2 rucks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

2 rucks

I don't know if Hickey was injured, he seemed to be hobbling but we must change our stance with Bruce in ruck.
Bruce provides nothing in ruck and can be affecting his forward role plus the opposition clearly dominates when he is in there.
Play him as a tall midfielder if we have to but not ruck.

As for a second ruck let's play either Pierce or Longer as the second.
Nothing to play for now so let's at least try it.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: 2 rucks

Hickey looked cooked last night, I reckon give big Lewie a chance at the top level and let's see what he can do with more ruck time.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think many ppl on here are a bit disappointed that by the end of the season we haven't really figured out our ruck dilemma

Between Hickey, Longer, Pierce and Holmes nobody was really sure at the start of the season how you could fit two into the team

Remember at the start of the season Longer was no1, Holmes had overtaken Hickey in the eyes of many and Pierce didn't even look like playing.

Pierce seems to have emerged as the most likely to be able to play KP and provide a ruck chop out. Given that he has played one game and it was decent... I'm disappointed not to have seen more of him. Or even more of Holmes with Hickey up forward and both Roo/Bruce pushing up the ground etc

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying different things and them not working but it seems as though we haven't even really tried that much

citywest

Now that we cannot make the 8 and Hickey is injured we need to experiment in the last 2 games. Play Holmes as the number 1 ruck and Pierce at centre half forward changing in the ruck. If Longer is up and running then play all 3 of them. There is nothing to lose now and everything to gain.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

2 rucks

Swannies kept rotating their not A Grade rucks on big Tom last night; he would have been flat out knackered had he not been injured twice. His courage to stay on after he did the ankle was massive. But we all know Bruce is just there to give him a rest; it's not fair to Brucey to make him ruck in anything other than the forward line.

We can't wait for Carlisle; if we use Carlisle to give a chop out we lose our monster back instead of our mobile forward.

Let's have a crack at Holmes and Lewie over the next couple of weeks. Longer's been signed and needs another pre-season after all his injury woes. But Lewie deserves a run and I'd like to see Holmes (emergency last couple of weeks at least) get a crack so everyone can see him at senior level again, given we have to upgrade him or lose him.

Big Tom deserves a rest. Epic season.
Last edited by SemperFidelis on Sun 14 Aug 2016 10:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always loyal
TC
Club Player

What about Roo as second ruck instead of Bruce? Using him won't unbalance the forward line like what it does with Bruce being moved. Using Carlisle next year in that roll could free his forward opponent and be dangerous.

Using Reiwoldt would essentially be moving a winger and one of our most competitive players we have ever had into the guts. He is already second up over the ground in any case. We have a guy who is so uniquely talented in football skills and athletic running ability for his size, can we make further use of his attributes and give ourselves something other teams don't have?

Could he do it?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Hicks twisted his ankle in the first quarter, battled on and went off in the last qtr. I've been saying we should have been trying Pierce this year as fwd/ruck with Paddy out. Hickeys' carried a huge load in his first full season free of injury.

Not sure what Longer's status is - whether he's still battling some effects of concussion but if not they should give him or Pierce a game the next and give Hicks a rest. But my understanding is Carlisle will be the relief ruck next year assuming they play only one ruck.

citywest

Richo should forget using a relief ruck and play 2 ruckmen. Why is Geelong able to play Zack Smith, Rhys Stanley and Blicavs in the one side yet we refuse to play 2?

citywest

I can't help thinking that Richo got too excited about possibly playing finals this year and lost his focus. This year was always supposed to be another development year but it hasn't turned out that way. Especially with the rucks. Holmes 0 games, Pierce 1 game and Longer 0 games (I know he has been injured). Surely if this year was looked upon as a development year then Pierce would have played at least 10 games and Holmes would have played 5 or more. The same can be said in reverse for the Gresh. He has played far too many games this year for a first year player, further evidence that Richo got over excited at the prospect of playing finals.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

TC wrote:What about Roo as second ruck instead of Bruce? Using him won't unbalance the forward line like what it does with Bruce being moved. Using Carlisle next year in that roll could free his forward opponent and be dangerous.

Using Reiwoldt would essentially be moving a winger and one of our most competitive players we have ever had into the guts. He is already second up over the ground in any case. We have a guy who is so uniquely talented in football skills and athletic running ability for his size, can we make further use of his attributes and give ourselves something other teams don't have?

Could he do it?
a bit like using Black Caviar to pull a milk cart

To the top
SS Life Member

We have 4 Ruckmen on our List.

Hickey has established as the class act which he was always destined to be.

Longer was a high Draft Pick, recruited and then consistently playing because of Hickey's injuries so getting good experience but matters have conspired against him in 2016.

Pierce is developing.

Holmes is romance.

What we have to evolve to is Hickey and Longer with particularly Hickey able to be deployed forward giving a real problem to defences because there will be McCartin, Bruce, Membrey and Hickey - and putting responsibility on Gresham and Weller and any mids going forward IF the ball comes to ground.

