2 games clear of Freo after 6 rounds!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

2 games clear of Freo after 6 rounds!

pleasing.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2 games clear of Freo after 6 rounds!

saintspremiers wrote:pleasing.

Need a like button....Schadenfreude kicking in

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Kicked an extra 100 points too

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Freo 0-6 with a % of 69.

But hey they scored 64 points today. Ross would be pleased with that. 64 is about the average for his teams over the last 10 seasons. So on track. Well played! Ok they only managed 3 goals up to 3/4 time but 64 points is 64 points. Pleasing.

I mean the Swans won the GF in 2005 and only scored 58 points so 64 is a winning score right Ross? Ross....? Ross....?

longtimesaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Freo 0-6 with a % of 69.

But hey they scored 64 points today. Ross would be pleased with that. 64 is about the average for his teams over the last 10 seasons. So on track. Well played! Ok they only managed 3 goals up to 3/4 time but 64 points is 64 points. Pleasing.

I mean the Swans won the GF in 2005 and only scored 58 points so 64 is a winning score right Ross? Ross....? Ross....?
Can't wait to play them!

One year will be our year
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Ross after the game: “I see possibility and everything starts with possibility; see where you want to be and then get into action and repeat the action until you achieve."

Obviously hasn't read his Einstein or he'd know that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:Ross after the game: “I see possibility and everything starts with possibility; see where you want to be and then get into action and repeat the action until you achieve."

Obviously hasn't read his Einstein or he'd know that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity!
And where does he want to be exactly? He saw the 05 Swans win the flag scoring 58 points from close up and decided he wanted to be head coach and that is where he wanted to be. He then swung into action and through repetition has been trying to score 58 points week in week out ever since in the hope of achieving his aim.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con, you must like holding grudges.

Who cares

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

heard more than once this week that "the eight is set". Sometimes I really wonder about these media experts. We had just finished round 5 and the 8 was set????

Its an interesting season, and the interchange changes have really caught some teams off guard.

Anything can happen this season, although the GWS are looking pretty good at this stage, but the second half of the season will be telling with fitness and injuries.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
freely wrote:Ross after the game: “I see possibility and everything starts with possibility; see where you want to be and then get into action and repeat the action until you achieve."

And where does he want to be exactly? He saw the 05 Swans win the flag scoring 58 points from close up and decided he wanted to be head coach and that is where he wanted to be. He then swung into action and through repetition has been trying to score 58 points week in week out ever since in the hope of achieving his aim.
I had to laugh when I saw a quote from RL on Seven's Game Day: "Every day I wake and see opportunity" - the context is not mentioned: "Every day I wake (up and go online to check my bank balances) and see opportunity"......

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Lyon lovers on here gone real quiet, surely they haven't come to the conclusion that he's a snake oil salesman like the rest of us?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

LLLOLLL

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:heard more than once this week that "the eight is set". Sometimes I really wonder about these media experts. We had just finished round 5 and the 8 was set????

Its an interesting season, and the interchange changes have really caught some teams off guard.

Anything can happen this season, although the GWS are looking pretty good at this stage, but the second half of the season will be telling with fitness and injuries.
You dont make the 8 from 0-6. But agree the 8 isnt set although hard to see anyone currently in there dropping out at this stage.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 01 May 2016 2:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Con, you must like holding grudges.

Who cares
You obviously care as you have bothered to post. Having a hard time accepting that your 'guru' was just another snake oil salesman? I understand it is hard to come to terms with. Lyon has been trying to repeat the 2005 Swans Grand final by winning games with a score of 58. He has been trying this week in week out for ten years and he has been found out. His players no longer believe in this ideology and he is toast.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Con, you must like holding grudges.

Who cares
You obviously care as you have bothered to post. Having a hard time accepting that your 'guru' was just another snake oil salesman? I understand it is hard to come to terms with. Lyon has been trying to repeat the 2005 Swans Grand final by winning games with a score of 58. He has been trying this week in week out for ten years and he has been found out. His players no longer believe in this ideology and he is toast.

He's not my guru and unlike you, I don't fawn over anyone.

See my Gilbert post.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
mullet wrote:heard more than once this week that "the eight is set". Sometimes I really wonder about these media experts. We had just finished round 5 and the 8 was set????

You dont make the 8 from 0-6. But agree the 8 isnt set although hard to see anyone currently in there dropping out at this stage.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Freo sit below the Top-ups.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are we trying to suggest Lyon cannot coach?

No Fyfe, Mundy, Sandilands, Johnson

Could well be the last 6 years B&Fs

Freo have tipped over the edge like we did... He drained everything out of them... As he did with us

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are we trying to suggest Lyon cannot coach?

