
White
McKenzie

Griggsy
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:
Watts very good
Think this will be a break out year for watts. Could you imagine this place if we had to wait till paddy was 25...forums would melt.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

We've had a terrific run against the Dees, but I think that will come to end on Saturday.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I want us to beat the Dees, not sure why I can't stand Roos, but I hate his guts.
My belief is that he will get ahead of himself and confuse his team with Stephen Hawking game plan, and they aren't that smart.
We will win by at least 12 points- it will be close, but we will win.
Savage said a review was done straight after today's game, and guys know what's expected now.
Just hope Lonie gets rested because he does nothing in the F50 apart from some tackles, and needs a spell.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Out: Montagna (inj), Minchington, Lonie (rest)
In: Acres, Gresham, Murdoch

A bit more run and a bit more size/bulk.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Lee was good today. Goddard is not yet fit enough after an interupted pre-season.

If Curren or Templeton get selected over Acres, we should burn the club down.
Both Curren & Templeton are honest battlers.
Curren can hang his hat on his contested work.. But he's behind Ross/Dunstan/Armo.
Templeton can hang his hat on his first few games.. He has no tricks, average disposal and average pace.
Acres has tricks. Is Pendlebury like when it comes to finding space and working on a different clock to the others. And has bursts of speed (just look at the break away v the Hawks last week)
I don't know why he hasn't had an extended run in the seniors yet. The midfield is where we need to build. It would be a massive shame if Acres felt he had to move clubs for better opportunity
This.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:I want us to beat the Dees, not sure why I can't stand Roos, but I hate his guts.
Also rebuild by hard work, guts and determination, versus rebuild by cheating the system and pleading poor...I hope we shame them. Geez, we dusted them off last time we faced them and didn't even raise a sweat. No doubt this time will be tougher, but I think we match up well against them.