More good signs from the youngsters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

More good signs from the youngsters

Gresham - 19 disposals today and keeps creeping those numbers up which is particularly good as he seemed to play mainly as that small forward again. His maneuverability is sometimes amazing - his fake out on the flank was great. He's still not quite hitting his passes (although he nailed one) but you can see he has the vision to spot them and then the technique to do neat little kicks in tight. When he starts landing those he's going to be a real set up player for us. I'd prefer though that he was given a break - I don't want to see him get burnt out in his first year.

Acres - Only 12 disposals but you can see what this dudes size and strength is capable of. He can stand up in tackles and still dish it off. He did that in the goal square and I think set up Mav for a goal. Looked dangerous pushing forward with his height. Needs to get more of the ball though.

Mckenzie - 11 disposals but showed a bit playing tall at marking contests, killing the ball or going for marks. Showed some really courage such as going back against Hogan and getting crunched. Will be a tough player but does he have the class to make it?

Billings - 18 disposals, 6 marks - I didn't really notice Jack a lot but he did a few really nice things and seemed to throw himself in to tackles. Probably a bit rusty getting back to AFL speed. We want him kicking as much as possible.

Sinclair 14 disposals - tough playing as that small forward and a little bit onball. Tried really hard. He's got a fair bit of class with the ball so you'd like to see him get more as he tends to use it well. Is he smaller size a problem for him at AFL level. Like Lonie seems to dominate VFL but maybe against the bigger AFL bodies gets a bit lost.

Eli got 33 disposals in the VFL. Surely deserves a run in the seniors. Give Minch or Gresh a rest.

George27
Club Player

Re: More good signs from the youngsters

A good thread, Bluthy.
I agree with your assessments. Gresh is so exciting to watch. Super vision. Did not always execute , but it will come.

Billings did a lot more inside this week - especially in the first half. But the goal kicking .. Ouch

DMac looks much more at home in the back line, allows him to use some pace ( looked lost up forward last week ). Worth persevering with - as you say, courage is unquestioned.

Acres played his best game since that stellar Rising Star game . Starting to look like he belongs .

There is an assurance about Sinclair when he gets it.

Eli has to get a game. Consistency at Sandy needs to be rewarded. Then there is McCartin hopefully to slot in too. A nice problem for the selectors !

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Acres - Only 12 disposals but you can see what this dudes size and strength is capable of. He can stand up in tackles and still dish it off. He did that in the goal square and I think set up Mav for a goal. Looked dangerous pushing forward with his height. Needs to get more of the ball though.
Hard to get a lot of it when you are playing as a small forward, so you have to factor that in. He and Gresham and Billings and Sinclair need more midfield time.

If Templeton comes in it will probably be for Minchington

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Hard to get a lot of it when you are playing as a small forward, so you have to factor that in. He and Gresham and Billings and Sinclair need more midfield time.

If Templeton comes in it will probably be for Minchington

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I agree with all of that Bluthy except the resting Gresham part. I think he is building incrementally at AFL level and I would play him for the rest of the season. I understand the resting theory and that he has showed us enough already but a four goal game could be around the corner and that could be huge for him. Also these close wins we have been getting are great for all these young guys. Imagine if we rested him for the Geelong game to give him two weeks off.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Dunstan also had 17 and a goal in his 50th game.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Would love to have seen Minch get some time in the middle

Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

Actually think we are seeing Acres starting to become a consistent contributor now. As he gets more experience, those skills will become more dominant. Has kept his spot in the side.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Somewhere on another thread somebody said everything Acres does is in slow motion. I think the writer thinks he is a bit slow, rather than my perception which is he has a rare ability to create a bit of time and space. Dare I say his ability to sidestep and opponent is reminiscent of the great L Hayes. I for one am looking forward to watching his development over the next two years.

Similarly, DMac is getting to much scrutiny from too many. He's played less than a dozen games, for crying out loud! He does all the team things, will develop into a more than serviceable player. Just needs more games.

Saint supporter since '62
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Lethal seemed to think Minch followed Nath Jones around, no?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Somewhere on another thread somebody said everything Acres does is in slow motion. I think the writer thinks he is a bit slow, rather than my perception which is he has a rare ability to create a bit of time and space. Dare I say his ability to sidestep and opponent is reminiscent of the great L Hayes. I for one am looking forward to watching his development over the next two years.