No Fyfe, Mundy, Sandilands, Johnson

Could well be the last 6 years B&Fs

Freo have tipped over the edge like we did... He drained everything out of them... As he did with us
Arghhh so players and lists matter?

I am not suggesting he cant coach but I am saying that coaches are never as great as people think and also never as bad as people think. Players and lists are pretty important.

Lyon arrived at the Saints and got himself a very good list with a bunch of AA players about to hit their peak - Hayes, Roo, Montagna, Fisher, Dempster, Milne, King, Dal Santo, Goddard - that is 9 AA players. I will repeat that slowly so you can take it in. 9 AA players! Imagine getting a list with 9 AA players? Unheard of.

Lets look at Freo - Pav, Fyfe, McPharlin Johnson, Sandilands, Mundy - 6 AA players!!

So he arrived at clubs with good lists with top grade players who were at the right age.

I am not saying he cant coach - But I am saying he isnt a genius or a great coach. Just a good coach (above average) with some limitations and possibly an inability to adapt or change to current times. He hasnt shown he can adapt and hasnt shown he can build his own list. So he is an above average coach but in no way better than that. If we had a great coach we would have won one and maybe two flags back then.

And other teams also have injuries - you really have to concede that 0-6 and a % of 69 is very bad. Excuses or no excuses. That is bad. Trying to win games scoring 60 points every single week is no longer a viable strategy. He is in deep deep trouble.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Freo are Farked. Sounds nice.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Freo are Farked. Sounds nice.

Plus 1

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No proof that Lyon can't develop his own list. He wasn't hired to build a list at either St Kilda or Fremantle. His mandate was to win a flag. Looks like he's going to fail.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:No proof that Lyon can't develop his own list. He wasn't hired to build a list at either St Kilda or Fremantle. His mandate was to win a flag. Looks like he's going to fail.
Well now his chance then. They just gave him until 2020. So lets see if he can do it.
LIST OF GREAT COACHES: Most premierships as coach
Flags Coach
7 Jock McHale (Collingwood)
6 Norm Smith (Melbourne)
5 John Worrall (Carlton, Essendon), Frank Hughes (Melbourne, Richmond)
4 ALASTAIR CLARKSON (Hawthorn), Leigh Matthews (Collingwood, Brisbane Lions), Tom Hafey (Richmond), Dick Reynolds (Essendon), Allan Jeans (St Kilda, Hawthorn), Ron Barassi (Carlton, North Melbourne), David Parkin (Hawthorn, Carlton), Kevin Sheedy (Essendon)

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I think the reason Lyon gets to me is this. He was a good coach for us insofar as he found a way for us to win games. But the players were subjugated to the method. He inherited this fantastic list but instead of encouraging them to play to their strengths and finding a style that suited the team, they all had to play the Ross Lyon way. With the result that we were deprived of seeing just how exciting those players were capable of being. The games were bug ugly week after week. It was wonderful to win! But we all know it was horrible to watch - we just hoped that somehow out of that relentless slog, they'd somehow grind out a flag. But given that it didn't happen, it's almost like having lost a whole generation of St Kilda players in a war! - we'll just never know how exciting it could have been to see all those guys that came through together playing with the energy and flair they were capable of - Lenny, Kosi, Reiwoldt, Ball, Milney, Montagna, Goddard, Nicky Dal... I wish I could have seen them all flourishing under someone like Richardson - but now we never will. And I feel like Ross Lyon stole that from me. I said in some other post that every team needs role players - but in Lyon's team, every player is a role player. Such a waste.

Legendary
Club Player

freely wrote:I think the reason Lyon gets to me is this. He was a good coach for us insofar as he found a way for us to win games. But the players were subjugated to the method. He inherited this fantastic list but instead of encouraging them to play to their strengths and finding a style that suited the team, they all had to play the Ross Lyon way. With the result that we were deprived of seeing just how exciting those players were capable of being. The games were bug ugly week after week. It was wonderful to win! But we all know it was horrible to watch - we just hoped that somehow out of that relentless slog, they'd somehow grind out a flag. But given that it didn't happen, it's almost like having lost a whole generation of St Kilda players in a war! - we'll just never know how exciting it could have been to see all those guys that came through together playing with the energy and flair they were capable of - Lenny, Kosi, Reiwoldt, Ball, Milney, Montagna, Goddard, Nicky Dal... I wish I could have seen them all flourishing under someone like Richardson - but now we never will. And I feel like Ross Lyon stole that from me. I said in some other post that every team needs role players - but in Lyon's team, every player is a role player. Such a waste.
It wasn't horrible to watch in 2009 when we averaged 15 goals a game and kept the opposition to 5.

We were top 4 in the competition for attack.

Riewoldt kicked nearly 80 goals in 2009, Kosi 50, Milne 50. Was it boring with 3 forwards kicking big bags?

Hardly role players...