Longer is an "old style" crash and bash ruck who must improve in terms of taking contested marks and being an option - and such that he can periodically be on the ground when Hickey is rucking.

He is only young and this will come.

Hickey can be on the ground when Longer is rucking.

Bit like when we had Gardiner and King.

I subscribe to rucking ruckmen - not your KPP's

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hickey did his ankle.
No point playing Hickey for the last two games. I'd rest him up now. Was heroic for us this season. Well done to him. He might even win the B & F. Definite podium.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 14 Aug 2016 2:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Toy Saint wrote:
TC wrote:What about Roo as second ruck instead of Bruce? Using him won't unbalance the forward line like what it does with Bruce being moved. Using Carlisle next year in that roll could free his forward opponent and be dangerous.

Could he do it?
a bit like using Black Caviar to pull a milk cart
Might sell more milk!

shrodes
SS Life Member

Could he do it?
I wouldn't be putting a player with chronic knee issues in the one position on the ground where it's mandatory to go flying knee first at your opponent who is doing the same.
Bluthy wrote:Not sure what Longer's status is - whether he's still battling some effects of concussion but if not they should give him or Pierce a game the next and give Hicks a rest. But my understanding is Carlisle will be the relief ruck next year assuming they play only one ruck.
I think regardless of concussion effects Longer won't be playing AFL this year, simply because his heavily interrupted season would mean his aerobic and match fitness would be compromised.
Last edited by shrodes on Sun 14 Aug 2016 2:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Billy has resigned so perhaps there's plans to play them both next season. Lewis Pierce once at AFL level will be a very handy quick, mobile ruckman too. Just got caught out last night.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Richo should forget using a relief ruck and play 2 ruckmen. Why is Geelong able to play Zack Smith, Rhys Stanley and Blicavs in the one side yet we refuse to play 2?
Because Smith, Stanley and Blicavs can all get a kick when playing in other positions. Holmes and Longer can't even do it at VFL level.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Saint wagga
Club Player

cant see Holmes making it unfortunately but not too down about! Pierce and longer both show plenty of promise and hickey has established himself in the top 5 rucks in the Comp so our ruck stocks look healthy! Time, Opportunities thru injury and form will dictate what our best combo looks like for our next tilt at the flag! But it's exciting to have young players building they're career forging their own history now

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Cannot understand why Richo puts so much heat on poor Tom Hickey.
Bring in another ruck to help !
Can take intercept marks in backline, god knows they could use the help.
When the set plays are working, the backline can cope fine, but otherwise they could use some help.
Does he not see that asking Hickey to do 95% of the ruckwork is ridiculous?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
supersaints
Club Player

As soon as the other rucks can move forward or backward, take marks and provide a contest I have always had the opinion we will play two . I know lots disagree but I think the majority of sides will go to two rucks as the interchange numbers are likely to get further reduced.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

supersaints wrote:As soon as the other rucks can move forward or backward, take marks and provide a contest I have always had the opinion we will play two . I know lots disagree but I think the majority of sides will go to two rucks as the interchange numbers are likely to get further reduced.
Agreed so let's try it in the last 2 games. Rest Tom if his injured. Play 2 of either longer pierce or holmes. Need to start now.

citywest

ROLS-LEE wrote:
supersaints wrote:As soon as the other rucks can move forward or backward, take marks and provide a contest I have always had the opinion we will play two . I know lots disagree but I think the majority of sides will go to two rucks as the interchange numbers are likely to get further reduced.
Agreed so let's try it in the last 2 games. Rest Tom if his injured. Play 2 of either longer pierce or holmes. Need to start now.
I'd play all 3 of them.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Swannies kept rotating their not A Grade rucks on big Tom last night; he would have been flat out knackered had he not been injured twice. His courage to stay on after he did the ankle was massive. But we all know Bruce is just there to give him a rest; it's not fair to Brucey to make him ruck in anything other than the forward line.

We can't wait for Carlisle; if we use Carlisle in that chop out till we lose our monster back instead of our mobile forward.
Good point Semper. Carlisle is not the answer either. Is there any other team that rotates a CHB or FB through the ruck? KP defenders need to be KPD's, not rotating through the ruck. When they're in the ruck, who covers the oppo's best forward? Doesn't make sense to me.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think Lewis was very stiff to get dropped after 1 game, but otherwise none of the VFL rucks have really jumped out and said pick me.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

You can play two rucks every game and be disadvantaged every game where Hickey does not get injured.

Or you can go with just Hickey and be advantaged in every game that he does not get injured.

Until Pierce improves enough, and he is tracking well at present, then playing two rucks is cumbersome as Longer and Holmes are poor around the ground.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think we play one Ruck until our 2nd ruck shows they are good enough to contribute.
No point playing two Rucks for the sake of it if the 2nd Ruck is a passenger.

Having said that - I would send Hickey to the sheds. Has been a warrior this year. No point banging his body up now.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 14 Aug 2016 11:04pm, edited 1 time in total.