Similarly, DMac is getting to much scrutiny from too many. He's played less than a dozen games, for crying out loud! He does all the team things, will develop into a more than serviceable player. Just needs more games.

Agree with you on both counts. Both are still developing players.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:Somewhere on another thread somebody said everything Acres does is in slow motion. I think the writer thinks he is a bit slow, rather than my perception which is he has a rare ability to create a bit of time and space. Dare I say his ability to sidestep and opponent is reminiscent of the great L Hayes. I for one am looking forward to watching his development over the next two years.

Agree with you on both counts. Both are still developing players.
They both showed yesterday why they are players of the future. Still works in progress (a few dodgy finishes) but so promising. Glad we resisted the urge to drop either and gave them a couple of weeks back to back.

Good thread; yesterday really showed the way to the future - can see Billings and Gresh working together magnificently once they spend a bit of time in the same team. Sinclair did some great defensive work yesterday; imagine him with another pre-season or two when he doesn't get rag dolled.

Dunstan is the quiet achiever but I thought he played his role strongly yesterday and was so happy for him to slot that last goal in his 50th.

Future's brighter than we think - even Freezer got through! 8-)

Always loyal
carn_sainter
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:Gresham - 19 disposals today and keeps creeping those numbers up which is particularly good as he seemed to play mainly as that small forward again. His maneuverability is sometimes amazing - his fake out on the flank was great. He's still not quite hitting his passes (although he nailed one) but you can see he has the vision to spot them and then the technique to do neat little kicks in tight. When he starts landing those he's going to be a real set up player for us. I'd prefer though that he was given a break - I don't want to see him get burnt out in his first year.

Mckenzie - 11 disposals but showed a bit playing tall at marking contests, killing the ball or going for marks. Showed some really courage such as going back against Hogan and getting crunched. Will be a tough player but does he have the class to make it?

Billings - 18 disposals, 6 marks - I didn't really notice Jack a lot but he did a few really nice things and seemed to throw himself in to tackles. Probably a bit rusty getting back to AFL speed. We want him kicking as much as possible.

Sinclair 14 disposals - tough playing as that small forward and a little bit onball. Tried really hard. He's got a fair bit of class with the ball so you'd like to see him get more as he tends to use it well. Is he smaller size a problem for him at AFL level. Like Lonie seems to dominate VFL but maybe against the bigger AFL bodies gets a bit lost.

Eli got 33 disposals in the VFL. Surely deserves a run in the seniors. Give Minch or Gresh a rest.
Gresham is already our most composed/poised player with the ball. His hands off the deck are as clean as anybody else in the team. His movement through traffic is as good as anybody. I agree his foot passes still need to be tightened up but his creativity with the ball and defensive work are just marvellous. Last week he said his body feels great so I don't think he'll get burned out.

Acres struggled in the midfield but looked awesome up forward. He had the confidence to outbody his opponent and go for grabs, his recovery and follow-up were excellent and he looked very dangerous down there. Was very happy with how he played inside 50.

McKenzie to me is not up to the level. I prefer Murdoch for the same possie. He just looks a little bit caught in between the VFL and AFL.

Billings was pretty ineffectual. I wish his body language showed more intensity. First game back so he'll get better...we need him to kick the goals he missed though.

Sinclair looked so dangerous when he was near it. Love this kid...will be an absolute ripper in two or three years and until then he will continue to contribute. Can see him being a gun wingman. Was good yesterday...not super productive but not everyone in the team can get 25 touches. Contributed.

I'll add Meatball to this discussion. For mine he has earned his spot in the team every week. Can kick goals when he gets a look and is a genuinely good around a clearance, toey and he pressures well. Look for him to be big next year...if he can hold on to his spot then we'll look back on this season as the one where he was able to bridge the gap between dominating the VFL and contributing and stepping up to match it in the AFL.

Overall with the players mentioned, it was very encouraging to see them all able to contribute without being in the play the whole time. When they were involved they worked hard and looked very dangerous. Leaves one with the impression that they're just fitness and experience away from being really solid players like Newnes or Weller are now.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I had a peak on footywire yesterday and did a stats comparison for 'same age' for L Hayes v Acres. Hayes was averaging 15.8 disposals per game and Acres is averaging 16.
I dont like comparing players but I couldnt help myself :D .