JACK STEELE!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

JACK STEELE!!

supersaints
Club Player

Steele anyone?

I'm of the opinion that we don't throw the kitchen sink at a gun midfielder but continue the way we have recruited ala Mav, Members, Hickey, etc ... Just yet.
Think there are enough rough diamonds to be placed on the crown before we need to look at what jewel we really need, if Freeman comes good we already look quite ok..
Here is what they are saying about Steele

ST KILDA has joined the race for promising Greater Western Sydney midfielder Jack Steele.

The 20-year-old missed last week with a fractured hand but has been a solid contributor in the Giants' star-studded midfield in his first two seasons playing 17 games.

He has played 10 games this season without dominating but he is a ball magnet in the NEAFL and an excellent in-and-under type at AFL level.

AFL.com.au understands the out-of-contract Steele is yet to consider his future beyond this season as he concentrates on regaining his spot in the Giants team as it heads into its first finals series.

The Saints are building a list with a strong mix of experience and youth and are understood to be keen on continuing to bolster its midfield.

They have performed well this season winning seven of their last nine games to remain a rough chance for a finals spot and are becoming an attractive proposition for emerging talent.

Steele has averaged 15 disposals in just his second year and looks a strong type who would complement the midfield at several clubs although the Giants are believed to be keen to retain him.

The Canberra-product was picked at selection No.24 in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft after North Melbourne made a bid for him at pick No.15 under the AFL Academy Bidding System.

He made his debut in round 12 last season forcing his way into the line-up and performing well.

Steele has been linked in earlier reports with Richmond and Carlton and would be expected to have several suitors if he did decide to move from the Giants.

Steele is one of several young Giants out of contract at the end of the season along with forward James Stewart and sidelined defender Caleb Marchbank.

Marchbank has attracted interest from several clubs but remains a required player while the Giants are expected to trade Cam McCarthy to Fremantle at season's end.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

Re: JACK STEELE!!

Sorry Con when I posted the same thread yours wasn't on the site.. Didn't mean to STEELE your thunder

Go Sainters !!!!!
SuperDuper
Club Player

Don't know what he would cost but is a good target... I am all for this one..

That age is where you want to pounce.... get them for a bit cheaper, i.e. not our first rounder (if we give it we would get surely get a later first rounder back like last year) which would be required for Gaff or the likes...

Would take some trading, but if we end with him and a first rounder in the 2016 draft it would be a good off season
Last edited by SuperDuper on Thu 28 Jul 2016 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

What's he worth and what have we got to trade with?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Steele anyone?

[quote="supersaints"]I'm of the opinion that we don't throw the kitchen sink at a gun midfielder but continue the way we have recruited ala Mav, Members, Hickey, etc ... Just yet.
Think there are enough rough diamonds to be placed on the crown before we need to look at what jewel we really need, if Freeman comes good we already look quite ok..

Agree super, this bloke looks like a decent type, just the sort we should be getting after.

There was talk that we might get after an Andrew Gaff type, but he would cost a lot more money and not necessarily be much better. This guy Steele looks like a physically strong type who would fit right in and furter enhance our reputation as a physically tough side.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

We could trade away next years first round pick because after winning the premiership it will be pick 18 down to about 22 after academy players.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

kosifantutti wrote:What's he worth and what have we got to trade with?

What about a swap for Longer?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:I'm of the opinion that we don't throw the kitchen sink at a gun midfielder but continue the way we have recruited ala Mav, Members, Hickey, etc ... Just yet.
Here is what they are saying about Steele

ST KILDA has joined the race for promising Greater Western Sydney midfielder Jack Steele.

The 20-year-old missed last week with a fractured hand but has been a solid contributor in the Giants' star-studded midfield in his first two seasons playing 17 games.

He has played 10 games this season without dominating but he is a ball magnet in the NEAFL and an excellent in-and-under type at AFL level.

AFL.com.au understands the out-of-contract Steele is yet to consider his future beyond this season as he concentrates on regaining his spot in the Giants team as it heads into its first finals series.

The Saints are building a list with a strong mix of experience and youth and are understood to be keen on continuing to bolster its midfield.

They have performed well this season winning seven of their last nine games to remain a rough chance for a finals spot and are becoming an attractive proposition for emerging talent.

Steele has averaged 15 disposals in just his second year and looks a strong type who would complement the midfield at several clubs although the Giants are believed to be keen to retain him.

The Canberra-product was picked at selection No.24 in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft after North Melbourne made a bid for him at pick No.15 under the AFL Academy Bidding System.

He made his debut in round 12 last season forcing his way into the line-up and performing well.

Steele has been linked in earlier reports with Richmond and Carlton and would be expected to have several suitors if he did decide to move from the Giants.

Steele is one of several young Giants out of contract at the end of the season along with forward James Stewart and sidelined defender Caleb Marchbank.

Marchbank has attracted interest from several clubs but remains a required player while the Giants are expected to trade Cam McCarthy to Fremantle at season's end.
Who mentioned the kitchen sink?
And as great as Mav has been we need more A grade talent in the next two years to be a contender.
Getting in one good player a year wont cut it. We need 2-3. Mav was basically a lucky break. An exception rather than the rule.
Chances are we wont have a pick in the top 10 anyway this year.
As long as the price is right - then I think Jack Steele would be right up our alley.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Sorry Con when I posted the same thread yours wasn't on the site.. Didn't mean to STEELE your thunder
:wink:

Wombat15
Club Player

Would love to have the Superman the man of Steele at the club. Big bodied mid. Would be interesting if we could do a Carlton style deal and trade our first and get the others mentioned like Marchbank and Stewart also. If we could turn our first (as the main piece) into multiple players like that it would be a fantastic trade. but we would somehow need to get involved in Other trades to stay in the first round or try and get multiple seconds etc.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

That is the $64 million question.

I reckon he is worth a pick 12-16.
We will have a pick around 10 but no second rounder.
Using the points system - if they send us back a pick in the 40s then it is around even.

IF we did have a second rounder than pick 28 + Longer would be about right.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

In my dreams if we had big bodied inside blokes Acres and Steele dishing it out to Freeman, Gresham and Steven we would be bloody unstoppable in a few years!

supersaints
Club Player

Mm I'm actually suggesting we go for Steele rather than a very high priced mid... At this stage

Go Sainters !!!!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

We can also use future picks.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

You can never have enough Jacks.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

He is an in and under midfielder with no real speed just like Ross, Armo, Dunstan, Acres, Newnes....do we need another one? I would prefer an outside mid with real line breaking speed.

supersaints
Club Player

Con, Sorry I rent make it clear ... I meant that Sterle would be a very good get rather than some of the other mids posters are suggesting , I would like to get him..! Don't think he will cat the earth at all

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

Bloody pre emptive text... I hate it , hope you get the gist of it anyway

Go Sainters !!!!!
Playon
Club Player

Keep in mind were putting one of our figures in one of our pies

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:You can never have enough Jacks.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk
Haha... Good stuff.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

I hear we have two Jack Stevens

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Playon
Club Player

Not a lot, we could offer a 2nd rounder or a 1st for Steele and Marchbank

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Delusional. Think you'll find that other clubs in the bottom half of the 8 have indicated their preparedness to trade their first pick for him and a pick between 30 and 40. I'd be happy with this year's first round pick and next year's first round pick for Steele and Marchbank and a single 18-22 pick in either year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
Not a lot, we could offer a 2nd rounder or a 1st for Steele and Marchbank
We dont have a 2nd rounder.